Belated Prime Rib Christmas Dinner

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
We had another Christmas dinner on Friday when my son and family came over. A very busy day in the kitchen and on the smoker and grill. In the morning I did some bread and another pumpkin pie on the WSM. In the afternoon/evening smoked a 9 lb. Standing Rib Roast in my large WSM and did a couple of sides to go along with it, Scalloped Potatoes and Green Bean Casserole. Here are some pic's.

I picked this up at Costco a couple of weeks ago and saved it for this cook. 4 Bone, just under 9 lbs.

Partially separated the bones from the roast and seasoned the meat. Used Chris A's method which is posted on the Bullet. Seasoning was salt and pepper only.

Finished seasoning and put in fridge until this afternoon.

Got scooting on my sides and dessert. Another pumpkin pie on the WSM.

Bread and the pie done.

Got the roast on the WSM at around 4:30. Smoker set at 250, two nice chunks of oak for smoke.

A little later got the scalloped potatoes on.

Then the Green Bean Casserole. The past 3 years I've been making this from scratch, but this year I caved and went with the canned beans and French's Onions.

Roast almost done. Didn't pull lid until 4 hours had passed. I should have pulled out of the fridge sooner as it didn't get up to room temperature before smoking.

Topped GB Casserole with more onions and gave another 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Potatoes done.

Pulled roast at around 120-125. Let rest for 20 minutes. I was going to put it in the oven and let it crisp up but ran out of time and everyone was hungry.

Sliced it up.

The end cut is closest to the camera so I doesn't look quite as rare as most of the roast was.

Plate.

This was a long, but fun day. The rib roast was outstanding. Really enjoyed salt and pepper only on such a fine cut of meat. The meat's final temp was about 130 internal, somewhere between rare and medium rare, I say closer to rare The center pieces anyway. The sides were outstanding too. My wife cubed up the bread and we used it for dipping in a Creamy Shrimp Scampi Dip she'd made earlier in the evening. Wonderful day and dinner. Happy New Year everyone and thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Outstanding, Cliff! Absolutely outstanding. Photos are fantastic. You sure know how to do it up right. What camera and lens combo are you using?

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Outstanding, Cliff! Absolutely outstanding. Photos are fantastic. You sure know how to do it up right. What camera and lens combo are you using?

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Thank you Ed. I'm shooting with a Nikon D7100. The lens is just the box lens that came with the camera. It's a Nikkor 18-55mm. I'm really just a novice, still learning.

Wow Cliff, just WOW! What an awesome cook and meal. The PR looks like the dictionary definition and all the sides including the pie on the WSM? You have really outdone yourself this time...

Regards,

John

Cliff, not like it's surprising, but that is a winner of a meal you cooked there. I have to agree with you that less is more with that hunk of meat.....let the hard work the cow did shine through! Add in all the sides, your bread (lovely!) and pie (pumpkin's not my favorite, but that looks delicious!), and you treated your family well.

Best to you in the new year!

Rich

Cliff, you have some serious culinary talent. That is a gorgeous dinner and I know how much work that is, but in the end you're tired, but with success like that it's worth every minute you put into it.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Back