Beef Plate(?) Ribs

Jerome D.

TVWBB All-Star
I cooked up a rack of meaty beef ribs today. When I bought them, the label just said "beef ribs" so I'm not sure if these are actual plate ribs. If any fellow forum members who are experienced in cooking beef ribs (I'm looking at you, Enrico :D) can tell if these are from the short plate section of the cow, it would be much appreciated. Whatever type of beef ribs these are, they definitely made for some good eating. Thanks for checking out the photos!

Some pictures of the uncooked rack. Slathered with a mixture of yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce, then seasoned with kosher salt, coarse ground black pepper, and garlic powder.

Action shots. The ribs were cooked with lump charcoal, using a combination of cherry and pecan wood for smoke. Total cook time was about 6 hours at 275°F, including a couple hours wrapped in butcher paper.

I ate one of the ribs off the bone, but served the remaining ribs sliced into bite size pieces for sandwiches because I have a ton of hamburger buns left over from Smoke Day. I didn't have any complaints about the results of this cook...flavor was good with just the right amount of smoke, and tenderness was right where I wanted it to be.

Great looking beef ribs Jerome! Kim (my wife) loves your baskets with the checkered paper! Oh also she wants me to cook her some beef ribs. Nice cook!

Jerome.
I'm no rib expert by any means, but these type of ribs are what we usually get over here in the UK. Known as English Cut Short Ribs They are cut from the short plate, 6th - 10th ribs.
Nice clooking ribs there.

Love those ribs. I get mine at Safeway before they cut them up for short ribs...they call plate ribs as well

Jerome, those are beef chuck short ribs, from the chuck area above the brisket. They are the NAMP 130 series of ribs...and they seem to be a tad tougher and leaner than the plate ribs, but if you cook them right, they'll end up like butter. They come in a 4-bone rack, and are ribs 2-5. I'm a Texas boy who has been smoking beef ribs for a lot of years...just did some last weekend too. And, those are mainly what I can find around my neck of the woods as well. It's very hard for me to get my hands on a rack of beef plate ribs, which come from the area just behind the brisket. Plate ribs are NAMP 123A...normally come in a 3-bone rack, and are ribs 6-8. Both cuts of ribs taste the same, cook the same, and basically look the same. I think the plate ribs are a tad meatier, but different barbecue joints in Texas serve different ones. You really never know which one you're getting, unless you ask them. But, I have learned to tell the difference from eating a ton of them through the years.

Yours look good! Good job! Here's a couple of pics of the last beef chuck short ribs I cooked. To me, you can't beat them...and they are probably the easiest meat to smoke. I usually plan on about 7-8 hours. I put a little heavier amount of pepper on mine, as that seems to be the Texas way...at least 2-1 pepper to salt, and I probably normally go 3-1.

IMG_7837_zpshu1hjwqb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

55126bce-869d-4be6-8dc6-e6a58ba2e0c5_zpsdyndctyc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm no expert on beef ribs or for much of anything else for that mater, but I've got to say whatever they are you did them perfectly. Nice cook!

Jerome, those are beef chuck short ribs, from the chuck area above the brisket. They are the NAMP 130 series of ribs...and they seem to be a tad tougher and leaner than the plate ribs, but if you cook them right, they'll end up like butter. They come in a 4-bone rack, and are ribs 2-5. I'm a Texas boy who has been smoking beef ribs for a lot of years...just did some last weekend too. And, those are mainly what I can find around my neck of the woods as well. It's very hard for me to get my hands on a rack of beef plate ribs, which come from the area just behind the brisket. Plate ribs are NAMP 123A...normally come in a 3-bone rack, and are ribs 6-8. Both cuts of ribs taste the same, cook the same, and basically look the same. I think the plate ribs are a tad meatier, but different barbecue joints in Texas serve different ones. You really never know which one you're getting, unless you ask them. But, I have learned to tell the difference from eating a ton of them through the years.

Yours look good! Good job! Here's a couple of pics of the last beef chuck short ribs I cooked. To me, you can't beat them...and they are probably the easiest meat to smoke. I usually plan on about 7-8 hours. I put a little heavier amount of pepper on mine, as that seems to be the Texas way...at least 2-1 pepper to salt, and I probably normally go 3-1.

Mickey Im very intrigued: how can you distinguish eating them ???

Back