Beef Plate(?) Ribs

Mickey Im very intrigued: how can you distinguish eating them ???

Enrico, normally the plate ribs, NAMP 123A, are a little longer (ribs 6-8) than the chuck ribs, NAMP 130, (ribs 2-5) because the carcass opens up more and the ribs are longer toward the plate area, as compared to the chuck area. An average plate rib will be approx. 9" long, and 1 1/2 to 2 lbs each. An average chuck rib will be approx. 6" - 7", and weigh around 1 lb. A plate rib will also normally have more meat, less of the tough connective tissue, but more collagen, which renders and gives them more of a buttery, silky texture that makes them almost melt in your mouth. That's not to say that the NAMP 130 chuck ribs are not delicious...they are. I just find them harder to cook, as well as a little tougher to eat.

A perfect example is looking at some of the Texas barbecue joints that do beef ribs. Louie Mueller's Barbecue in Taylor used to use the NAMP 130 chuck ribs, but changed about 5 years ago to the NAMP 123A plate ribs. Louie Mueller's Barbecue has been doing this for almost 70 years. When I asked Wayne Mueller about it, he said, "We use the 123A beef plate ribs. I switched from the 130 chuck ribs about 5 years ago because the protein to bone ratio is greater in the 123A, which means greater value for the guest but more importantly, it's a better cut of rib...The fat distribution and muscle flavor I find to be superior in the 123A." And, I must say that Wayne's are always spot-on...every time. Then, there's another famous Texas barbecue joint, called Black's...they've been in business for over 80 years in Lockhart. I'm not sure which ones they use the most, but I'm pretty sure they use both. Sometimes they are larger, very tender, and just great...most definitely plate ribs. Other times, I've gotten much smaller, tougher ribs, with so much connective tissue that I could hardly eat them...most definitely chuck ribs. Of course, Franklin's Barbecue uses the 123A plate ribs, as does La Barbecue and Stiles Switch...all in Austin. And, all three of those places are always great. There's another famous Texas barbecue joint that doesn't say what type beef ribs they cook, but I know they're using the chuck ribs, because of the smaller size, and the amount of connective tissue that is not rendered.

Mickey,

Thanks for all the great information on beef ribs! Your knowledge of the subject is encyclopedic. I wonder why meat retailers don't just label their cuts with the NAMP specification so that there's no ambiguity for customers when purchasing meats.

Enrico, normally the plate ribs, NAMP 123A, are a little longer (ribs 6-8) than the chuck ribs, NAMP 130, (ribs 2-5) because the carcass opens up more and the ribs are longer toward the plate area, as compared to the chuck area. An average plate rib will be approx. 9" long, and 1 1/2 to 2 lbs each. An average chuck rib will be approx. 6" - 7", and weigh around 1 lb. A plate rib will also normally have more meat, less of the tough connective tissue, but more collagen, which renders and gives them more of a buttery, silky texture that makes them almost melt in your mouth. That's not to say that the NAMP 130 chuck ribs are not delicious...they are. I just find them harder to cook, as well as a little tougher to eat.

A perfect example is looking at some of the Texas barbecue joints that do beef ribs. Louie Mueller's Barbecue in Taylor used to use the NAMP 130 chuck ribs, but changed about 5 years ago to the NAMP 123A plate ribs. Louie Mueller's Barbecue has been doing this for almost 70 years. When I asked Wayne Mueller about it, he said, "We use the 123A beef plate ribs. I switched from the 130 chuck ribs about 5 years ago because the protein to bone ratio is greater in the 123A, which means greater value for the guest but more importantly, it's a better cut of rib...The fat distribution and muscle flavor I find to be superior in the 123A." And, I must say that Wayne's are always spot-on...every time. Then, there's another famous Texas barbecue joint, called Black's...they've been in business for over 80 years in Lockhart. I'm not sure which ones they use the most, but I'm pretty sure they use both. Sometimes they are larger, very tender, and just great...most definitely plate ribs. Other times, I've gotten much smaller, tougher ribs, with so much connective tissue that I could hardly eat them...most definitely chuck ribs. Of course, Franklin's Barbecue uses the 123A plate ribs, as does La Barbecue and Stiles Switch...all in Austin. And, all three of those places are always great. There's another famous Texas barbecue joint that doesn't say what type beef ribs they cook, but I know they're using the chuck ribs, because of the smaller size, and the amount of connective tissue that is not rendered.

Thanks Michey for your explanation. I will spread it on my FB page to inform Italian Beef Ribs Lovers (growing every day)

Mickey,

Thanks for all the great information on beef ribs! Your knowledge of the subject is encyclopedic. I wonder why meat retailers don't just label their cuts with the NAMP specification so that there's no ambiguity for customers when purchasing meats.

Jerome, thanks...and I sure wish they would put the NAMP cuts on the package, as that would make it a whole lot easier for us...especially with beef ribs. I normally look at the number of bones in the rack (3 or 4) and length of the bones to distinguish between the chuck ribs and plate ribs. One thing I've learned when I cook the chuck ribs though...I save the last bone in a 4-bone chuck rib rack (it's actually bone #5 on the carcass as the chuck rib rack is bones 2-5) for me, as it's right next to the first bone (#6) in a plate rib rack. It will be the longest one, with the most meat on it. You'll notice rib #2 always has the least amount of meat.

I know I've bought cuts before that I didn't have a clue about, just because it was on sale, and I'd figured I'd find a way to smoke it. Like recently, I bought a "Choice Beef Chuck Cross Rib Roast Boneless", and to me, roasts have always been something the wife cooked in a slow cooker. But, this thing was the size of a small brisket, regular $6.99 a pound, on sale for $1.97 a pound. And, it was a little over 8 pounds...so I figured for $15 I'll figure out a way to cook it. :) But, then after researching what it was, I found it was basically a big ol pot roast. So, I'm gonna see what she can do with it. I never could even figure out if it were part of the NAMP 114 group, or the NAMP 116 group. So, if you know the best way to cook a cross rib roast, please let me know. From what I've read, it's a pretty tough cut...but have yet to read anywhere for anyone to say cook it like a brisket, even though that's what I do with a shoulder clod.

There's actually two guides for meat buyers and butchers...the North American Meat Processors (NAMP) and the Institutional Meat Purchase Specifications (IMPS). Their specs are exactly the same, but IMPS is run by the government, and is USDA approved. But, every butcher should know the NAMP cuts. However, as I've talked to butchers here in East Texas, I've found very few actually do. And, for example, Delmonico Steak...it is a different cut for the same name, according to where you eat it. What I consider a Delmonico steak is the last boneless chuck-eye steak where the chuck is split from the rib-eye. Some places say it's the first boneless rib-eye. Others say it's any boneless rib-eye and Delmonico just refers to how it's cooked. And, still others say it's any bone-in rib-eye. And, of those 4 different definitions of a Delmonico steak, you're looking at NAMP cuts 116D, 112A, 1103, and 1112A. So, I'm going to guess that putting the NAMP or IMPS specs on most pieces of meat would be way to confusing for most butchers...as well as customers. :)

Actually, here's a link to the IMPS cuts. Since it's a government entity, they provide their info free. :) This will really confuse you. LOL!! The first time I ever heard those numbers was about 8-10 years ago, while talking to a Texas pitmaster explain to me the difference in beef ribs. Until that time, I did not have a clue...I just noticed that sometime when I'd buy a rack of beef ribs they'd have 4 ribs and sometimes they'd have 3 ribs. I knew I always liked the 3-rib racks better, but had no idea why.
http://www.chefs-resources.com/wp-content/uploads/IMPS_100_Fresh_Beef_2014.pdf

Thanks Mickey for your explanation. I will spread it on my FB page to inform Italian Beef Ribs Lovers (growing every day)

Hey Enrico, glad to see you are spreading the love for beef ribs. And, from what I've seen from your beef rib posts, no wonder Italians are growing to love them. So, keep on cooking, feeding, and spreading the gospel of salt, pepper, smoke, and beef. It's hard to beat! And, you're doing an excellent job, my friend.

Back