Bacon made easy

Thanks Bob. This thing is 9.25 pounds. Given the weight, then cut it into thirds? What is the average size pork belly that you have been getting? TIA

Next question Bob. This thing is 9.5 X 19.5 so cut the 19.5 into thirds or about 6.5 inch. Is this correct? Sorry for seeming like a dummy but I don't want to make any mistakes. Don't know why bacon seems so daunting to me since brisket, pork butt, and most other meats seem basically simple, this just seems hard. I think it could have something to do with the exact measurements required for the TC or pink curing salt. I know your recipe uses TC. That begs the question, what is the real difference between Tender Quick and pink curing salt #1?

"This thing is 9.5 X 19.5 so cut the 19.5 into thirds or about 6.5 inch. Is this correct?"
yes

"That begs the question, what is the real difference between Tender Quick and pink curing salt #1"
I'd have to Google the exact differences, but Tender Quick is a complete cure, and the amounts used are very different.

"
Don't know why bacon seems so daunting to me"
Yep, you're over thinking this brother. :)

If using TQ, just measure one tablespoon per pound (it doesn't have to be dead on precise) rub it on and proceed.
If using pink salt, I'll get back with you, bedtime for this old guy. :rolleyes:

Bob, I think you are right in that I am over thinking it but I guess that is my nature. Don't worry about the pink salt, I have both that and MTQ. Got them both from Amazon just to be safe. As for bedtime, I hear you since it is close to eleven in your neck of the woods and only about nine here. I slept a little this afternoon and am already tired and want to go to bed. Thanks for all your help. Will start the process tomorrow morning after talking to a client.

Bob I.

I have been using 1/4 teaspoon of Prague Powder #1, & 3/4 tablespoon of sea salt for every 1lb of meat.
MTQ is not available here.

Oops, didn't see the bit you posted about not using the pink salt.

Last edited:
Not a problem Tony. I ordered both from Amazon just so whatever a recipe calls for I have the right curing salt. That is why the wife wants me to keep my spices and things out of the kitchen. I will slowly take over a few shelves in the laundry room.

Bob, You will find that making bacon is about the easiest thing that requires smoke you can do. It's mostly time that's involved. Relax your going to do fine.
Bob C will talk you through any thing that comes up. My biggest worry is making sure I get as much of the salt off as I can I do three 20 minute soaks after the rinse.

Show your wife this, both of those are just spices, rubs, etc. for the grilling and BBQ.

DSCN4223_zpsbdfppets.jpg

DSCN4224_zpsize2nsvg.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea Rich. Don't have any extra drawer space but I think I can claim some door space in the pantry in the laundry room.

Bob, a question, I have the belly on my WSM22 with the snake and apple wood. All vents are open and the grate temp only wants to get to about 124* after an hour. The dome therm shows higher. The bacon slabs are showing 84* and 87* and started in the 40* temp. Have never used the snake before so am unsure if anything else needs to be done of if this is ok. No water in the pan and a foil pan on the lower rack for any drippings. Thanks for any help.

Bob, a question, I have the belly on my WSM22 with the snake and apple wood. All vents are open and the grate temp only wants to get to about 124* after an hour. The dome therm shows higher. The bacon slabs are showing 84* and 87* and started in the 40* temp. Have never used the snake before so am unsure if anything else needs to be done of if this is ok. No water in the pan and a foil pan on the lower rack for any drippings. Thanks for any help.
You're ok at 124 for now, if it doesn't come up in another hour, maybe add a burning briq or two ahead on the snake a ways.
Sometimes the snake has to burn awhile for the heat to come up.
Cooler, longer smoking gives more smoke flavor and coloring on the bacon.
It's cured, so it's safe at lower temps.

Bob, finished the first try at bacon last Saturday and was very pleased. Thank-you so much for all your help. Couldn't have done it otherwise. Made three types, the regular per your recipe, the brown sugar, and maple sugar. I liked them all and my wife preferred the maple. Smoked with apple wood. Will never go back to store bought again. Will have a family taste off next Saturday.

The only thing I will have to really work on is fire control for such a low temp. Will have to experiment with that to find what works for me. This has opened up a whole new and fun experience in my BBQ journey. Thanks to all for there help in this endeavor and especially to Bob Correll.

You're very welcome Bob!
Happy you and the family like the results.

"Will never go back to store bought again."
I hear that a lot.
:)

You know something Bob, I also feel that way about most BBQ. Why spend money at a BBQ joint when I can make it just as good here and have fun doing it. Last time my wife and I went out for BBQ, cost $75.00 just for the two of us. For that I can feed the entire local extended family a lot of really great food and we all have a great time in the process. Besides, I love the leftovers.

Glad to hear of your successful bacon making adventure. I've got two 1/3 slabs curing. Tomorrow is air dry day and smoking will be Wednesday. My go to is brown sugar and Penzeys seasoned pepper, but this time one will get maple syrup and black pepper for something new.

Just a question Rich, how do you handle the maple syrup? For mine I used maple sugar. Do you mix the maple syrup and black pepper together and then slather it after the cure when you are putting it on the smoker? TIA

Just a question Rich, how do you handle the maple syrup? For mine I used maple sugar. Do you mix the maple syrup and black pepper together and then slather it after the cure when you are putting it on the smoker? TIA

Not quite sure how I'll do it. I just read about some a guy made some using maple syrup and pepper rather than maple sugar. I may use a syrup slurry with the pepper or maybe a slurry using maple syrup and brown sugar. I'll mess with it tomorrow and see what works best.

In the first post, one of the steps says; "Add brown sugar, and/or spices, if you would like."

I noticed in the recent Cooking Topics, one of the steps heading says; "Two Required Ingredients: Morton Tender Quick + Sugar"

My question is if Sugar is "required"? I wanted to just add Peper and MTQ to one slab. Other two slabs would be Maple Sugar and then Brown Sugar cinnamon, so no issue there.

Back