Bacon made easy

Thanks Bob.

If after the curing process I cook up a piece, to see if it's ok prior to smoking, & find it's too salty. Can I soak the meat to draw out some of the salt?

Apologies for such a basic question.

I would give it a good rinse, with some short soaks, prior to cooking a test piece.
Keep in mind an outer slice will be more salty, so judge by the second small slice.

On another note, that's a pretty thick piece of meat, wouldn't hurt to go 8 or 9 days to be sure the cure gets through to the center.
Don't forget to flip daily.

Day 7. Showtime!

After 6 days curing & 1 day in the fridge drying, it was time to give the cured bacon a pre-smoke test drive. I wanted a pre-smoke taster to see if it was worth smoking & not too salty. I sliced a thin piece off the end & grilled it. Outstanding!! Hopefully I will never buy shop bought bacon again.

I did not use Bob C's recipe, as I could not acquire MTQ here in UK. I had to use Prague Powder #1, & followed a recipe by a charcuterist over here. But the timings were nearly identcal, so was the rinsing, soaking & drying. Tomorrow I am going to cold smoke it over apple & maple to 140IT, then into a freezer bag in cold water to stop the carry over. My local butcher said he would quite happily slice it for me, as my butchery skills are rubbish!

Thanks again to Bob C. for the inspirational Size 9 up the back-side to go ahead and do this.

Pics to followin the next couple of days after the smoke.

:)

After 1.5 days of drying, uncovered in the fridge.

2afc1gw.jpg

Into the WSM. Tin-can Minion, with only 6 lit briqs & apple/maple wood smoke combo. Cook temp was steady at +/- 160F. Shooting for 140F IT.

dmpfnt.jpg

140F IT!!. 6 hrs. Into a plastic freezer bag & into cold water to stop the carry over.

520z8k.jpg

I will post a BLT later.

Thanks.

Looking very good Tony!
for British style bacon that is :p
Not to say I that don't like Canadian loin "bacon" too :)

curious, what do Brits do with pork belly?
also wonder if you've eaten American style belly bacon fired crisp or nearly so?

Looks great Tony. Bob is the one who used that size 15 (really?) to get me started and I've never looked back. Got two 3.5 pound slabs in the fridge as we speak. I have to watch my salt intake so I give my slabs a good rinse at the end of the cure and three twenty minuet soaks. That has worked out very well for us.
One of my favorite cures is using brown sugar, Penzeys California Seasoned Pepper and Sriracha, gives the bacon just a little heat. I reapply a lite coating of the seasonings just before I do the smoke.

Bob. Firstly I would like to say....belly pork is my favourite cut for grilling, no other cut of meat can beat it. Filet mignon, sirloins, rib-eyes etc etc, they do not cut it when it comes to pork belly...end of. I could eat it all day long, every day. I chose the loin for my first bacon coz the CEO likes lean meat. She is a commited Jack Spratt. Gotta keep the CEO happy.

I'll be totally honest here, and say that I am happy with the outcome, BUT.......pork belly would have killed it!! We just grilled a slice.......and it was lovely....but for me a tad dry. Hence why the next batch will be belly. (Don't care what the CEO says).

Bob. "What do you Brits do with pork belly?" Pork Belly is very popular here. We tend to cut it THICK............and grill it.......Hot & Fast!! There is no other better cut of meat.

:)

Edit: As Steve says, braised pork belly is to die for.

Many Americans call uncured pork belly side pork.
I do like that too, sliced thin and fried, or grilled in chunks or large pieces.
But still prefer it cured and smoked.
Hog jowls (cheeks) are good too!

FYI
Chris has posted my entire process, with photos, in the Cooking Topic section found here
I've also added the link to my original post.
Thank you Chris and fellow members for making this the best outdoor cooking forum on the entire web!

My thanks to Bob for new inpiration and Chris for the The Virtual Weber Bullet News - September 2016 and this forum/site.

Bob.
I have cured a 2lb belly & a 2lb back loin. Rinsed, into the fridge.
Both have been sitting, uncovered, in the fridge for a day and a half.
For various reasons, I am unable to smoke them until at least Saturday.
Will there be any adverse effects if I leave them as is, uncovered in the fridge, until Saturday?
Should I wrap in a freezer bag until then?
Thanks.

I don't see a problem Tony, as long as they don't pick up fridge odors.
Personally I'd wrap in plastic, or place in bags until ready to smoke, and check for surface moisture after a day.

Bob, I have a question, can I put the pork belly in a vacuum bag (Food Saver) or do I have to do a gallon type freezer bag?
TIA

Bob, I have a question, can I put the pork belly in a vacuum bag (Food Saver) or do I have to do a gallon type freezer bag?
TIA
Bob,
I usually cut a whole belly into thirds and just use freezer bags.
Most times I cure one piece, freeze the other two and thaw/cure as needed.
Some folks vac seal for curing with no apparent problems.
Welcome to the bacon makin' club!

Back