Anyone seen this?

OK well I had no clue they could be that way. How do you guys think it would fair if I placed it in my yard behind the house but not on the deck?

Sometimes it is definitely "beg for forgiveness". Besides, there is always the possibility of return. Now THAT would be a good time for major indecision. :LOL:

Larry get off the fence, you have been hashing around a pellet grill now the excuse is winter your way is damp pellets turn to mush. Empty the pellets after a cook and it cools down bring them inside problem solved. You ain't getting into pellet grills for less than that new. :)
I agree with Brian. You can rarely get to check out pellet grills at a price where you can recover most, or all, of you investment. The controller isn't going to be Mak precise but it's 1/20th of the cost. Temp swings in a pellet grill are not a bad thing so ignore what you read on the internet and judge it by how good the food tastes and how much smoke gets on the meat. I'm trying some charcoal pellets finally and mixing those with your wood pellets might give you a more familiar flavor profile. Hey, it's a new toy. Have fun.

So I am having confusion and concerns over a couple things. One, what does it mean PID Controller? What is advantage/disadvantage? Two it has a steel heat diffuser plate. Do those typically hold up? Maintenance? Ugh. And last I wonder if the darn thing will fit in my Highlander?

So I am having confusion and concerns over a couple things. One, what does it mean PID Controller? What is advantage/disadvantage? Two it has a steel heat diffuser plate. Do those typically hold up? Maintenance? Ugh. And last I wonder if the darn thing will fit in my Highlander?
I cannot believe it will not fit in a Highlander by the way how do you like that end of year its between a Highlander and a Telludride but these pigs are selling both over list so I will wait. I am sure it would fit in my Mazda CX5.

Not sure your question. But, re any Kia/Hyundai product vs any Toyota or Honda product it would be Toyota/Honda all day. Yeah they carry a premium but IMO worth every cent

@LMichaels, a PID controller is a "proportional–integral–derivative controller."

A car cruise control is a PID controller, where the controller decreased engine output (less gasoline) when going down a hill and increases engine output (more gasoline) when going up a hill.

The PID controller in the pellet grill will increase or decrease pellet consumption to try and stay at the selected temperature.

Other PID controllers for barbecue to control fans are the now defunct Stoker, the BBQ Guru, Thermoworks Billows, Auger, etc.

As far as the steel diffuser plate, I'd probably cook meat exclusively over a quarter/half sheet pan with a cooling rack set on the grill grate to reduce grill cleanup.

PID controllers on pellet grills usually maintain temperature within some range around set temp. That range is closer to plus or minus 40 than it is to be plus or minus 5 degrees but it gives you better smoke flavor. All of the lower price point grills use a steel heat diffusor and they hold up. Maintenance - I clean if I'm gong to be cooking high heat. Conventional design pellet grills are not good sear boxes. If you just use it for low and slow then clean it when it won't start or it's so dirty that you're embarrassed by it. The last time I cleaned my EX6 was April. I know you read about how clean pellet grills have to be in order to run correctly. We constantly read seasoned WSM owners tell new owners to learn how to run it correctly before they turn it over to an ATC. Well, learn how to run it also applies to pellet grills. For reliable performance that is a necessity and suddenly pellet brand is just a matter of taste and cleanliness isn't mandatory.

It's a whole new game with a pellet grill. It does take a little time to get used to the temp swings but that doesn't seem to affect the outcome of the cook. Before with my WSM if the temps went up or down and stayed that way due to wind, rain or whatever out I went to adjust the vents or add more charcoal. With a pellet grill it does that for you no need to go out and adjust anything. My basic controller according to my Thermoworks Smoke keeps it within 10-15 degrees of the set temp. Some of the more expensive grills will keep it within 5 degrees.
The only real issue I have with it is I have about 10-15 different pellets and when I get down to where I can't do a complete cook with what I have left what do I do with the small number of pellets I have. I now have a big container that I dump those pellets into Its labeled "Mutt Mix", and I use it for simple cooks I'm not too concerned about the smoke profile, I've actually had some real good cooks using the Mutt Mix.
Just relax and have fun with it.

Larry keep us updated when you get it put together and actually cook on it. I am a Costco guy but I have a Sam's thats actually closer to me they have a deal now pay the 45 bucks for the membership fee and they will give you a credit for 45 bucks so zero to become a member if you spend 45 bucks. Gonna wonder in their tomorrow as although their gas prices are not as good as Costco they are close enough but interested to see if they have that deal in my Sam's.

We've been Sam's members for about 20 years (maybe more) IIRC. Costco opened here in August 2018. Initially my plan was to drop Sam's and use only Costco. Well, boy was I wrong. We use both memberships a lot.
But, will do. It will be interesting. Though there is a chance I may not do anything with it until I build a second patio in my back yard. I only jumped on it because it's only 1/3rd the price I initially saw it at. My deck is a little "crowded" with the Wolf and the Genesis. Adding a 3rd full size grill is gonna crowd me out. Especially if I get one of those gas fireplaces I've been watching for

Late to the party again…Welcome to pellet cooking, Larry! I still like gas and charcoal as well, but pellet cooking is a pretty easy and fun way to get some smoke and flavor with a reduced level of work and time commitment. Look forward to seeing what you think - and hope you don’t have to sleep outside with it🤣!

Larry, the steel diffuser plate is what makes it cooks indirect. On my ZGrill, I kept mine covered in foil most of the time, no need to change it out until it needs it. The other option is to put a drip pan down under it. It will take a little learning curve, but you can use the heat radiating up from the plate to provide some browning on the bottom side. I did a lot of experimenting with chicken leg quarter when I first got the Z, since they were pretty cheap in the bulk bag and are pretty hard to screw up. Good luck.

Charlie

In order to keep my Memphis pellet grill clean(er), I always use a baking sheet with a disposable liner, sprayed with cooking spray to assist in clean-up and put my protein on this folding heavy duty SS rack (Amazon), liberally sprayed with cooking spray. The extended folding legs lets the smoke circulate under the protein.

Green Mountain Grills GMG-6034 Collapsible Upper Rack for Davy Crocket Pellet Grill for Doubled Cooking Space, Silver​

You did not provide a link Mark
Sorry, they also have the exact same one for $6 more. I don’t use it extend my cooking space so nothing goes underneath it but the sheet pan in order for the smoke to circulate.
Green Mountain Grills GMG-6034 Collapsible Upper Rack for Davy Crocket Pellet Grill for Doubled Cooking Space, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T263GNS/?tag=tvwb-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Back