Anyone seen this?

My guess is that deal is gone for this season but who knows, even at $289 it was a good price.
It is. I can say it's a pretty solid unit. Well built and sturdy. Only missing remote control app. But, IDK I care about that stuff. Money I saved on the grill I can buy a remote thermometer. But, sadly it's still more than she can afford or I can afford to gift her.

You know just thinking that Weber and Traeger must start choking to death when they come across threads like this and I am sure they are aware what deals are going around. Do they have a better product at substanially higher prices not sure at what they are trying to get.

So even at 399 Larry's grill has a larger hopper capacity, basically same cooking space as an EX6 get no wifi but an EX6 is currently on sale for $1299 that is 10% off. EX6 a better controller perhaps, wifi if you care can do high heat grilling but if you do not care about those things and are a first time buyer how can most people justify $900 more for the Smokefire. Not trying to single out the Smokefire by the way same applies to the higher end Traegers. This is why IMO Weber and Traeger have a rough 2 years or more in front of them everyone one of these buyers of these lower priced grills are probably out of the market for the next 2-3 years or more, maybe some decide to upgrade before then but how many almost impossible for anyone to forecast that.

It is. I can say it's a pretty solid unit. Well built and sturdy. Only missing remote control app. But, IDK I care about that stuff. Money I saved on the grill I can buy a remote thermometer. But, sadly it's still more than she can afford or I can afford to gift her.
My physical limitations are why I appreciate the WIFI. Until 4 years ago, I never had a wifi controller. A maverick, Thermoworks, or other remote thermometer is all that's needed for anyone with decent mobility. Some cheap remotes can be had with 2 probes for $30 and will get you to the point when you switch to an instant read for finishing. You probably can't find a better value for your purposes than the grill you bought. Have fun.

You know just thinking that Weber and Traeger must start choking to death when they come across threads like this and I am sure they are aware what deals are going around. Do they have a better product at substanially higher prices not sure at what they are trying to get.

So even at 399 Larry's grill has a larger hopper capacity, basically same cooking space as an EX6 get no wifi but an EX6 is currently on sale for $1299 that is 10% off. EX6 a better controller perhaps, wifi if you care can do high heat grilling but if you do not care about those things and are a first time buyer how can most people justify $900 more for the Smokefire. Not trying to single out the Smokefire by the way same applies to the higher end Traegers. This is why IMO Weber and Traeger have a rough 2 years or more in front of them everyone one of these buyers of these lower priced grills are probably out of the market for the next 2-3 years or more, maybe some decide to upgrade before then but how many almost impossible for anyone to forecast that.
I agree with that. I went through 2 used starter pellet grills finding out if I wanted to jump in the deep end. When I got my first Smokefire I was almost prepared for it's temperamental side but I did have to adjust my thinking some.

I would not call it the size of an EX6. I've seen those and they're monstrous. I would say it's more EX4 sized especially since in the sq in they're counting that nearly unusable top rack. Really only the first and second racks are worth using. I'm thinking this coming weekend if my fam wants to really help me break it in, I may buy a nice brisket at Costco or Sam's and go "all the way"

I would not call it the size of an EX6. I've seen those and they're monstrous. I would say it's more EX4 sized especially since in the sq in they're counting that nearly unusable top rack. Really only the first and second racks are worth using. I'm thinking this coming weekend if my fam wants to really help me break it in, I may buy a nice brisket at Costco or Sam's and go "all the way"
The top rack should work for jerky. :)

Nah, after my first and only experience with jerky (I think I wrote about my snake river farms jerky adventure), not gonna happen. I guess small baby backs could fit there

Well, doing my second cook on it. Just me tonight so I have a small "rack" of rib tips I had picked up at Costco a while back as a big package and froze. So these are the last of them. Actually they're "flank" cut spares that Costco will cut up and package on special at times. The reddish color is all "smoke" as the only seasoning on them is S&P. I'm looking at having them "naked" so I can tell how it cooks things. I am hoping to maybe do a Brisket flat this weekend (though question for brisket experts). Which is the best portion of brisket to get point or flat? Sam's has flats in choice and prime on sale.
1661905272110.jpeg
1661905296772.jpeg

Sadly no points. Only flats or whole. BTW the pork tips were quite delicious! I have done these before. Turned out decent though one time totally inedible and I threw it out and got Culvers :D Anyway these were quite different. Even then the gas grill ones I cooked that worked decently. So this pellet thing is really beginning to look like "da bomb" for some cooks. If I get to being good at it, I might just have to find myself investing in a "high quality" pellet popper. I just for the life of me cannot figure how other users are getting theirs under 200 deg. I see others getting as low as 160 set points. Though not even sure how useful under 200 is

Larry,
Looks like you are getting into pellet grilling! I hope it keeps working out well and adds an extra dimension to your cooking arsenal. And with a Wolf on the deck that is definitely an arsenal!

That looks to me a real nice sized grill, not big,not to small. That photo of it with a 14 lb brisket inside well centered not crowded. Good smoke inside during the shoulder cook too.
I wish we had a Sam's around here that was not a 100 miles away.
I would buy one of these I can not beleive you got this for 199.00 impressive.
Keep these cooks coming.
I vote for a spatchcocked chicken.

With the cooks you've done so far Larry as a new pellet grill guy your results have been phenomenal. So, with that said I "double dog dare Ya" No I "triple dog dare ya" to get a packer and if you nail it you will be known throughout the pellet grill world as the "Best new pellet pooper new guy" A title much deserved.:giggle:

I just checked on this Pellet grill at our nearest Sam's Flagstaff and i shows the lower price but out of stock. At 199 it would be worth the drive.

Larry how did the naked Ribs turn out ? gear good smoke on it ?

I just checked on this Pellet grill at our nearest Sam's Flagstaff and i shows the lower price but out of stock. At 199 it would be worth the drive.

Larry how did the naked Ribs turn out ? gear good smoke on it ?
Excellent! Great smoke ring, tender, great flavor. I was extremely pleased.

Rich
I would need a crowd to come by for a packer. I would love to do one though. Currently there is a blade chuck roast on it. Hoping to have for tonight's supper. I am hoping to do a flat and 2 slabs of ribs this weekend as well. Flat is way too big for wife and I so hoping brother and his fam are going to be able to show up.

Excellent! Great smoke ring, tender, great flavor. I was extremely pleased.

Rich
I would need a crowd to come by for a packer. I would love to do one though. Currently there is a blade chuck roast on it. Hoping to have for tonight's supper. I am hoping to do a flat and 2 slabs of ribs this weekend as well. Flat is way too big for wife and I so hoping brother and his fam are going to be able to show up.
I hear you Larry, that's why I haven't done one in a year or so with just the two of us I'm still gnawing on the one I did a year ago.
Got enough point in the freezer to do another pot of chili when it cools off and I'll be done with it.

I hear you Larry, that's why I haven't done one in a year or so with just the two of us I'm still gnawing on the one I did a year ago.
Got enough point in the freezer to do another pot of chili when it cools off and I'll be done with it.
I would have liked to have found a point, but both Sam's and Costco only had flats. So a flat it will be. That darn chuck roast is already more than 50% cooked and I'm still hours away from supper. IDK how that darn thing cooks so fast. I try doing the same temps in the Genesis or Wolf and it takes 3x as long. So far this has been my hardest thing to figure out. Timing. I guess I can pull it and just let it sit in the house in a very slow oven. IDK

Back