Anybody grilling?

One funny thing in this little quest. I started researching what is inside them. Seems they're almost all the same internally. Even down to the wiring connectors, color codes and so on.

Larry,
I am really glad they gave you good customer service and that you got your pellet cooker back up to full speed. I don't doubt that much of the components are shared among many brands. But not all brands will be there for you.

Yah, if the grill continues to work as expected, I would write them a nice THANK YOU.

Larry,
I am really glad they gave you good customer service and that you got your pellet cooker back up to full speed. I don't doubt that much of the components are

shared among many brands. But not all brands will be there for you.
Sadly they didn't give me good service. I waited 4 weeks for the repair part. In turn it did not work. I had a grill that ran but not over 165 deg. This thing was a total ordeal. I did a lot of idea bouncing with Ed on this thing. And in the end it was our collective idea to cobble together old and new parts and experiment. I still think it's as good as a $500 pellet grill can get. There are little details I noticed while doing the repairs. I.E. critical screws (ones that hold the entire hopper assy) to the main grill body are all 304 stainless. Yeah, when I bought the grill during assembly I did put Never Seize on all the screws and on some like this ones exposed to all the heat and smoke I put Never Seize on those too by removing them, lubing them and reinstalling. I went through a lot of care like this during my assembly. Anyway it's really a well made unit. But, this was a tough thing to solve

I didn't realize that. Sorry for minimizing your travails...Well, you deserve credit for persevering and at least got rewarded by it working again.

I can say that Rec Tec has given me first class service even though I was not the original owner of my RT-700, even sending me a replacement part for free. They talked me through my issue over the phone as I followed their instructions on my grill. I am sure not every customer of RecTec is as happy as I am, but I think overall they do an excellent job. Now they need to take note of the SmokeFire and the Camp Chef Woodwind Pro and come up with a way to boost the smoke performance of their next grill to match or surpass them.

This is why I don’t have one, the electronics are parts which I have little to no interest in learning that
particular skill set. I’m glad that there are those who will persevere, I’m not one of them.

This is why I don’t have one, the electronics are parts which I have little to no interest in learning that
particular skill set. I’m glad that there are those who will persevere, I’m not one of them.
Yeah, I get that. But, when it works they're outstanding. Make things so easy and nice to work with. I still don't know what caused the initial issue. (the igniter or the driver board) because when they sent me the entire new hopper assy. everything was brand new in that regard. The only way I will know what failed and therefore the "weak link" is to install the old driver board in it and see if it goes into ERR mode. If so, I have the "smoking gun" so to speak. I guess if not I have it as well LOL as then it tells me the igniter went south.
Mean time all I have been getting from Sam's is "we're gonna escalate this issue", and all I hear back? Crickets.............
The cool thing is all these grills Traeger, Camp Chef and so on have all the same components in them and everything in there is quite generic, and cheap. Hell even the new control panels are only in the $30 range, igniters maybe $10, most expensive (if you want to go into a heavier duty more powerful one) is the auger motor which can cost up to $50 for one of those. Otherwise standard ones only about $20. So, they could be kept gong pretty much on the cheap.

Sorry Larry all I’m hearing is “Charlie Brown“ teacher speak…😆
To be honest, my kettles and WSM really do every I need with NO electrical interface at all and I really like it that way. Power outage, still cooking. It’s the reason I play bluegrass music as well, no wires! Plug it in, ”They” charge you for the entertainment. So, I’ll keep on with my caveman tech and not have that electrical stuff to cause me headache.

Last edited:
Sorry Larry all I’m hearing is “Charlie Brown“ teacher speak…😆
To be honest, my kettles and WSM really do every I need with NO electrical interface at all and I really like it that way. Power outage, still cooking. It’s the reason I play bluegrass music as well, no wires! Plug it in, ”They” charge you for the entertainment. So, I’ll keep on with my caveman tech and not have that electrical stuff to cause me headache.
That's why I have both Electrical and Battery Operated Rotisserie Motors for my Weber Performer Deluxe :) Frequent Power-Outage is a way of life here in Costa Rica.

Attachments

• 77074BB5-4F0A-45B6-B1BD-3D5059B46FAD.jpeg
    77074BB5-4F0A-45B6-B1BD-3D5059B46FAD.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 5
Back to grilling…

I bought a 3-D printed mold to make slider burgers with the White Castle trademark holes. Pretty cool item. My first attempt at making them on my Summit using a griddle designed for Weber Q was less than inspiring.

Next time I will use a lower temperature and start with frozen slider patties. A better griddle setup would help, too.

9A8098E2-69D7-4439-8603-E456437BD131.jpeg

It was fun to experiment, and hopefully I learned from my mistakes.

You guys are kind, but improvement is definitely needed. Griddle was too hot and I underestimated how fast thin little sliders cook. I think starting with frozen patties would help both cooking and with getting them on the griddle intact.

I used some onion powder and Kinders “The Blend” (Salt, Pepper & Garlic), but I avoided the White Castle staple of onions on the griddle that I just can’t handle. I will try again.

Back