Anybody grilling?

Yup. Fat and paper towels work well with fresh coal yet I have had challenges getting a consistent start when it is coal I've cooked on already.

The used coal seems to start better if I shake the basket to clear the ash and small pieces and then light the bottom over the burner.

I really like the KA basket and may get one for the WSK

After switching to using a side burner for lighting the coals, I haven't looked back. So much easier.

For the used coals, I'll stick a few new pieces of lump at the bottom of the chimney.

I haven't put the KA basket directly on the side burner yet, but my BGE is the (essentially) discontinued tiny Mini size. Not sure I'd have anywhere to hold onto (even with the welding gloves) after lighting over the burner :ROFLMAO:

I haven't put the KA basket directly on the side burner yet, but my BGE is the (essentially) discontinued tiny Mini size. Not sure I'd have anywhere to hold onto (even with the welding gloves) after lighting over the burner :ROFLMAO:
The handles were barely warm on the large basket. It was only on the burner for about 5 mins.

For me putting the KA basket on the burner worked well, especially for a low temp cook where I only wanted a small amount of coal burning.

I use grease and paper towels under a full chimney when I am doing a higher temp cook.

Last edited:
I just wanted to let everyone know that I had grilled Salmon on the Q200 tonight. It came out fabulous and even had grill marks on the flesh side. My daughter would have loved the skin side. She calls the skin, fish bacon. I wish I had taken pictures but I couldn't find my phone and I was hungry.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I had grilled Salmon on the Q200 tonight. It came out fabulous and even had grill marks on the flesh side. My daughter would have loved the skin side. She calls the skin, fish bacon. I wish I had taken pictures but I couldn't find my phone and I was hungry.
A lot of folks like it. I simply use the skin as a means to an end. An easy way to take the fish off. The skin sticks, when fish is done you simply slide spatula between the fish meat and the skin. Skin stay on the hot grate, and comes off very easily once cooled down

Mine did not stick last night on me. I coat both the skin and flesh side with a bit of olive oil and I don't get any real sticking to the grates. Even though my grates are in desperate need of a cleaning.

Mine did not stick last night on me. I coat both the skin and flesh side with a bit of olive oil and I don't get any real sticking to the grates. Even though my grates are in desperate need of a cleaning.
With skin on fish I don't oil it as I only cook it skin side down. This way it helps assure the skin sticking and then I am able to use that as my "tool" to get a clean filet. Now if I do skinless then it depends on the fish I am cooking. A firmer fish like say catfish, I cook like a regular old piece of thin protein. Oiled, seasoned and flipped when needed

That makes sense larry. I did mine last night and started them flesh side down. When I turned them, I was amazed at the nice "Grill Marks". Jon would have been proud. Then I finished them on the skin side. They were cross sections and quite thick. It would have take a long cook to get them fully cooked without flipping. But, I can see how using the spatula, after the fish is cooked, to slide the meat off the skin while still on the grill would work nicely.

Another reason I do them this way (salmon especially) is I typically "glaze" salmon. Starting with a mild spice rub (S&P, chili powder, a smoked paprika), then as it cooks I will glaze it with maple syrup (lightly) as I don't make "candied" salmon. Anyway doing it like this negates "flipping" and "marks". And if it does not have skin I will place a folded over sheet of foil (no wider than the fish) on the grill followed by a piece of parchment on top of that. This mimics having the skin.

View attachment 68358 somehow I didn't get a picture of it while it was on the grill I guess. Or my phone just doesn't want to show it to me now. But I had the same exact setup with potatoes under the chicken getting drippings while cooking. Except I did two birds 🤤😎.
Tasty looking birds and my next go-round will have two(2) “pollos” on the spit. I bet you are an expert “Trusser” of poultry?

Some of you may recall nearly 2 months ago I was doing some cooking on my Member's Mark Pro Series Pellet Grill and may recall I had an issue with it going into ERR and ****ting down. I have been carrying on some notes comparisons on a private messaging with Ed P, since he has the same grill. In any case long story short. I called Sam's they said they would need to send me an entire hopper assembly. Which included the auger assy, auger motor, full control panel, along with burn pot, igniter, and so on. After many long weeks waiting for it, it arrived this past Saturday. I installed it on Monday and hoping to make a nice meal on it. Well it would not go over 160 deg. Today on a whim I took off the driver board from my old control panel and installed it on the new control panel mother board from the part Sam's sent me. Tada, temps all the way to 500 if needed. So I bought a nice thick ribeye from Cattle and Cream and decided to do a nice "smoke" on it for a reverse sear cook. The grill performed perfectly.

20230329_153344.jpg20230329_153345.jpg20230329_170805.jpg20230329_175529.jpg20230329_181308.jpg20230329_181956.jpg

Back