Anybody grilling?

91BD4321-31B7-4818-863E-4840CA048193.jpegTried Something New to Me

I picked up this steak seasoning made by Fire and Smoke Society. They call it “Black and Tan.” It is primarily Himalayan black (not pink) salt, black pepper and some other ingredients like rosemary and coffee and even “activated charcoal”. The concept, besides flavor, is to help make a striking dark crust to contrast medium-rare, rosy pink steak. I am a medium-well kind of person (sorry!), but I still was attracted to the appearance factor.

1EE7ECB0-FD85-40ED-9A42-1659038BE383.jpeg

Black and Tan worked pretty well for a pair of steaks 🥩 for my son and me as I am home alone batching it. I tried to not overdo it, but got results as far as appearance, and the flavor was complimentary - not overpowering - to the strip steaks I made.

7872E3FD-E100-4B03-901B-664E27A0F15A.jpeg

Jon, The tan lines are awesome as always, but how do you get the cool smoke special effects in your photos. I cannot imagine there is any wind out when you take those pictures.

View attachment 69101Tried Something New to Me

I picked up this steak seasoning made by Fire and Smoke Society. They call it “Black and Tan.” It is primarily Himalayan black (not pink) salt, black pepper and some other ingredients like rosemary and coffee and even “activated charcoal”. The concept, besides flavor, is to help make a striking dark crust to contrast medium-rare, rosy pink steak. I am a medium-well kind of person (sorry!), but I still was attracted to the appearance factor.

View attachment 69102
One of my SIL’s swears by this for steak and the back strap. I have yet to try this one but use a number of their others and find them quite good, may be their connection to that other thing in Little Rock!?

One of my SIL’s swears by this for steak and the back strap. I have yet to try this one but use a number of their others and find them quite good, may be their connection to that other thing in Little Rock!?
Mike,
Some great grilling stuff from Little Rock, for sure!

I also bought their "Cherry Cola" rub that I hope to combine with a cherry bbq sauce on baby back ribs sometime soon.

I really liked that the Black and Tan left my steak tasting like steak - better steak - but not like just a bunch of seasoning.

Jon, The tan lines are awesome as always, but how do you get the cool smoke special effects in your photos. I cannot imagine there is any wind out when you take those pictures.
Well, it was not windy as compared to what we sometimes get here in central Indiana. What you are really seeing is the true Weber effect with grease just splashing on those red hot flavorizer bars long enough for a flash and some smoke but gone before damage is done (well much of the time, anyway!).

I thought Larry @LMichaels might comment on this conventional stainless rod grate cook compared to my GrillGrate pictures. I know I could have made razor sharp grill lines on my Skyline with GrillGrate grates, but I am starting to agree with Larry - at least a little more - that you also lose something in the bargain. I think these steaks could have been served to someone who was told they were charcoal grilled, and they would believe it.
(Just like how they stunned George Stephen :george: when they brought him a steak from the prototype Genesis and he proclaimed how what he liked was a charcoal grilled steak!)

IMG_1795.jpeg

I didn't because honestly they looked wonderful and I honestly did not think I could add anything. And then given my pork chop from a pellet popper no less. No hocus pocus. Just an undressed chop on the grates (stock grates). Which BTW are about 5/16th porcelain rod grates. Pretty darn decent grates for a $200 grill :D
And honestly I was not going for "marks" I just wanted to "finish" after a "smoke" and a scotch :D

Yeah, your pellet grill did great - can't argue with that pork loin chop! - and shows that this cooking method can be dissed unfairly.

Last night was in the 80’s- a preamble to summer I guess.

I decided to make baked salmon and asparagus in the Genesis.

Turned out great.

It really is a great little cooler, and I derive great satisfaction using it.

I took advantage of the nice weather to smoke a pork butt.
Cooked low and sloooooooooooooww with apple and hickory mixed for smoke.
Fat cap was removed to allow more bark.

On the grill with a full pan of water at 5:00 pm. IMG_1624.jpeg

Pulled from the grill 23-1/2 hours later. Internal temp is 200 degrees.
IMG_1626.jpeg

Gerry

23.5 hrs. WOW. Long cook. What temp did you cook it on and how did it turn out (taste wise)?

23.5 hrs. WOW. Long cook. What temp did you cook it on and how did it turn out (taste wise)?
Temp varied with the wind. I was trying to keep it at 225, but it got down to 205 a couple of times. The last hour and a half I cranked the heat to 275 or so to get it done. We wrapped it in foil and towels and put it in a cooler for a few hours so we could go out for the afternoon.
When we got back it was still plenty hot and it pulled apart perfectly. It was very moist and had good bark. It was mostly portioned out for lunches and dinners, but a lot didn't make it into the freezer bags! It was a success!
Gerry

Gerry, sure looks good! I admire your patience to get the perfect results.

I am itching to do some bbq once tax season is finally over. It is my birthday today (April 14 - my destiny to be a CPA:ROFLMAO:). Anyway, taxes notwithstanding, my son and I are going to a local barebecue joint tonight, since I am home alone batching it for the week.

Gerry, sure looks good! I admire your patience to get the perfect results.

I am itching to do some bbq once tax season is finally over. It is my birthday today (April 14 - my destiny to be a CPA:ROFLMAO:). Anyway, taxes notwithstanding, my son and I are going to a local barebecue joint tonight, since I am home alone batching it for the week.
Happy Birthday, Jon!

Back