Anybody grilling?

Thanks, guys!

Rich, You at least landed AFTER the tax deadlines. I have spent much of my adult birthdays filing tax extensions 😩 !

It's hard to believe that a week ago I promised pics and a grilling item the next day! But here it is! One reason for the delay is that my last major cleanup before selling was to clear our our storage shed. Foolish me thought that would take a day -- HAH! Four exhausting days later (yes, still completely blown away every day) and 4 truck loads of junk to the dump plus 1 load to the Habitat store for donation, it got done. And then... Well, you know -- time moves on.

So this is kind of two-in-one, pics of my cook last weekend and even more of the new house layout. First to prove that I really did use the grill, let me show you the pizza I "made". Well, at least I assembled and cooked it. I used a pre-made crust my wife had bought before a new onslaught of her allergy situation meant that she couldn't eat it. That was over a year ago, but I just found the two crusts during the move and decided to try them. For the first one I followed the instructions on a new combo toaster oven/air fryer/convection oven our daughter bought us. I actually like how the device works -- its ability to produce really excellent toast caused us to discard our old toaster. But it couldn't rescue that crust (soggy!) and I was about ready to toss it also. But then I decided that for this pizza I would try the method I use for my own scratch pizza crusts -- par bake one side on the grill, dress and bake to completion. It worked! The crust still mostly sucked (I won't be buying it), but at least it was crisp and not soggy. So here's the proof -- pepperoni and Italian sausage with cauliflower, jalapeno and red pepper under the cheese. (Cauliflower is wonderful on pizza -- soaks up the flavors beautifully!)
View attachment 66199View attachment 66200

But as I mentioned a week ago, it takes some effort to grill here. First we leave the kitchen through the then crowded living room (more on that later).
View attachment 66201

Then through the jam-packed sunroom (again, more later).
View attachment 66202

Then across the back yard toward the grill. (Followed by a look back at the small brick patio with table and chairs, etc.) The large white-looking thing is the crawlspace entry cover -- that edge along the walk actually marks the limit of my property plat. The far wall beyond the grill is the shared wall with the neighboring townhouse. I kind of adopted another five feet (to the outer side of the patio) to make a rational yard. (Beg forgiveness!) That fencing is the only approved fence. All of the grey stone you see used to be basically mud before we fixed it.
View attachment 66203View attachment 66204

And finally a look into the kitchen where we started and then back at the grill. Repeat as needed. <sigh> We plan to get permission to change that large double window into an exit door with side lites straight out from the kitchen. THAT will make a great improvement. (More later in another thread since this has gotten pretty packed and things have already changed for the better despite still not having the new door.) But I do grill and use my smoker in that small courtyard
space. View attachment 66205View attachment 66206

I thought I'd come back with a couple of pics of my new path to the grill. It's taken a while and was costly but here you can see the way to grill from the kitchen. Notice the new privacy fence in the right pane.
20230513_142449.jpg

And this is the way back featuring Sheila standing where I was.
20230513_142750.jpg

Very happy to no longer have that long trek through the house!

I did a variation on bbq chicken using my Landmann pellet kettle and a Weber poultry roaster armed with Cherry Dr. Pepper in the can holder. I also used cherry wood pellets, Fire and Smoke Society Cherry Cola rub (smells like a Cherry Coke when you open the jar!), and “Touch of Cherry” barbecue sauce. It’s not like the cherry was overpowering, but it produced a nice sweet bbq chicken. I think the sauce has a really nice color:

IMG_2260.jpeg

I never heard of a Landman. Just looked it up. Interesting. Is the burn pot down in the center of the grill? I saw a device Tom Horseman tested it you attach to a Weber kettle that makes it into a pellet grill. Pellets burn outside the grill hot air and smoke blown inside the grill

Ribs on the menu for Saturday. After enjoying the “Cherry Chicken” I decided to try it on baby back ribs. 3-2-1 with honey replaced by cherry preserves in the wrap stage. I did a second rack with “Butt rub” and no wrap trying for more bark and not as soft and fall off the bone as the 3-2-1 method does. Spritzed with apple juice regularly.

IMG_2270.jpeg

IMG_2273.jpeg
Cherry on the left.
Right: Topped off the straight cook ones with City BBQ Sweet sauce. I like both styles, as each has its own merits. At least my two experiments didn’t produce any disasters! I would definitely make them either (or both!) of these ways again😎.

Jon ordering dessert: I’d like a slice of cherry pie with two dips of black cherry ice cream on the side, a bowl of cherry Jell-O, one large cherry shake, three cherry-filled donuts and a handful of cherry mints.

Please know I'm just kidding, lol. I love the color on your chicken and I'm very interested in making one with those ingredients.

Is it Three Little Pigs brand sauce?

Jon ordering dessert: I’d like a slice of cherry pie with two dips of black cherry ice cream on the side, a bowl of cherry Jell-O, one large cherry shake, three cherry-filled donuts and a handful of cherry mints.

Please know I'm just kidding, lol. I love the color on your chicken and I'm very interested in making one with those ingredients.

Is it Three Little Pigs brand sauce?
Yes, that’s the sauce. Next time I might use it as a base and cook in a little cherry jam. I like that flavor - I guess that’s why I like Cheerwine.

IMG_1356.jpeg

The cherry rub/sauce combo is an interesting change of pace fir chicken or ribs without going way out in left field.

I really don't have much to contribute, but after 2 hours of prep, ended up with a couple of my burgers (described elsewhere), a few Chile rellenos (my way), and a salsa that just wasn't what I expected. Burgers tomorrow, rellenos tonight plus and salsa as appropriate. Tha salsas recipe is below if you want to try. This set of rellenos had a 1/3 pound of ground chuck with a our 2 oz of goat cheese, cream cheese, American cheese, and sharp cheddar. I always include Ann egg to coagulate quickly, and tie wit butcher twine. Spray wit EVOO and grill 350-400* for twenty or thirty minutes. Contents vary widely. Whatever I think will be good and, at times, add heat.20230605_182957.jpg

After 25 minutes...20230605_185358.jpg

With sour cream and the salsa. Amazing!
20230605_190012.jpg

Attachments

• 20230605_182957.jpg
    20230605_182957.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 0
Oops, I promised the salsa recipe. This turned out to be really good once I let it sit and meld a few hours. So simple I'd encourage anyone to try it.

Yes, that’s the sauce. Next time I might use it as a base and cook in a little cherry jam. I like that flavor - I guess that’s why I like Cheerwine.

View attachment 71908

The cherry rub/sauce combo is an interesting change of pace fir chicken or ribs without going way out in left field.
I made a pork butt last week that I spritzed hourly with Cheerwine, and made the sauce with it as well.
Got it from the Meat Church YouTube channel. Even my wife who "doesn't like pork" thought it was the best I ever made lol

Back