Anybody grilling?

Busy day yesterday. Finished up and got out the last of 3 mixers I had this week. So decided on a quick and dirty fajita meal. I used the skirt steak packaged from Costco, because the last customer of the week had literally walked out the door a little after 16:30. I had a partial bag of those little super sweet peppers, most of a large onion left (from homemade sub sandwich), made a quick spice mix for the veg (chili powder, cumin, oregano) dressed them all with a little oil and on the grill, grilled the meat, some flour shells and had a bag of "Mexican shredded cheese", my Fronterra grill jalapeno/cilantro salsa, and some shredded lettuce. Dinner is served. Clouds were beginning to break from the Stormagedden that never happened for us (phew) so threw in a few photos. The one looking back on the house, and showing me standing on the deck. Not a magic trick. A snapshot from my new WYZE Cam Pan V3 mounted on the back garage watching back toward the house. Which is why it looks a little "motley" Wind was still quite strong (and chilly) blowing against the grill so heating was an issue. It was going for all it was worth.

20230303_173621.jpg20230303_174746.jpg20230303_174810.jpg20230303_174815.jpg20230303_174820.jpgD03F27983437_1677887356387.jpg

You are a brave man to face the elements at that hour even for pulled pork (?). But that's both an admirable ambition and an exceptional picture. I'll be following your progress.

60*, sunny and breezy here in Central NC at just after 9:00am. Today it's Carolina/Duke in the "satisfaction tip-off" and celebration of my youngest grandson's 18th birthday. Have I mentioned that we got a contract on our house a few days ago? So it's a good day to vicariously enjoy your cook!
Happy birthday to your grandson.

18 is a significant year in most people’s lives.

The planets aligned for pulled pork on this day, so regardless of the weather it was going to happen.

Should be about a 12 hour cook, so it needed to be prepped and ready to go on the grill for 5am.

Just made the coleslaw, it’s marinating in the refrigerator.

4.5 hours in-
005492E3-4243-424B-AAC3-51272293B545.jpeg

Happy birthday to your grandson.

18 is a significant year in most people’s lives.

The planets aligned for pulled pork on this day, so regardless of the weather it was going to happen.

Should be about a 12 hour cook, so it needed to be prepped and ready to go on the grill for 5am.

Just made the coleslaw, it’s marinating in the refrigerator.

4.5 hours in-
View attachment 67109
Looks like that Summit kettle can do a lot of nice stuff

You are a brave man to face the elements at that hour even for pulled pork (?). But that's both an admirable ambition and an exceptional picture. I'll be following your progress.

60*, sunny and breezy here in Central NC at just after 9:00am. Today it's Carolina/Duke in the "satisfaction tip-off" and celebration of my youngest grandson's 18th birthday. Have I mentioned that we got a contract on our house a few days ago? So it's a good day to vicariously enjoy your cook!
8B011E47-1244-4D26-90B8-EAE67EF879C7.jpeg
After 8 hours around 225 degrees, the pork shoulder finally reached 160 degrees internal temp.
53F79FE9-E60B-409A-BAA2-6B0C7FFF9482.jpeg
Wrapped it tightly in two sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil, added some more unlit briquettes right over the snap jet igniter for insurance, and the shoulder is back on for at least another 3 hours.

All this fell between 15:00 and 21:00 last night!60AFC397-4923-4C68-B2C9-7DD4EB0E9A1F.jpeg
But, it’s melting pretty quickly this morning, which is good because I have a couple of andouille stuffed meatloaves prepped for tonight’s dinner!
And now 14:30…C0A871ED-0690-4066-BFCD-1C910CDB2D66.jpeg
Interesting weather ain’t it?

Last edited:
I am thankful it missed us. I am done with the snow and the cold. Time to get on with Spring. My stupid Tulips are up.

OK I am thoroughly confused. Went back, looked at my post. Nothing mentioned "Interesting". Are you saying my little "feast" last night looked "Interesting"? Or basically "unpleasant"?
Your last line -- Interesting weather, ain't it?

As far as your feast, sounds awesome. Wish I could share the andouille stuffed meatloaf. Would you think andouille worked into the meat mixture would work?

Your last line -- Interesting weather, ain't it?

As far as your feast, sounds awesome. Wish I could share the andouille stuffed meatloaf. Would you think andouille worked into the meat mixture would work?
That was T-Lewis' comment not mine. I get it now but the wrong person is receiving the "credit" :D

Well, here is the loaves hitting the fire!E5E7E308-0851-4A56-94FF-0DD6DB31B9AE.jpeg
Experimenting with a slightly different “double grate” set up. Size of planks were too small to use them “effectively”.

OOPS! Not old 《right》, just careless 《Right!》.
Welllllll….
I can oft be considered old and careless, rude and crass, in short, a big old @$$
The mix tonight was three pounds ground Chuck, one of Italian sausage. Diced celery, three colors of bell peppers, pulverized leftover Chex party mix, blah, blah, blah seasoning. Mixed by hand and, divided. Each half spread and channeled to center a link of andouille sausage in the center to be enrobed by the seasoned, ground meat jacket. Carefully centering the link as best possible.
As I knew two loaves were going to be needed, I used the earlier mentioned rack method using olive wood as a smoke medium with quite enjoyable results!
I am pleased that the weather was a little obliging!

Attachments

• CBE6594B-D1CA-4B74-9A0C-511F73D298DB.jpeg
    CBE6594B-D1CA-4B74-9A0C-511F73D298DB.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 9BC780DE-35F8-4983-929B-1D5579B5D293.jpeg
    9BC780DE-35F8-4983-929B-1D5579B5D293.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 5
So, gonna throw this out for opinions. That rib roast that has been dry aging. I have to cook it today. Just thought of this when I got up. I trimmed off all the dried areas, leaving nice meat. Now thing is, I need to spin this on my dad's Genesis. But, it hit me. Why not throw it on my pellet popper low and slow at smoke setting. I can get the temp down in there and hold about 160ish for a few hours prior to leaving. Then wrap it in butcher paper and foil. Transport it, then skewer it for rotisserie at high heat for the "crust". The hour ride plus my time to prep dad's grill and other fixings would be it's "rest" time, and at the end I could blast it with some good heat from the Genesis for the finishing touch. My thinking is bring it up to 115 to 125 here, wrap, long rest wrapped and then onto the hot Genesis to bring it up to 130-135 and serve. Nothing fancy on seasoning. S&P is it

Good plan. I’d stop the smoke at 110 and rest. It’ll still bump to 115 or so then spinning/crusting to final cook temp and then rest pre slicing.

I had the pleasure of a bone in ribeye roast on a Traeger. Decent smoke flavor and it came out nice.

That low temp smoke session will move temps slowly. I don’t have enough experience to guide you in time here. But I like your plan.

Assuming your drive to dad’s isn’t 4 hours, you should be fine without festering bacteria in the beef.

Back