Anybody grilling?

Well my plan is partially going out the window. I forgot to check the pellet level and it ran low, uncovering the auger which then sent it into ERR mode and I did not see it. So, I filled and restarted according to directions. All seemed well and it did it again. I am trying to "nurse" it through until 1230. At which time regardless I have to shut it down. We have a bit of a chilly east wind blowing right into the opening for the grease tray. Temps are not climbing as they should. I have now moved into partial shelter and hoping for the best

My experience level doesn't allow me to make a valid opinion, but I do want to hear about the results if you give it a run.

I seem to be getting "temps" again. Fingers crossed, toes crossed, making sign of the cross. Holding out hope

Well "smoke" seems to be holding in the 170ish range. Knock wood. I guess there are 2 things that can be an issue with the MM pellet pro. One is user error. But, the other is it as a rule does not like wind. Especially from the direction of it's grease catch side. Now that I have pellets covering the auger and have it in a more sheltered location (just inside the main garage door) that chilly wind is not working it's way into the chamber and knocking down the temps and or the fire.
If there is anyone else on here who has one and knows how to remove the whole auger and feed assembly please let me know. PM instructions or a reference to them. Also I think a mod I will make is a way to shield the smoking chamber from the wind entering the grease trap side. I think I can fab up a sliding wind block somehow. I'll post in pellet grill threads if I get something figgered out

Larry, is there a reason you skimp on the pellets that you put in or can you just fill the hopper and not worry about running out?

Wasn't skimping. Just did not realize the hopper was running low. I'm still used to "gas grilling". I have a pipe and an endless supply of fuel. I have to put myself more in the "LP" mode LOL

Assuming your drive to dad’s isn’t 4 hours, you should be fine without festering bacteria in the beef.
No it's only a little over an hour. I have a small cooler waiting in the wings. Internal temps are now up to 85, pit temp is holding 175is now and smoke output is now stable. I have not opened the lid since the trouble began and I had to restart it twice. I anticipate it getting to 110 (hopefully) by 1230. It will be pulled wrapped in paper and foil placed in the cooler and held. I figure after this long a cook and a long heat soak internal should rise in the cooler to about 120ish. I'll shoot for a 400 deg lid temp on the Genesis once I get it skewered up. I am hoping this will be the most tender roast beef I've ever cooked

So I am using the probe that came with the grill. Just over 100 now, went out and temp'd it with my ThermoPro TP19 and it is reading just a tad lower. I don't know if I will make my goal of 110 to 115 by 1230. but, come hell or low temp, it has to come off and I have to shut the grill down so it can go through it's cool down cycle. And finish by 1300.

Well, no but I want to be sure it's done with it so I can put it away. Since I cannot disconnect power until it's done. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes. I just want to make sure I leave enough time. Also supposed to rain tonight so I don't want to leave it outside.

So I am using the probe that came with the grill. Just over 100 now, went out and temp'd it with my ThermoPro TP19 and it is reading just a tad lower. I don't know if I will make my goal of 110 to 115 by 1230. but, come hell or low temp, it has to come off and I have to shut the grill down so it can go through it's cool down cycle. And finish by 1300.
It won’t matter. So long as yku don’t go over the 110°. Pull it when you need to and wrap it. Then move on to your next steps. You’re totally fine. All you’re doing right now is adding smoke and raising the meat temp. Just don’t leave it at this 100° state for a prolonged time. That’s where bacteria can grow if yku leave this out for too long. One hour should be fine.

Well the darn thing went into ERR mode again. I think there may have been either a void or a blockage. As when I took the roast off and wrapped it (it was just about at that 110 mark and very close to my departure time. So I wrapped it well stuck it in the cooler and then dumped all the pellets from the grill. I then took it through a "prime" process and let it burn off all the pellets that were in the auger. Tomorrow I will do more investigating. I brought the roast to dad's but the troubles of the day were not over. Anyway here is a photo of the cook
20230305_144933.jpg
Notice the potatoes. Well, they did not make it to the dinner. I took a bowl outside and dad's old Genesis 2000 has the flip up table that "self locks". I have been using that grill since it was new, and never once has the table not stayed up with a load on it. Until today. he corning ware bowl was placed on it, had just finished putting the taters in and down it all went and shattered on the concrete. Shards of ceramic everywhere and in the taters.
The good news? The beef was outstanding. I will be doing it like this again. Great flavor and nice crust on the outside. So now I have to solve the issue with my pellet popper.

Just a suggestion, Larry: when I had the issue with my controller, I gave the MM helpline a call and not only did they replace the controller, but they also sent me the instructions on how to change it out. Maybe they can clue you in on how to approach your problem.

Thing is IDK if it's the controller. I used the grill recently and it ran like a champ when I smoked and roasted a whole chicken just a couple weeks ago.
Do you think you could somehow get me those instructions on how to remove everything? I would love to have them just as a reference if nothing else

Thing is IDK if it's the controller. I used the grill recently and it ran like a champ when I smoked and roasted a whole chicken just a couple weeks ago.
Do you think you could somehow get me those instructions on how to remove everything? I would love to have them just as a reference if nothing else
I didn't mean to imply that it's a controller problem...I kind of think it has something to do with the auger, because the whole thing was started when the hopper ran low, and there is no pellet level sensor with the stock controller.

Here's the literature that I have. I'd sure give them a call, though...they are very helpful!

Attachments

Thank you so much. Yes a while back I called them when I could not understand the smoke and "P" functions. They were very patient and helpful. So my thinking is maybe I should get the thing disassembled and fully cleaned out. I noticed on the last time it went ERR, I pulled the deflector out and found only 3 or 4 pellets in the pot. So basically the fire had gone out

Back