Anybody grilling?

Larry: I would quit skimping on the pellets when testing. Seems most of times you have problems is when the hopper is empty or nearly so.

Look at me giving advice on a pellet grill when I have never used one. LOL :geek:
Skimping had nothing to do with it here. There were plenty of pellets over the auger. It just plain stopped feeding them. The motor stalls out and sometimes will not restart
Well, I am trying as well to upload the PDF but the forum uploader says the file is too large. So, anyone who wants it PM me here, with your email address and I will happily forward it. Or if someone can advise on how to shrink the file for here

Larry's Dad on the phone with a friend next weekend: "I don't know when I'm eating my darn dinner; my dang Son is cooking again."

Kidding aside (I hope you take it as a joke), I hope you get it sorted out soon.

OK so called MM today. First tech insisted it was dirty sensor, So, I pulled the control panel, pulled the sensor (thankfully when I got the grill new I had the foresight to get NeverSeize on all the bolts and screws. So it came apart easily. I cleaned everything out, did a full on vacuum, scraping and so on. I cleaned that sensor till it was shiny.
Put it together, left the heat plate out, dropped in some pellets maybe a cup worth to test. Turned it on and gave it a good long prime cycle 2X, it lit up and all seemed right with the world. I ran it for about 30 minutes, put the heat plate back in and decided maybe it's all it was (though I was suspicious of the clunking and grinding noises from the auger) I retired to "maybe it's how it always sounded and never noticed". Anyway filled the hopper and decided to just "let er rip". I hadn't gone 10/15 more minutes and bam ERR. I called MM again and they deduced that I have to replace the entire auger, hopper, and basically everything assembly. They wont have it in stock until the 18th and they're waiving shipping cost because of the wait. He also sent me the instructions on how to pull it. So I am going to do that and give it an autopsy and see what I can find or even if I can fix it.
Bottom line it'll be like a brand new grill
If anyone wants them (the instructions I'll post them up
That is really strange...it sounds like MM is taking the shotgun approach rather than trying to isolate the problem, probably a good idea, but vexing for those of us that want to know specifically where the problem lies. I take it they are not replacing the controller at this time?

EDIT: I do know that the controller does not like not being able to see the outputs. Mine will throw that ERR if I turn it on while the PiFire is controlling the outputs. And that controller is an off-the-shelf generic item and not specifically designed for the MM.

Last edited:
Well, I do intend to pull it. I am going to take the approach I take when fixing mixers. Find out what went wrong and make it better and stronger if I can. Weather is supposed to be crappy here for a bit, but once it warms I will be pulling that baby out. Also the way it looks. The entire assembly will also include a new controller as well

Back to grilling. Been a while since I had the time and/or weather. Cheap grill today. Bought a pork ribeye roast that I cut into steaks. Brined it and threw it on the grill. Less than 3 bucks a pound and nearly as good as a beef ribeye.
Pork ribrye 2.jpgPork ribeye.jpg

No way!. Actually, I have never had pork ribeye. I would love to find "Nearly as good as beef ribeye" for $3 a pound.
Surprisingly good for the price. Mine was boneless. Maybe the "nearly as good" was a stretch, but if you brine it and treat it like a steak, it is a good meal on a budget. Just do not cook it past medium. Great if you have a lot of people to feed.

If it needs electricity, it’s not a bbq. It’s an oven.
Hence my preference for no equipment which cannot be powered by a battery with the exception of the rotisserie. When I get my battery motor, even that grumble goes away! That might be a while, between the two (Genesis and kettle) I have two perfectly service units, not rushing to replace the anytime soon. Probably both will give put ten minutes after I finish the spinny cart and get a brace of chickens going!

Some call it that. Basically it's a bone in pork loin or other name for it pork crown roast
It’s only a “Crown” if you truss in onto a ring, otherwise it’s just a bone in loin. I love them either way. Spotty to find anymore, I am considering trying to find a “matched set” to do a pretty presentation called the “Garde d’Honeur” where the rib tips are crossed and dressed in paper frills.
But, that’s a lot of pork! For eight it might be a bit much I need twelve!

My second try at using the OnlyFire pizza gizmo on the Genesis II. Now, full disclosure, the crust and sauce are from a Molinaros pizza kit from Costco. They're not bad at all.
I got the stone to about 550 because the crusts are partially baked.
The pizza gizmo works well.0306231154.jpg

Well I got that bad boy apart. Lots of stuff in there. I thought I would find the auger motor all bound up. But, it's not. I'm gonna put it all back together later after my Costco run and give it another test run. At least if it's still messed up they're sending me the whole thing.

20230307_131811.jpg20230307_131814.jpg20230307_132315.jpg20230307_132318.jpg20230307_132329.jpg20230307_132344.jpg20230307_133037.jpg20230307_133042.jpg

Well I got that bad boy apart. Lots of stuff in there. I thought I would find the auger motor all bound up. But, it's not. I'm gonna put it all back together later after my Costco run and give it another test run. At least if it's still messed up they're sending me the whole thing.

View attachment 67286View attachment 67287View attachment 67288View attachment 67289View attachment 67290View attachment 67291View attachment 67292View attachment 67293
After tearing into it, what’s your impression about the overall construction?

Is it solid?

After working on kitchenaid mixers, do you think this grill is well built?

Do you see it lasting 10 years or longer?

Thanks

Back