Anybody grilling?

Sure look good. Did you long/slow cook them like ribs are normally done?
I put a heavy dose of rib rub on at 1pm and left them uncovered in the garage fridge for 3 hours.

4.40pm started smoking at 275F.

About 5.30pm raised temp to 300F

6.40pm put in baking dish covered with foil, bumped temp to 340F. Pulled them off at 7pm.

Kids like them better than ribs.

Yep, country style ribs are quite tasty. Similar to a thick cut pork steak in taste. Looks delicious.

I have seen on several sites where they are considered sacrilege since they don't really come from the rib cut. But, hey, if they taste anything like real ribs when done, who cares? Not me.

They're from the shoulder. So simply treat them like shoulder (butt). I like them as well. I tried once pressure cooking them. Maybe it was me but disaster. My fav is a long low and slow. plenty of smoke and honestly I don't even bother with rubs. Just good ol S&P. Lets all that piggy "goodness" come through. They remind me of old style "real" pork like we used to get in the 50s

So, do you actually try to mimic Ribs with them (ie sauce and all) or just cook them up as some boneless slabs of pork?

So, do you actually try to mimic Ribs with them (ie sauce and all) or just cook them up as some boneless slabs of pork?
The answer is "it depends". If I have a taste for ribs and I see these I will do them that way. Other times I treat them very simply as just wonderful roasted pork or simply slow roasted/grilled and let the fat render. So I am getting hungry for them as I type

I tend to treat them more like roasts, rubbed, sauced and eaten with great gusto!
I used to simmer them in sauce and then grill them off, have not done them that way in ages, I should do them again.

Miriam loves most anything pork but says she hates CSRs, no matter how many times I tell her they're just pieces of pork shoulder. Go figure. I've got a couple of big shoulders in the freezer. As soon as the wind we've been getting lately subsides, I'm going to cure about half of one for buckboard bacon. Was going to grind the other half for sausage but now thinking of chopping it up into CSRs and see if she'll eat them, knowing that I cut them from a nice shoulder:)

Back