Andouille Sausage Making

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Andouille Sausage

I made some andouille sausage that I plan to use in future gumbo cooks.

Rounded up some spices.

5 lbs of cut up pork butt seasoned.

Ground.

The snake for the WSM

Links. Don't tell my wife what I've done to her baking sheets!

Setup on the WSM

Cooked for a few hours at 150 and then bumped up to 180 to finish for an internal of 150.

Finished Links.

Freezing most of it for future gumbo cooks.

Saved a few links for myself. Turned out great! I toned down the spices slightly. If I did the recipe as written this would have burned my tongue off.

Last edited:
Looks like wonderful sausage Dustin. Any chance you could share the recipe as you did it (not so hot)?

Looks like wonderful sausage Dustin. Any chance you could share the recipe as you did it (not so hot)?

This is the recipe I used:

http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/andouille.pdf

I cook my sausage using metric measurements and converted the measurements to percentages of the combined meat and fat.
So my version is more like.

2270 g pork shoudler
Dry red wine 10% (I just used water.)
Chopped garlic 2%
Salt 1.5%
Ancho chile powder .95%
Onion Powder .7%
Sugar (Recipe called for this. I'm watching carbs so I cut it, but it's really not that much. ) .6%
Red Pepper flakes .3%
Paprika .28%
Black pepper .28%
Cure#1 .25% (necessary for slow smoking. I like the taste it brings)
Pequin pepper .25% ( I completely cut this. These things can be HOT)
File powder .125%
Cayenne pepper .08% (I did this. I'd actually cut it down to .04%)
Mace .07% (I substituted nutmeg because I couldn't mace)
Dried Thyme .06%.

Sorry if the percentages confuse anyone. This guy's site does this on a lot of his recipe's but not this one. I find it far easier than fiddling around with U.S. measurements and I can scale the recipe however I want. The gist of it is cut the chile pequins. Maybe cut the cayenne in half. I left it and its fine for me, but on the verge of being too hot for some guests. I'm going to cut the cayenne I put in my gumbo to compensate.

Last edited:
Good looking sausage Dustin. Been looking for a recipe to try making some myself. This might be the one because I like Andouille.
Thanks for sharing it.

Dustin that is delicious fantastic job. Rich has the recipe now so looking forward to some real soon. Thanks again for sharing the recipe.

Thanks for the recipe Dustin. I will be trying that in the near future. That's one of the many things I love about this site. People are always willing to help others.

Thanks Dustin, your andouille looks great. I appreciate the time you took to post the details. I recently acquired a grinder and stuffer, and have a 50' package of food service casings in the freezer. So your andouille recipe will be a part of my first pass at sausage.

Wonderful looking links Dustin. I always feel a sense of accomplishment after doing a batch of links that look professional (and tastes better ;) ).

YUM! That stuff looks really good.

Would be the perfect topper for a batch of Red Beans & Rice...
(Gettin' to be that time of the year for stuff like that and a big pot of Chili, then crack a cold one or three while watching some Football!)

Two words Dustin: YOU ROCK!!!

20160911_174524.jpg

Back