Adding to my Smoking Arsenal

ErnestY

I'm looking forward to tips, tricks, and accessories for the WSM. I currently have a Kamado Joe Classic and Joe Jr. I just purchased a used WSM 18" and I'm already checking out the mods. 😀

Attachments

• IMG_3283 2.JPG
    IMG_3283 2.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 10
Welcome from another newish guy! I would agree with Rich. Get a few easy cooks under your belt stock and see what you need/want. I’ve found mine to very steady and reliable without any big bells and whistles.

Welcome, Ernest!

May I suggest you run your WSM in stock configuration for a bit, then figure out the mods that will enhance your experience?

Rich makes a great point...walk before you run; don't rush it and you'll get there before you know it.

Welcome, Ernest, glad you joined us. I certainly agree with the above advice. The only thing that I have done to my 18 and 14 wsm's is wire the charcoal ring and charcoal grate together. It makes it a basket and it's easier to sift the leftover charcoal and reuse.

I also started looking at every single mod for the WSM when I first got my 18" about a year ago. After a couple dozen cooks in it I have no ambition to do anything to it. I know exactly where to set the bottom vents for my temp range and it works perfectly.

Welcome, Ernest, glad you joined us. I certainly agree with the above advice. The only thing that I have done to my 18 and 14 wsm's is wire the charcoal ring and charcoal grate together. It makes it a basket and it's easier to sift the leftover charcoal and reuse.
I actually met accessories not mods. I'm all thumbs when it comes to tools. When people explain how to "fix" things around the house, my response back, "I can cook."

I actually would like to change the charcoal ring. I have the Kick Ash Baskets for my KJ. I've researched for the WSM - Arbor basket, Hunsaker Vortex Basket, and the Naked Basket. Any others I should consider and what's the recommendation?

I don't plan on using the included water pan but rather a ceramic pizza stone as the diffuser. I have great success with using a ceramic diffuser. Thanks in Advance

Last edited:
I actually met accessories not mods. I'm all thumbs when it comes to tools. When people explain how to "fix" things around the house, my response back, "I can cook."

I'm actually would like to change the charcoal ring. I have the Kick Ash Baskets for my KJ. I've researched for the WSM - Arbor basket, Hunsaker Vortex Basket, and the Naked Basket. Any others I should consider and what's the recommendation?

I don't plan on using the included water pan but rather a ceramic pizza stone as the diffuser. I have great success with using a ceramic diffuser. Thanks in Advance
I got my used WSM 18 last week and used it for a corned beef - Yummy - Held temp way better than when I did the kettle. I did use the water pan for the cook. I cleaned it up today so I could start the mods. I want to at least add handles to the mid section and wheels. Yours looks very shinny! Just out of curiosity why did you get it when you have 2 kamado cookers?

I got my used WSM 18 last week and used it for a corned beef - Yummy - Held temp way better than when I did the kettle. I did use the water pan for the cook. I cleaned it up today so I could start the mods. I want to at least add handles to the mid section and wheels. Yours looks very shinny! Just out of curiosity why did you get it when you have 2 kamado cookers?
honestly, hanging ribs to smoke intrigued me. I was not looking for another smoker until my friend showed me what he did with a Pit Barrel Smoker. I wanted to be able to control the temp so I decided on a Weber. I wasn't planning on a new one but I saw this on Craigslist already modded with a hinge for the cover, and added gaskets and couldn't pass up on the offer.

Now I can do a brisket, or pulled pork, on the KJ, tri-tip on the Joe Jr, and ribs and chicken on the WSM. 😉😬😂

honestly, hanging ribs to smoke intrigued me. I was not looking for another smoker until my friend showed me what he did with a Pit Barrel Smoker. I wanted to be able to control the temp so I decided on a Weber. I wasn't planning on a new one but I saw this on Craigslist already modded with a hinge for the cover, and added gaskets and couldn't pass up on the offer.

Now I can do a brisket, or pulled pork, on the KJ, tri-tip on the Joe Jr, and ribs and chicken on the WSM. 😉😬😂
How much was your WSM with the mods? I was thinking about the hinge also.

I actually would like to change the charcoal ring. I have the Kick Ash Baskets for my KJ. I've researched for the WSM - Arbor basket, Hunsaker Vortex Basket, and the Naked Basket. Any others I should consider and what's the recommendation?

Accessories purchased for my WSM 18" Classic that I bought new in the year 2008: Hunsaker Vortex Plate, Gateway Rib Hanger, Pit Barrel Hanging Hooks.

Yep, this is me 100%.
I tend to say “I can make gougere” and everything after that for a fabulous dinner. My cabinetmaker buddy’s wife says he gets fat doing jobs here! Living room cabinets, here I come! Pulled pork for lunch that day or maybe some kind of something fun in the beef realm, lamb would be extravagant for lunch.

Back