A Little Lost With the New Toy

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Got a question that may seem strange to you seeing I’ve been on this forum for quite a while now.
Here goes, I just picked up a like brand new 18.5 WSM off CL for $85, wasn’t looking for one just stepped into it when I was cruising CL couldn’t say no and Barb said go for it.
I built my own mini and I am very comfortable with it, but with that said I really haven’t been paying much attention to the posts using the bigger WSMs seeing I didn’t have one.
Well now I’m clueless where to start and I am searching for something simple to start with and have read so many different ways to do everything from such as how much charcoal to start with, just foil the pan no water, water.
Temps I can handle based on what I do on the mini.
I have a feeling it will be like the mini but just more of it.
So what would you Chefs out there think would be a good cook to start with.
I have a boneless pork loin roast maybe try that, but I’m open to anything.

I imagine that's like my dilemma. I have an 18.5 and my buddy has a 22.5 WSM. The 22.5 seems intimidating, but it's really just more charcoal, and more real estate like the others mentioned.

Got a question that may seem strange to you seeing I’ve been on this forum for quite a while now.
Here goes, I just picked up a like brand new 18.5 WSM off CL for $85, wasn’t looking for one just stepped into it

~~~like new $300 charcoal/wood smoker for only $85?...nice score meng!

...sounds like someone seasoned it for you so now you get to let er' rip from the start...

So what would you Chefs out there think would be a good cook to start with.
I have a boneless pork loin roast maybe try that, but I’m open to anything.

~~~two words...packer brisket

bout the only place I can buy this cut reasonably around my area is Wal-Mart...I bought a choice 15 lb. packer brisket and it fit on my 18.5 WSM, after I curled the flat on the end so the lid would fit. no biggie....as the meat cooked down, there was plenty of room on the grill

FWIW, I paid about $40 for the packer brisket I cooked, and I've only done one so far. You'll have enough coal to cook a brisket that size w/o adding more coal during the cook...at least I did, using the minion method

Why not post a pic of your new beauty?

Salutations!

Sorry in my rush to get some help I forgot to post some pictures of the new arrival.

S1030242_zpsf0346485.jpg

S1030244_zps19fa1733.jpg

S1030246_zps582df566.jpg

Wow. You got a great deal on the 18.5" for $85. As others have said, shouldn't be much different than the mini and the good thing is you saved so much money, you can afford plenty of meat to try it out. Personally, I would do two things. I would find some way to make sure the thermometer is reading correctly (even if it's way off, just make sure you have a way of knowing that) and then I would throw a port butt on there. After that, it's all about trial and error and finding out what you like. The good thing about this hobby is that even a "bad" cook typically yields some pretty good food.

Rich;
Congratulations on a FINE acquisition! I fill all of my charcoal baskets with fresh briquettes regardless of what I am cooking. I close down right after finishing my smoke and save the coals for my grill. That way, I don't run out of fuel (by trying to guess how much I'll need). I use the tin can minion method with all of my smokers (12 lit coals with the 18.5). I foil my water pan except when doing high heat chicken when I simply remove the water pan.

I do find a difference between the 18.5" WSM and the Mini-Joe in one area. When using the Mini, I don't start to close down the bottom vents until I reach target temperature. When using the 18.5" I find it necessary to start closing down (catch the temperature on the way up) before target temperature is reached or I will over shoot the target temp. Just a bit of difference in how the bigger unit reponds to the fire.

Otherwise, they will be quite similar. Chris' articles on running the 18.5 are spot on - he really knows what he is preaching, that's for sure (thank you, Chris, for all that you do and are doing for the forum).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Rich;
Congratulations on a FINE acquisition! I fill all of my charcoal baskets with fresh briquettes regardless of what I am cooking. I close down right after finishing my smoke and save the coals for my grill. That way, I don't run out of fuel (by trying to guess how much I'll need). I use the tin can minion method with all of my smokers (12 lit coals with the 18.5). I foil my water pan except when doing high heat chicken when I simply remove the water pan.

I do find a difference between the 18.5" WSM and the Mini-Joe in one area. When using the Mini, I don't start to close down the bottom vents until I reach target temperature. When using the 18.5" I find it necessary to start closing down (catch the temperature on the way up) before target temperature is reached or I will over shoot the target temp. Just a bit of difference in how the bigger unit reponds to the fire.

Otherwise, they will be quite similar. Chris' articles on running the 18.5 are spot on - he really knows what he is preaching, that's for sure (thank you, Chris, for all that you do and are doing for the forum).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

That's exactly what I do with the mini, use the leftover coals from the mini in the performer. Same here with the tin can Minion on the mini and have a foiled clay saucer.

Just want to say thanks to the forum family for all the great advice and links to sites that offer some great information. I feel more confident that the WSM will work out pretty much like the mini.

I have had very good luck with tri tips on the mini so I think I will give that a try as the first cook on it. Even doing a L&S with the TT it won't take too long and I can get a feel for the vents during that time. Hopefully tomorrow I'll fire it up but due to a 90% chance of rain I may have to wait a day or two. I will post my results as soon as I can get it done.

Oh and I will be paying a lot more attention to your WSM posts from now on.

Rich you make sick with this kind of a deal. Man I paid twice that and thought I did good.
Well I have a buddy that we talked into smoking and he is doing his very first cook tonight a nice 6-7 lb bone pork butt. And he is doing very well he is. Amazed how well it holds temp at a rock steady 250. The 18.5 is a solid unit.

Rich you make sick with this kind of a deal. Man I paid twice that and thought I did good.
Well I have a buddy that we talked into smoking and he is doing his very first cook tonight a nice 6-7 lb bone pork butt. And he is doing very well he is. Amazed how well it holds temp at a rock steady 250. The 18.5 is a solid unit.

Wow! Great deal! That Q looks brand new!

I felt great when I got mine for $60 off asking price because they were clearing out last year's model... but you got a way better deal!

I'm pretty certain that no matter what you cook in it it will be good.

Back