A Decade Long Pursuit Realized, Ramen Umami

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Over a decade ago in NYC I had lunch with a friend at a Japanese place, I had Ramen, real Ramen and learned what real pleasure in a bowl can be. I tried a couple of times to replicate it but never got close. Well I immersed myself into it the past week and learned a lot. Today I found it. Umami, which means savory taste is actually what scientists call the 5th taste bud and it is hit with certain types of food and especially when combined. Real Ramen hits those buds with a bit of heaven.

I went with a beef version of Ramen which is not common in Japan but is here, though pork is the consensus best. I like the beef one that I had before.
Beef hind shanks and a whole leg bone cut up for the broth which is the first key component in Ramen. You do them in a rolling boil for up to and over six hours. I also added a lot of our frozen stock veggies too.
A trick I found out about was initially bring your pot to a boil with the bones in and then after a few minutes stop and drain it. This removes a lot of scum and most importantly the hemoglobin than turns your broth brown. Then you fill the pot and boil hard for hours and hours

DSC_0568_zps33e69034.jpg

DSC_0571_zpsd4fe6e41.jpg

While that boiled away I made something that is fabulous, marinated soft boiled eggs

Boil the water place eggs in direct from fridge, let it come back to a very soft simmer and cook for 5 minutes and 45 seconds. Pull let cool a little peel and put in your marinade of Soy, Mirin, Sugar. Refrigerate until a few hours goes by and take out of marinade and keep in fridge until ready to serve
Place a paper towel over the top and it will marinate the top of the egg too

DSC_0575_zpsd8b320e8.jpg

DSC_0577_zpsa7a40f75.jpg

After six and a half hours, then after strained. The smell is incredible. Dashi (fabulous) added towards the end

DSC_0580_zps4ebaa1cb.jpg

DSC_0582_zps26b873b9.jpg

DSC_0606_zpsc7250b2b.jpg

The next day, heat up your broth until simmering, add fresh ginger, garlic and onion. And a couple of tbsp of Oyster sauce

DSC_0583_zps348f116f.jpg

Some Sake and these two added, along with mushrooms some carrots held over from the broth making. Watch out with the Chili Oil, hot sh!t

DSC_0587_zps33b6078c.jpg

Second part coming, two links below explain things better than I can and are very useful for a lot of what we do, especially Umami

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/02/h...me-recipe.html

http://www.molecularrecipes.com/mole...tronomy/umami/

Last edited:
Some Tenderloins wrapped in bacon on the OTG

DSC_0592_zps817af7bc.jpg

Done at 130 and heading in

DSC_0594_zps186345e0.jpg

The co-star of this cook, good Japanese Ramen

DSC_0595_zpsfade667f.jpg

On the table

DSC_0600_zps40a27b9d.jpg

Your plate, or rather bowl with some scallions, radishes and bean sprouts.

DSC_0603_zpsb37175a1.jpg

Tonight I'm celebrating, it was NYC Japanese good and the flavor was heavenly

DSC_0605_zpsbe2770dc.jpg

Bill my friend....you are living the dream. I got some Yakatori chicken waiting at home for me to grill, all inspired by you!

That looks great. I was just watching the mind of a chef with David Chang yesterday. He was making ramon. Made me wanna give it a shot

I see the blondie... I have one also hopefully I can smoke it this weekend.

I nominate Bill for best cook of the year for Tvwbb.com

Bill, that looks absolutely fantastic. Thanks for the great pics and all the details on creating this dish.

Bill, you've really outdone yourself this time. What an educational and masterful cook. You are an inspiration! Thank you for sharing!

Wow Bil you certainly are a worldly Man in your cooking ability!!! That Ramen looks sensational!!!

One of your finest cooks, Bill. Your dedication to your craft is truly remarkable, as is your drive for authenticity in international cuisine.

Bill, that was an education in fine Japanese cooking and you have it down to an art form. Thanks for sharing I really enjoyed it.

That's a fantastic looking bowl of noodles! I like Ramen but I love Pho. Which the making of is just as intense as ramen.

Is take two bowls of your Ramen any day!

Back