Brownies in the WSM

Nice job Chris! The WSM works great for baking. I've done lots of pies and cakes in my 14", but not brownies. Might have to remedy that.

Great video Chris. I do a lot of baking on my E320 and performer with cast iron pans. Haven't tried brownies, as a matter of fact I can't remember the last time I had a brownie. Haven't used my 18.5 WSM for baking but may do so.

Yum! Haven't made brownies in years. one of my favorite deserts is brownies with mint chocolate chip ice cream with hot fudge and whipped cream!

I have made brownies several times on my WSM and Genesis . They come out very good. People think it's strange when my wife tells them they were cooked on the smoker.
Thanks for the video.

Looks good!

Basically, anything you can bake in oven a you can cook in a wsm.

When son was in scouts we got pretty good at cooking and baking in dutch oven too. Brownies, and my favorite....pineapple upside down cake..were favs.

If i had had a mini wsm then......boy would i have eaten good on troop campouts. Ribs ribs ribs.

Last edited:
Chris, that was a great video. Like Rich said its been a while since we've had brownies and those look delicious. We'll be trying them for sure. Thanks again.

1) Bob Correll, pithy as always. :)

2) Nice job, Chris. Also loved your Q&A. To avoid the iron skillet handle problem why not try your carbon steel paella pan, the one with the 2 loop handles at the back of your closet? You have one, right? ;)

The steel, being thinner than the cast iron, might call for a lower cooking temp, though.

You have probably already thought of this, but regarding the difference in the baking times between Chef Gordon's Egg and your WSM do you think the difference in the insulation of each product might have made a difference?

Last edited:
1) Bob Correll, pithy as always. :)

2) Nice job, Chris. Also loved your Q&A. To avoid the iron skillet handle problem why not try your carbon steel paella pan, the one with the 2 loop handles at the back of your closet? You have one, right? ;)

The steel, being thinner than the cast iron, might call for a lower cooking temp, though.

You have probably already thought of this, but regarding the difference in the baking times between Chef Gordon's Egg and your WSM do you think the difference in the insulation of each product might have made a difference?

First of all...where have you been for the last year? Missing you around here! Apparently I have to post something about BAKING to get you to come out of hibernation. My plan worked! :D

No, I am one of the unlucky ones...I don't have a paella pan. As for the difference in insulation, you tell me: If the air around the pan measures 350°F and is consistently held at that temperature, does it matter than the enclosure is more or less insulated? My intuition says no. I suspect she can bake her brownies using a fraction of the charcoal I did, but I can't explain the difference in baking time. Even a single batch of the same brownies in a metal or glass baking dish takes about 45 minutes to bake, not sure how she's doing it in "about 30 minutes".

And her media rep didn't respond to my questions. :confused:

Back