Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nut Wood and Allergies

TVWBB Gold Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Oh Bob! I was pretty sure you were going to be the first with that!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

I don't think so. My daughter has nut allergies so I understand your concern. And she is allergic to pecans and walnuts. Nut allergies are reactions to the oils and proteins within the nut. Since the tree that the nut grows from does not contain oil or proteins, but rather cellulose, hemicellulose and lignins (polymer), I don't think you should worry. You can extract resins, fatty acids and turpentine from wood but again, it isn't the same stuff as what is in the nut.

I cook with pecan and we don't have problems at home. If you wanted to be super careful, maybe remove the bark from your wood pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    They sure do, just ask squirrels or Euell.
    I remember the commercial, but that's about it. Didn't know folks ate hickory nuts.

Used to squirrel hunt years ago, and early in the season, we always looked for hickory nut trees because their leaves turned color early - and of course, Mr. squirrel was always there for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", & Royal Oak Lump / Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Fong View Post
    I don't think so. My daughter has nut allergies so I understand your concern. And she is allergic to pecans and walnuts. Nut allergies are reactions to the oils and proteins within the nut. Since the tree that the nut grows from does not contain oil or proteins, but rather cellulose, hemicellulose and lignins (polymer), I don't think you should worry. You can extract resins, fatty acids and turpentine from wood but again, it isn't the same stuff as what is in the nut.

I cook with pecan and we don't have problems at home. If you wanted to be super careful, maybe remove the bark from your wood pile.
    Yes, what she said! I'll put my trust in the R&D Scientist!

TVWBB Gold Member
    I am seriously allergic to shell fish of all kinds (any crustacean). The fumes from cooking shrimp can set off an asthma attack and eating the meat causes my throat to swell shut. Black walnut wood is toxic and is was often used for grain bins in this part of the country because insects and worms couldn't bother the grain. I was visiting a friend during the Christmas Holidays and he was burning wood in his fireplace. The fireplace was not drawing well and breathing the smoke set off an asthma attack. The wierd part about it is that other than the named situations, I don't have asthma.

So, I would not under any circumstances use walnut for smoke wood. Understand, I am NOT allergic to nuts of any kind, even walnuts and I regularly eat them. It is just the smoke that is toxic to me. I have not had any adverse reaction to any other smoke wood (hickory, mesquite, oak, cherry, apple, pecan, etc.)

FWIW
    Dale53
    Mini-Joe Gold, 14.5 WSM, 18.5 WSM, 2 Performers with Vortex, gasser (taking up space), SJS, JJ

TVWBB Gold Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I never considered using walnut as a smoke wood the tannins et al. are known to be toxic so that’s an easy one to let go by for me. One Thanksgiving a buddy called me proudly announcing he’d put some mahogany on to smoke a turkey! I told him to hang up and get that stuff out of there immediately! It’s another in the “questionable” column, as an instrument or furniture or boat building material many beautiful woods work, as smoking media? Not as many. It pays to be careful.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12