Old Surveyor makes deer jerky from 35 year old recipe

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Edit 7/31/2016
Since Chris put this post in the recipe section, I thought I would put the typed recipe up top in case my photo of it goes away.
Plus, I've added a bit more of my process.
Thanks again for the kind comments!

Adapted from the Missouri Conservationist magazine

2 lbs lean beef or venison sliced thin
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp salt
(add a bit of brown sugar if you like a hint of sweet, and/or cayenne for some heat)

Marinate at least one hour, overnight is okay too.
Don't rinse, but do drain and pat dry
Smoke low, between 145 and 165 F
After initial smoke it can be finished in a dehydrator, or oven on the lowest setting with door cracked open a bit.
I like to dry it to the point there's a little chew left and not brittle.
Squeeze the pieces, and if they still feel a little spongy then keep drying

Back in the late 1970's it was hard to find jerky that wasn't 'sectioned and formed' boot leather.
Our wonderful monthly Missouri Conservationist magazine published a recipe for jerky, and I was off and running!

Around 1980 I started keeping recipes in an engineer's field book.
First in was that jerky recipe.
DSCF1065.JPG

DSCF1067.JPG

Yesterday, still using that as a very rough guide, I prepared jerky from my son's deer he killed last fall.
The only thing measured was 1 teaspoon of Tender Quick, something I've added for years.
DSCF1068.JPG

In the fridge for about 6 hours.
DSCF1070.JPG

Then skewered.
DSCF1071.JPG

On the WSM with a few lit Stubb's brigs, and sugar maple for smoke.
DSCF1073.JPG

DSCF1074.JPG

My temps got a little higher than I wanted, and it was a little cooked instead of just dried, but it's mighty tasty!
DSCF1076.JPG

That's all I got on the 'cook' but here's more if you care to read.

After about 35 years as a land surveyor I get a bit nostalgic when I pull out this old field book.
As a crew chief (aka party chief) I have kept notes and made thousands of sketches in these books.
Sweat dripping on the pages in summer, hands so cold I could hardly hold a pencil in the winter.
But I loved my job, and now, after several years of retirement, I often have dreams that I'm still out in the field. (but only when the weather is nice :)
Sorry for the long post, thanks for dropping by!

Oh, and I have some deer bologna to smoke in a day or so.
DSCF1066.JPG

Last edited:
holeyMoleyBob! you're handwriting hasn't changed very much at all...

and i'll betcha a buck or four that jerky you "cooked" tastes pretty damGOOD with OR without a cold brewski buddy!

Great post Bob....thank you for sharing those memories with us.
Yeah! Thanks Bud!!

There's a Mule Deer in Modoc County that's going to wish I didn't see this thread :)

Nice looking jerky Bob...that recipe looks very similar to one I use quite often..bet it was tasty!!

I really need these notes.
I have an emotional attachment to them because i know who collected them and wrote. I change for one of the cookbooks from Weber - with additional fee;)
Deer jerky must taste fantastic.
Nice post Bob.

My friend your description of the weather and your love of the outdoors rings true with me as a Man who worked outdoors for a living for decades, I too have recipes for venison jerky that goes back many years. Yours looks familiar and excellent as does your jerk

Great post Bob, I have great memories of my work life also, it was great having a job you enjoyed. Nice looking jerky!

Bob - thanks for this post. Up till now I have made all of my jerky with ground meat, a jerky cannon, and my Excalibur dehydrator. I recently purchased an old Rival meat slicer so I may give this a try. I especially like the idea of smoking it on the grill. What cut of meat do you suggest using?

Regards,

John

Read this yesterday, Bob but I guess I didn't comment. Thanks for sharing the memories and the recipe. I love jerky and will give it a try.

Looks great Bob! Love the old recipe books that are taped together, you know there is good stuff locked in there!

I'm not sure what I like better: the slightly over cooked jerky,
or the wonderful trips down memory lane.
I guess I like them both!

Back