Old Surveyor makes deer jerky from 35 year old recipe

Bob Correll

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Edit 7/31/2016
Since Chris put this post in the recipe section, I thought I would put the typed recipe up top in case my photo of it goes away.
Plus, I've added a bit more of my process.
Thanks again for the kind comments!

Adapted from the Missouri Conservationist magazine

2 lbs lean beef or venison sliced thin
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp salt
(add a bit of brown sugar if you like a hint of sweet, and/or cayenne for some heat)

Marinate at least one hour, overnight is okay too.
Don't rinse, but do drain and pat dry
Smoke low, between 145 and 165 F
After initial smoke it can be finished in a dehydrator, or oven on the lowest setting with door cracked open a bit.
I like to dry it to the point there's a little chew left and not brittle.
Squeeze the pieces, and if they still feel a little spongy then keep drying

Back in the late 1970's it was hard to find jerky that wasn't 'sectioned and formed' boot leather.
Our wonderful monthly Missouri Conservationist magazine published a recipe for jerky, and I was off and running!

Around 1980 I started keeping recipes in an engineer's field book.
First in was that jerky recipe.

Yesterday, still using that as a very rough guide, I prepared jerky from my son's deer he killed last fall.
The only thing measured was 1 teaspoon of Tender Quick, something I've added for years.

In the fridge for about 6 hours.

Then skewered.

On the WSM with a few lit Stubb's brigs, and sugar maple for smoke.

My temps got a little higher than I wanted, and it was a little cooked instead of just dried, but it's mighty tasty!

That's all I got on the 'cook' but here's more if you care to read.

After about 35 years as a land surveyor I get a bit nostalgic when I pull out this old field book.
As a crew chief (aka party chief) I have kept notes and made thousands of sketches in these books.
Sweat dripping on the pages in summer, hands so cold I could hardly hold a pencil in the winter.
But I loved my job, and now, after several years of retirement, I often have dreams that I'm still out in the field. (but only when the weather is nice :)
Sorry for the long post, thanks for dropping by!

Oh, and I have some deer bologna to smoke in a day or so.

Last edited:

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
holeyMoleyBob! you're handwriting hasn't changed very much at all...

and i'll betcha a buck or four that jerky you "cooked" tastes pretty damGOOD with OR without a cold brewski buddy!

Great post Bob....thank you for sharing those memories with us.
Yeah! Thanks Bud!!

Morgan C.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Nice looking jerky Bob...that recipe looks very similar to one I use quite often..bet it was tasty!!

Mildo

TVWBB Guru
I really need these notes.
I have an emotional attachment to them because i know who collected them and wrote. I change for one of the cookbooks from Weber - with additional fee;)
Deer jerky must taste fantastic.
Nice post Bob.

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
My friend your description of the weather and your love of the outdoors rings true with me as a Man who worked outdoors for a living for decades, I too have recipes for venison jerky that goes back many years. Yours looks familiar and excellent as does your jerk

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Great post Bob, I have great memories of my work life also, it was great having a job you enjoyed. Nice looking jerky!

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Bob - thanks for this post. Up till now I have made all of my jerky with ground meat, a jerky cannon, and my Excalibur dehydrator. I recently purchased an old Rival meat slicer so I may give this a try. I especially like the idea of smoking it on the grill. What cut of meat do you suggest using?

Regards,

John

Cliff Bartlett

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Read this yesterday, Bob but I guess I didn't comment. Thanks for sharing the memories and the recipe. I love jerky and will give it a try.

Tim McCann

TVWBB Honor Circle
Looks great Bob! Love the old recipe books that are taped together, you know there is good stuff locked in there!

Brian Dahl

TVWBB Gold Member
I'm not sure what I like better: the slightly over cooked jerky,
or the wonderful trips down memory lane.
I guess I like them both!

Bob Correll

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

What cut of meat do you suggest using?
Regards,
John
John,
I would use top, bottom, or eye of round.
You want lean beef, trim off any fat.
I've made a lot of jerky using round steaks.