You know you're getting old when...

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
You can add you own "You know you're getting old when..." post to this thread, if so inclined. Please keep it as positive as possible, a thread like this can easily become a gripe fest if we're not careful. :)

You know you're getting old when...you start waxing nostalgic about towels. I was clearing out some cabinets in the laundry room and came across these. Boy, they were expensive back in the day but I always felt they were worth the money because of their quality. From a time when we still had a textile industry in America. I looked up Kannapolis, NC online to see how the town has fared since the demise of the textile industry. It looks like they're doing their best to revitalize and grow the town.

IMG_3168[1].JPG

That area of the state was heavy on towels & such. The counties west of Charlotte did a lot of drawing, weaving, and knitting. Back in the late 70s, I used to run bolts of car seat material through a tenting machine, and I also worked in the roving department of another mill that produced synthetics, wool, and alpaca for shipment to finishing mills. At one time, there were more textile spindles (and machine shops) in this area than any place on earth.

Last edited:
You can add you own "You know you're getting old when..." post to this thread, if so inclined. Please keep it as positive as possible, a thread like this can easily become a gripe fest if we're not careful. :)

You know you're getting old when...you start waxing nostalgic about towels. I was clearing out some cabinets in the laundry room and came across these. Boy, they were expensive back in the day but I always felt they were worth the money because of their quality. From a time when we still had a textile industry in America. I looked up Kannapolis, NC online to see how the town has fared since the demise of the textile industry. It looks like they're doing their best to revitalize and grow the town.

View attachment 38009
Those were the best towels you could buy back in the day!

Some of us do remember green stamps. Carbureted vehicles with manual chokes. And while the farmhouse that I grew up in wasn't wired with it, I do have some familiarity with knob & tube wiring. And glass screw-in fuses.

@DanHoo, I remember (and not necessarily fondly) fighting with the points on the GM 300 V6 engine that powered the 1967 New Idea Uni-System 702 power unit. Finally just about came down to replace annually. The 1972 Chevy C60 medium duty truck that Dad bought brand new is still running back home on the farm.

Hrrrm..... here's another one..... going back home this weekend for my 40th year class reunion.

Some of us do remember green stamps. Carbureted vehicles with manual chokes. And while the farmhouse that I grew up in wasn't wired with it, I do have some familiarity with knob & tube wiring. And glass screw-in fuses.

@DanHoo, I remember (and not necessarily fondly) fighting with the points on the GM 300 V6 engine that powered the 1967 New Idea Uni-System 702 power unit. Finally just about came down to replace annually. The 1972 Chevy C60 medium duty truck that Dad bought brand new is still running back home on the farm.

Hrrrm..... here's another one..... going back home this weekend for my 40th year class reunion.
Hmmmm........such a baby!!! lol

Definitely remember S&H Green Stamps. If mom sent any of us to the store and we didn't bring home green stanps, she wasn't a happy camper :) And then there were Blue Chip Stamps too.

Back