You know you're getting old when...

You know you're getting old when...​

You remember what one of theses felt like on a hot sunny day.

c3c7d16161d6fcb7060e0a0e04669aac.jpg

Especially old of you remember them without the extra safety cage at the top of the ladder . . .

b21fbd033cacafb9cc913456d5d37e3a.jpg

BD

Threw my leg out just tonight again carrying the 2 yo up the deck stairs. Ugh. Of course it's the one I fell on 3 weeks ago in the basement.

Yesterday I was talking with the family and somehow the topic came up of using a rotary dial phone to get the time of day, and weather if I remember correctly.

This was different than calling information and speaking to a human.

It was all automated.

I wasn’t able to find the NYC version, but this is similar.

Fwiw

Yesterday I was talking with the family and somehow the topic came up of using a rotary dial phone to get the time of day, and weather if I remember correctly.

It was all automated.

Fwiw

We had a old rotary phone in a homemade box by the pool and one of the neighbors kids needed to call home for permission to swim. He opened the box and just stood there and did nothing, just looked. Wife told him how to use it. Then all the kids suddenly needed to call home.

It was all automated.

Fwiw

Yup. The time lady. I used to call her to adjust clocks or my watch if I forgot to wind it. If I recall the last four digits of the number didn't matter. I think I was taught to use 1234. And, of course we had a rotary phone back then (which sat, along with a phone index, on the "phone table" (a little two tiered table - about the size of an end table). The phone index was the metal type with the sliding pointer and the spring-up lid). Many of the numbers in this index were by exchange name (like TWinbrook3-xxxx).

-John

Yup. The time lady. I used to call her to adjust clocks or my watch if I forgot to wind it. If I recall the last four digits of the number didn't matter. I think I was taught to use 1234. And, of course we had a rotary phone back then (which sat, along with a phone index, on the "phone table" (a little two tiered table - about the size of an end table). The phone index was the metal type with the sliding pointer and the spring-up lid). Many of the numbers in this index were by exchange name (like TWinbrook3-xxxx).

-John
Yup, old Waltham exchange.

Back