Wsm 14.5 3/4 chicken

Ernest

TVWBB Fan
I wanted to try something new with the WSM 14.5 aka lil smokey.
Had a 3/4 chicken already dry brined so I thought what the hell. I made a paste of coconut curry powder, peanut oil and lime juice. Rubbed it all over the chicken and refrigerate it for about 2 hours.

Fired up lil smokey using ozark oak lump charcoal. This has become my favorite fire source. Waiting for it to really get HOT!

Placed the bird skin side down. Notice that I removed the water bowl completely. I do this on the WSM 22.5 AKA Big Worm but I did not know how this would go on lil smokey considering the short distance between the grate and the coals.

I gotta say, minus the skin getting stuck and ripping off, the bird came out perfectly. crispy skin, just a touch of smoke from the lump charcoal.

The plate

Thank you for looking

Nice bird! I've been doing the same on my 18.5 and will always do it that way from now on. I was wondering about my mini and you answered the question, I'll give that a try to save some charcoal.

You nailed it, chicken looks great. I've found waiting a little longer before doing the flip avoids the skin sticking. I'm told that if you have cast-iron grate, it's the icing on the cake. You get the grill marks and not stick

You nailed it, chicken looks great. I've found waiting a little longer before doing the flip avoids the skin sticking. I'm told that if you have cast-iron grate, it's the icing on the cake. You get the grill marks and not stick

I can confirm about the cast iron grate. I use it on my WSM 22.5 and performer.
I kind of flipped early since I didn't know what to expect. I just didn't want to get a charred bird.

That's an Awesome lookin' Chicken Dinner Ernest! I'll bet it tasted Out of This World GREAT!
icon14.png

Am I the only one wondering where the other quarter chicken went to? Never bought 3/4 of a chicken before... Ok, it's probably just me... :rolleyes:

Nice looking meal...

Back