Would you try this?

personally, no. i prefer beef liver in a pan with sauteed onions. i don't do beef heart so it's a no go for me. i just prefer to make my own burger blends, of which 50/50 beef chuck and lamb is a top burger choice in our house, followed by 50/25/25, chuck, brisket, short rib.

but to each their own. some people want more organ meat thus i can see the market on this for the "primal" marketing side of it.

once you grind your own, i think it's hard to go back to store bought ground products. i am not a huge fan of mass food processing of 1,000 cows in my burger meat.

Brett, you are a pretty solid eater, haven’t you ever had “Anticuchos”? Peruvian marinated grilled beef heart, a friends Dad used to do it, it was labor intensive to be sure but, the flavor was really amazing! His son has tried to replicate it but, not as good as Tan’s!

Personally, no. Organ meats are just not to my taste.

My brother's first father-in-law ran a restaurant that was pretty well known for his chili. His secret ingredient was beef heart.

Brett, you are a pretty solid eater, haven’t you ever had “Anticuchos”? Peruvian marinated grilled beef heart, a friends Dad used to do it, it was labor intensive to be sure but, the flavor was really amazing! His son has tried to replicate it but, not as good as Tan’s!
i just can't cross the heart chasm. i also don't do tongue. i'm okay with liver, chicken or beef. and many different proteins. i'm sure it's all psychological but i just don't seek to break the barrier at this time.

I'm in. Hey, I ate a lot of that stuff growing up. Plus if you have eaten McD's, Burger King, White Castle you've been eating "pink slime".

Last edited:
Id absolutely try it. I think its always important to try new things. Could be a taste sensation!

personally, no. i prefer beef liver in a pan with sauteed onions. i don't do beef heart so it's a no go for me. i just prefer to make my own burger blends, of which 50/50 beef chuck and lamb is a top burger choice in our house, followed by 50/25/25, chuck, brisket, short rib.

but to each their own. some people want more organ meat thus i can see the market on this for the "primal" marketing side of it.

once you grind your own, i think it's hard to go back to store bought ground products. i am not a huge fan of mass food processing of 1,000 cows in my burger meat.
I just learned that this week. Finally pulled the trigger on the meat grinder attachment for the KitchenAid mixer and did a first run of ground sirloin for taco meat.
PXL_20240303_234051369.jpg
PXL_20240304_001830582.jpg
I was blown away how much better it was than preground beef. I can't imagine going back now. Even just the sirloin was pretty much the same price as the ground beef. I'm looking forward to trying new mixes of different cuts.

To the original question, I would definitely try it. In fact, it has me considering getting some organs for doing my own grind blend with them.

I just learned that this week. Finally pulled the trigger on the meat grinder attachment for the KitchenAid mixer and did a first run of ground sirloin for taco meat.
View attachment 87466
View attachment 87467
I was blown away how much better it was than preground beef. I can't imagine going back now. Even just the sirloin was pretty much the same price as the ground beef. I'm looking forward to trying new mixes of different cuts.

To the original question, I would definitely try it. In fact, it has me considering getting some organs for doing my own grind blend with them.
Your life has been forever changed, for the better.

I keep both ground chuck and ground pork butt on hand.
For burgers, we have tried many different blends (brisket, sirloin, etc.) but we preferred 100% chuck.
We do like a smash burger with 1 ground chuck patty and 1 ground pork butt patty or a burger of 2/3 chuck and 1/3 butt.

Oh, and Chris, I would try that as I have eaten them all in my life.

I would not buy it deliberately, but I wouldn't refuse it if somebody offered it to me already cooked. So yes, I would be willing to try it. But I'm not a fan of grass fed beef. I never liked liked the taste of liver of any kind. I've never had heart. :)

My mates used to eat heart quite regularly when they were a bit skint. Described it as 'like really cheap steak'.

Don't mind the idea of offal in the mix but probably wouldn't buy.

I might try a burger patty out of it. Who knows might be good. That being said we haven't bought ground beef out of a regular store for years now. And no we don't grind our own because I don't think that you can beat Creek Stones chuck & brisket burger mix. Only down side is that we have to buy 18 lbs to get it. Prosper Meats out of Colorado also makes a great chuck & brisket mix. Which can be purchased in any quantities when they have it in stock. Also free shipping for people like me who live in Colorado. Best of both worlds. Great burger and Colorado.
Cheers,
Russ

Back