Worst Ribs Ever

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Decided to try a rib recipe in Weber’s Smoke book called Championship Spareribs.
I had a package of spares I picked up on sale at the local Frys market.
Followed the recipe exactly, only deviation was I didn’t have all the ingredients for the BBQ sauce so I made some # 5 sauce instead.

About 4 ½ hours at between 225-250 (performer ran a steady 234 for the whole cook). Sauced and foiled for another 45 minutes.

Made some apple pie filling root beer beans and Barb made some corn on the bone on the gasser.
The beans and corn were great. To put it bluntly the ribs sucked. They were dry and chewy. We each took a couple of bites and into the trash the whole rack went.

This morning we met up with our neighbor for our dog walk and I mentioned how bad the ribs were. She asked if they were the ribs on sale at Frys, which they were. She said that they had the same ones and ended up doing the same thing, trashed them

I guess at $.99 a pound I got what I paid for, from now on Costco’s BBs for use, worth every Penney.

35525542262_d085faccf8_z.jpg

35525541592_4e30ef266b_z.jpg

35525540982_569111fb63_z.jpg

35525540222_9316703c8b_z.jpg

35525539442_0ca67abecb_z.jpg

35525538392_97584198d3_z.jpg

Have a safe and fun 4th.

Well, that sucks. They weren't even good enough for the dog?
It's OK to be a vegetarian for one meal every once in a while, though it should be by choice.
Wish you better luck next time.

I understand Rich. I had a fail on the WSM yesterday. Been there done that. On to the next cook.

Just kick back and gnaw on those ribs, look out to the receding smoke, and think life is good. I'm a lucky guy. It's all about perspective. You'll kill it next time Rich. Sorry you were unhappy with your cook. It sure looks good.

The last Baby's I purchased at Smiths here in Las Vegas, NV (Fry's Foods in AZ or Kroger in the midwest) were great.

Bad batches happen everywhere. Sorry to hear about the bad experiences.

Good to know it was consistently bad meat - I knew it wasn't the chef.

Been there and had to recently trash a full cook of ribs as well. My solution was to make more the next week, bought from Costco.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about those terrible ribs. Not your fault, just the supplier. I think have had a bad batch myself.

Ugh. Same thing happened to me a couple months back. I was on top of my rib game and all my cooks had been flawless. Went to cook for my mother in law and her boyfriend and the ribs were like eating wood chips (in texture not flavor...i would have liked that) lol. Somehow whenever I am cooking for people it's never as good as when it's just for our regular meals

I seriously dried out some baby backs the time I cooked them before last. It was one of those fail cooks where I started to doubt I had any idea what I was doing. What I did was so astoundingly dumb. The next ones turned out a lot better. It happens.

Yesterday I pulled a couple of racks of St. Louis ribs from the local Fry's out of the freezer. Still in the vacuum sealed package. I noticed as they thawed that there was quite a bit of liquid in the package. When I opened it, there was a strong smell. Not like rotten meat, but more like I was standing in the middle of a hog farm (sometimes the meat smells a bit like a farm, but this was strong). I rinsed them well, and the smell was mostly gone. They are smoking now, but honestly I'm not optimistic after reading this. Were yours labeled as the Kroger brand (Silver Platter or something like that)?

Yesterday I pulled a couple of racks of St. Louis ribs from the local Fry's out of the freezer. Still in the vacuum sealed package. I noticed as they thawed that there was quite a bit of liquid in the package. When I opened it, there was a strong smell. Not like rotten meat, but more like I was standing in the middle of a hog farm (sometimes the meat smells a bit like a farm, but this was strong). I rinsed them well, and the smell was mostly gone. They are smoking now, but honestly I'm not optimistic after reading this. Were yours labeled as the Kroger brand (Silver Platter or something like that)?

Not positive if it said anything on the packaging but the label with the weight had Kroger in big bold print.

Sorry to hear about the bad ribs Rich, after all the prep work and to just throw them in the trash sucks.
Better luck next time...

Back