Wings with the Vortex

Pat G

TVWBB Emerald Member
It's been a while since I made wings, and it seems like everyone is cooking them, so here are mine.

Firing up some KBB.

That should be hot enough.

Drums and flats with SBR Sweet Chili and Buffalo Sauce.

On the Performer.

Flipped them at 30 minutes.

Spun in the sauces.

Time to eat.

Nothing better than wings cooked with the Vortex. Thanks for looking.:cool:

SCORE!! Wings look great! You're right, nothing's better than the vortex for wings.
Great job,
Tim

Good looking wings! Would the Vortex work in a 22"WSM?
Dan

Last edited:
Just used my Vortex for the first time and loved it. Yours look great too! What do you think of the sweet baby Ray's buffalo sauce? I've used the Franks buffalo sauce and really like it.

I've been on the fence about getting a Vortex for a long time. You just helped me decide and I just ordered one. I can't wait to cook some wings and put a serious sear on some steaks!

Great looking wings Pat. Love the color on all of them, but the Buffalo Sauced wings look especially appealing to me.

Would the medium votex work on a 22" WSM?
Thanks Dan

Dan, I'm sure it would fit in the WSM, just not sure how the indirect would work. If you pulled out the water pan and cooked on the bottom rack it might work but you better have a fireman's suit if you are going to be reaching down to the bottom rack.

Great looking wings Pat, this should be their saying.....Vortex wings "so easy a cave man could do it.";)
I think the only way to use a vortex on a WSM, is to raise the vortex until it is almost hitting the top grate, fire bricks and top them off with a pizza pan??? on the lower rack. Probably not safe but it would work.

Good looking wings! Would the Vortex work in a 22"WSM?
Dan

What makes the Vortex so great with wings is that it turns your kettle into basically a high heat convection oven with the added bonus of smoke. You have the super heat source that is in close proximity to the lid. The lid reflects/circulates the heat and smoke around the wings and cooks them indirectly. If you have any doubt how hot you can get it, try touching the handle of the kettle with a medium Vortex filled with fully engaged KBB using a bare hand. The distance from the lid of a WSM 22 and the heat source will basically negate the advantages of the the Vortex. It would be the same as not using one at all and no way you could get it as hot. The combination of the high heat and indirect cooking is what gives you the crispy skin without burning and allows you to cook them to doneness. If you don't have a kettle already (which is heresy IMHO), new ones are pretty reasonable or you can hit Craigslist for a used one for not much more than the price of the Vortex (go for around $50 for the One touch and $35 for the basic model all day long).

Back