Wings on the Vortex - First Time

Steve Madden

TVWBB Super Fan
First run on the performer with the medium vortex and I’m impressed. Hit all the wings the day before with kosher salt and baking powder mix and added Frank’s powdered seasoning to half. Filled the vortex with Weber briquettes and pegged out the dome thermometer. Wings were on for about 35 minutes and some of the smaller flats were a little overdone but still delicious. Crispy, crispy skin.

Thanks to all for posting your successful vortex cooks. I am a believer now!

CD24946A-3F1D-4D76-8C0D-9E26A90BCAB1.jpeg
4E76ACC8-979E-4479-8F2E-1CE3E08226E5.jpeg077B9709-3E5C-4835-AC9E-4AF7948C43C0.jpeg813F5928-BD28-437F-AB9A-8069D20236FA.jpeg

Those wings look great Steve. All these vortex wing cooks are killing me. My performer and vortex are a no go due to the fire restrictions here meaning no charcoal allowed. :(

Thanks Rich. If I were you, I’d buy the cheapest pontoon boat in town, find a lake, and motor out a couple hundred feet from shore with a kettle onboard.🤓 J/k Probably still against the law. Hope conditions improve out there for you guys very soon.

You nailed that one....
Steve It only gets better, you'll be looking for different wing sauces maybe add some chicken thighs, jalapeño poppers etc.
What a great wing cooker the Vortex actually is..

Thanks guys. When you do chicken thighs with the vortex do you try to dial down the heat or just let her rip?
I "let her rip" with the medium-size Vortex filled with Lit Charcoal from a Weber Large Chimney in my Weber Performer Deluxe in which around fifty(50) chicken wing pieces are ready in around forty-five(45) minutes.

Back