Why I am moving...

It's a huge lifestyle change but 5 acres and a shop in a quiet country setting can truly help soothe the change over. There is a special place in heaven IMO for those who take on helping family in this manner. Maybe use some of those 5 acres to plant some of your own Illini Super Sweet variety. I know it will grow well there

Jon, what a fine thing to do. I hate moving, I don’t think I will move until it’s time for me to take a dirt nap! But, if family needed me like yours needs you, I’d do it too.
Prayers offered for your family.

Jon, you and your wife are doing a remarkable thing. Both Barb and myself wish you the very best, you have been an inspiration with your hard work to a lot of us here on the forum.

Best of wishes Jon. Family is everything. You are a good and noble man.
5 acres is nice, definitely need a 🚜
Like the shed plenty of space.
I did live in Cape Girardeau in the 90’s and used to drive to Michigan to see my parents. I recall taking I70 via Indianapolis. Lots of country side. The weather will be different for sure.
Oh ya I think they have two timezones 🤔

Last edited:
Chris,
After learning to put up with 90+ for weeks on end, it will be interesting to see how I fare with below freezing :unsure: !

I figure that January - mid-April I won't be doing much grill work. The rest of the cooler part of the year I am hoping a barn heater can get things to a tolerable temperature. I would rather work on grills in 50 degrees than 90, that's for sure!!!

We are on a family mission. The shop, scenery and hopefully some pets are just a nice consolation for all the effort to move and flip our lives upside down. I do hope over time I can start to cut back on my office work and do more grill work if I can finally start producing instead of just accumulating:rolleyes:. I plan to do my best.

Jon, April down near Indy is probably pretty good out door weather. I would say November through March are the months you will be most limited.

Godspeed Jon! I commend you for what you'll be doing and I'm pretty sure I'll be envious of your shop! Maybe your "This Old Grill" idea may become a reality...

Jon-
You are indeed a good person. I wish you luck in your new adventure. Sounds like you will land on your feet and fire up that weber once the dust settles. Please keep us posted.

Good show Jon. Florida loses another good man but you will fit right in with those folks up there. God speed.

Good luck. I grew up in the area. Nice area. Lieber State Park is also pretty nice from what I remember.

Yes. We did find time to see the Cataract Falls park. While their billing of it as the “Hoosier Niagara” is a stretch, it is a very pretty spot to picnic and take a short hike. They also have one of the covered bridges that Indiana is known for. Pretty close to where we hope to buy. I plan to pay the annual fee and give my Weber Q’s some workouts there. There is a fantastic old general store right outside that sells all kinds of stuff including vintage sodas on glass bottles, a weakness of mine!

I was definitely interested and almost asked, thanks for sharing.
just from your posts you can tell you are a good man and this move certainly fits that impression.
Best of luck to you. I know when I retire a shop is going to be a top priority in my search for our final home.

Last edited:
STARTING TO HAVE TO SAY "GOOD BYE" TO FLORIDA:cry:🌴

It is extraordinarily mild right now here in South Florida. My wife and I took a short walk to the road that leads to the ocean but we stopped short of that, going only as far as the bridge over the intracoastal waterway. This road is one of the things little Hobe Sound is known for. It is lined with non-native, but beautifully mysterious ficus trees that have grown together to make a shaded tunnel:

IMG_4877.jpeg

The intracoastal waterway runs up most of the east coast of Florida. On the left in this picture is a glimpse of the modest community I manage. The island in the center "Peanut Island" belongs to us but is obviously unbuildable. It provides some shelter for the two canals we are fortunate to have from decades gone by. There is no possibility of having a canal dug today due to environmental considerations. There are often manatees and sometimes dolphins in this waterway and even our canals. We have a three-story building limit in our county, so no big concrete Christmas tree condominiums lining our shore :giggle: .

IMG_4873.jpeg

So cool Jon. I went fishing with my son and his GF at a local community pond. Temps touching 70 and full sun. It was nice.

It was glorious yesterday, pretty good this morning but, now the clouds have moved in and it’s dropped below 70 and SWMBO got a sweater out and went inside. I built a fire for her so she can be comfortable in there.
Got some bad news today, her sister is back in the hospital and might lose her lower right leg due to blood poisoning from something that may have happened while she was in a physical therapy hospital. I don’t think she is strong enough to make it through the surgery but, will pray for the best. It’s hard to be this far away when family is in trouble!
I’m sure it’s going to be hard for you Jon, it’s a wonderful thing that you are doing! Many stars in your crown.

Well, those pictures definitely highlight the best my area has to offer. It is going to be a hilarious thing to see me, like a modern day Eddie Albert/Oliver Douglas, trying to fit in with Midwestern farm country life.

"Keep South Florida, just give me that countryside:LOL:."

eddie-albert-on-tractor-400x300.jpg

Green Acres Fresh Air.jpg

Last edited:
It was glorious yesterday, pretty good this morning but, now the clouds have moved in and it’s dropped below 70 and SWMBO got a sweater out and went inside. I built a fire for her so she can be comfortable in there.
Got some bad news today, her sister is back in the hospital and might lose her lower right leg due to blood poisoning from something that may have happened while she was in a physical therapy hospital. I don’t think she is strong enough to make it through the surgery but, will pray for the best. It’s hard to be this far away when family is in trouble!
I’m sure it’s going to be hard for you Jon, it’s a wonderful thing that you are doing! Many stars in your crown.

Timothy,
I am very sorry for that tough news and will be praying for your sister and family.

Back