Why I am moving...

UPDATE

So, I am still moving to Indiana, but now instead of "Nowhere" it has become "I don't know where."

The DAY BEFORE closing, the seller suddenly announced an ultimatum to my realtor that they refused to come to closing unless we agreed to essentially kick in another $5,500:mad:. That in spite of the fact that we had already agreed to pay $10K ABOVE appraisal and that the $5,500 amount (which was to go to our realtor who has worked VERY hard for us) has been in the contract all along. After numerous concessions on our part, this stunt was one too many. We basically told them to fly a kite. The deal has been canceled.

The house appraisal had come in $34K below the asking price. The seller has now re-posted on Zillow and RAISED the price another $50K! Wow, kind of like a $800 used Spirit grill!!!🤪

We have sold our place here in Florida and need to be out in two weeks. We are having our furniture, etc. taken in "pods" to the company's warehouse in Indianapolis to be stored while my wife and I drive up and stay somewhere and start looking for a solution. Saddest thing is that since we may wind up renting an apartment or other place with no yard, essentially all my grill stuff and tools will have to stay here in Florida:cry:, at the little house I currently use as a shop, until Faith and I can find a place to buy. I can assure you that, if nothing else, I will be bringing the little Q100 I picked up recently, even if I can only grill with it at some park or whatever.

This is obviously a tough blow. I don't proselytize on this forum, but I will just say that I know we are doing what God wants us to do and that he has a plan for us. That plan doesn't include doing business with sellers like these, so I believe there is something better for us (although probably not a shop as nice🙁).

While I find their rendition a little bit irreverent, it does remind me sometimes a little bit of the Blues Brothers movie where Aykroyd and Belushi tell naysayers that "We can't fail. We're on a mission from God."🙏

Last edited:
Jon, it's admirable that you're able to remain on an even keel after a low blow like this, but I agree with J and think you should at least look into legal recourse. There's something hinky about the way this unfolded.

Im sorry to hear Jon.
I dont understand in this type economy where 20 plus millions lost jobs why prices are going up.
Hope that all will turn up well and something better will come along.
God be with you.

That sucks. Sounds like the sellers don't really want to sell. I've seen it before.

There's another house out there for you. That Q100 should be perfect. In fact I'm giving my Q1200 to our middle daughter to take back to college in August and it'll be good for her to use on her apartment patio. And those little grills pack a punch. You won't have any problems getting Maillard to join you for dinner. Lol

Sounds like some of the hardcore real estate stories I've heard of here in the SF Bay Area. It just goes to show there are jackholes everywhere. Let's hope something comes through for you, and soon.

Sorry to hear this Jon. Might be worth at least talking to an attorney, the threat of action may suffice.

I have to ask also..............has this seller been a FSBO all along? (For Sale By Owner) I can tell you as a former Realtor for 14 years I always steered my clients away from FSBOs as they're total pains in the a$$. Their houses have gold nails, are better than anyone else's, worth $20k above the market, and I could go on. They FSBO for basically 2 different reason. One, an unrealistic expectation of value or two, saving a commission. The thing is two people can't save the same money. So if as a buyer you're comparing a FSBO to one listed legitimately with a solid Realtor the FSBO should be priced at least 5% below anything else. I would truly try and have your real estate attorney try to sue them for specific performance. I don't know IN real estate law but I assume it's very close to IL law. If there was earnest money involved they at the least owe that back and MAYBE with penalties. If this truly falls on it's face for future deals leave FSBOs as they are. Not worth the time and trouble. The saying "an attorney who represents himself does no good" holds true for real estate deals as well. A good Realtor has a lot of training in home values, knows current real estate contract law (at least they should) and if ANY Realtor tells you don't bother with an attorney........................dump them like a hot potato. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a real estate attorney involved as soon as sigs go on a contract. Anything less can be costly if not in $$$$ in heartache as well

That’s really awful Jon! I’m so sorry to hear about that, it looked like a pretty cool property but, there are lots of places you will find a better place. God will provide.

Sorry to hear about the bad news Jon. Very unprofessional of the seller to break a signed and agreed upon contract. It all happens for a reason, eventually you'll end up in the house you were supposed to be in anyways.

Have you brought a good real estate attorney into this fray? Seems the seller can/should be sued for specific performance

This. If both of you have signed the last offer, in some jurisdictions, that's a binding contract, and a court can require the sale to proceed per contract. An IN real estate lawyer would be a really good idea, IMO.

Hey Everyone!
Thank you for your support and encouragement. It is absolutely true that my wife and I had ample grounds for a lawsuit, and our lender advised us (and the sellers) accordingly. However, the sellers are also the owner of additional property adjacent to what we would have been buying. I have no desire to be their neighbors, and can't imagine what it would be like if we were as the result of winning a lawsuit against them😒.

So it comes down to that the house had some nice features - and the nicest workshop of all the properties we looked at. However, I know that we started this journey not for getting a shop or change of scenery but to help two family members in a very hard situation. This turn of events is certainly a low blow and shocking to us. However, Faith and I are united in the belief that we are doing what God wants us to do. He will open doors for us, perhaps one we never even thought of. I am actually truly looking forward to going on a "Great Adventure" with my wife and to see what will happen!

I hired a couple teenagers to help me start consolidating my grill nightmares into a single half house where they can stay until we find a house - which could be after renting for months or even a year :cry: . It is now hot Florida summertime, but we made some good progress. I have so much stuff - including brand new parts I long forgot I had even ordered - that I had a few "Bruce" moments where I said, "I wonder what that even is....WHO CARES!!!":ROFLMAO:

IMG_4933.jpeg

I also tried to squeeze a little time in to help my friend as he has been re-roofing our - actually now his - house (he and his wife have already bought it from us). He is rolling along with the help of his lovely, yet willing to do hard work, teenage daughters:

IMG_4947.jpeg

Last edited:
Man roofing in FLA has gotta be hell on earth YIKES! Yeah it's too bad you can't lay down some Karma on those people. Hot blooded dago I am I would go in both barrels blazing. Hopefully Karma will come to them. There was a guy here selling something I can't recall what. But, he was asking a good/fair price not too low and not too high. Certainly a price if you wanted it you'd pay asking and feel good. Well apparently a few people offered asking, and so he backed it off and relisted it saying he wanted another $300 over what it was. At that point IMO he could just sit on it and twist.
I can certainly understand not wanting to be neighbors to butt wipes like those folks you dealt with.

Yeah, it was pretty hot up on that roof🌞🔥, and in another month it will be even more miserable. A couple times I knelt on the plywood after the shingles were torn off. The burning heat went right through my jeans😰.

It wasn't all that much fun moving grill stuff all over either! I am just glad I am blessed to have a place here to store it all. I just hope everything will fit!

Sounds like a mess of a situation for sure. But I've always believed (and have experienced) that when one door closes, another opens. I expect this will be a speed bump on your road to something much better.

Good neighbors are frequently under appreciated. If these are the games they're gonna play now, it's just going to get worse if you move in next door.

Looks like a nice setup. 20 or 30 years ago I would've moved to the country in a flash. But I don't have the energy to maintain an acreage today. Would love to have a bigger garden, however.

I'd also like to go outside on a summer night and see every star in the sky and not be blinded by city lights.

Mark Cuban says more people will move out of cities due to this pandemic. Find real social isolation. He may be right.
"I'd also like to go outside on a summer night and see every star in the sky and not be blinded by city lights".
That sounds wonderful! I'm in a Metro and always think about what I can't see.

Back