Which Grates for Vortex?

CPine

TVWBB Member
I have searched about this subject looking for ideas and I hope you all don't mind just sharing what you all have as far as grates for using the vortex. I will be using this in my SSP. I got the vortex cone for Christmas and now I need to get a grill grate to go with it. (What a bother! :) :) :) Being sarcastic ) . I think I want a grate that has the removable center and the flip up sides. I am interested in a cast iron one also but have just started the research. What do you all have and how do you like or not like it?

Chris

Just my opinion but i feel cast iron can be a hit/miss on charcoal depending on how you like your meat. It's probably great if you like charred/blackened meat and not so great if you prefer golden browned meat without burned bits.

I have the GBS with removable cast iron center and for a steak that is perfect! When I do wings or chicken parts, I leave the center out and cook around the periphery. I can’t speak to using Grill Grates with the vortex but, there are those who are reluctant to use aluminum with the high temps of straight grill temperatures, Vortex gets really screaming hot, I’ve been happy with the stainless GBS, both the SS center and the CI Insert. I’d recommend getting one! They make a cast iron griddle insert too for a “full crust”.

I use the grill you're talking about with the flip upsides and the removable section in the middle and then I bought a cast iron grate that fits in that hole in the middle so when I cook things like steaks or whatever I can get a nice crust.

I have the GBS with removable cast iron center and for a steak that is perfect! When I do wings or chicken parts, I leave the center out and cook around the periphery. I can’t speak to using Grill Grates with the vortex but, there are those who are reluctant to use aluminum with the high temps of straight grill temperatures, Vortex gets really screaming hot, I’ve been happy with the stainless GBS, both the SS center and the CI Insert. I’d recommend getting one! They make a cast iron griddle insert too for a “full crust”.
I do the same.
89033374-F967-4CBE-9F58-DE3C33E34134.png
ABDF7F25-D4A6-4041-827D-99FC30D238E1.png

Where did you get the stainless GBS? Isnt the Weber one plated steel?

Will regular plated steel grates rust faster if placed over the super high heat from a vortex?

I know it is a pricey and different direction, but I recommend the Killa Grilla grate, the price has increased since I purchased mine, but it is an incredible tool. I love that there are no loose or moving parts, but others here love theirs with the moveable sides. This grate is so thick it can take the heat of the vortex.
IMG_20221222_170740.jpg
IMG_20221203_164210.jpg
And produce grill marks like this!
IMG_20220203_174928829.jpg

Last edited:
I know it is a pricey and different direction, but I recommend the Killa Grilla grate, the price has increased since I purchased mine, but it is an increase tool. I love that there are no loose or moving parts, but others here love theirs with the moveable sides. This grate is so thick it can take the heat of the vortex.
View attachment 64515
View attachment 64516
And produce grill marks like this!
View attachment 64518
Solid advice on this from Mike - the grate material is just as important as the thickness. Killa grilla advertises 304SS which seems to be the preferred material for many pit masters... I upgraded to a 304SS grate for my vortex and it held up just fine.

Where did you get the stainless GBS? Isnt the Weber one plated steel?

Will regular plated steel grates rust faster if placed over the super high heat from a vortex?
It was a gift, I’m not sure where they got it. Likely Amazon. Either one will be fine, just take the center out if you’re not using it is my thought. I’ll be using that for some wings tonight!

Where did you get the stainless GBS? Isnt the Weber one plated steel?the

Yep; the Weber is plated steel and will rust if you do not take good care-of-it. A few years back I purchased the “SNS SS Easy Spin Grate” for my Weber Performer Deluxe and to this Date I remain one happy customer:)

Attachments

• 36A03D34-B1FF-48F1-B37A-39076588AFA9.jpeg
    36A03D34-B1FF-48F1-B37A-39076588AFA9.jpeg
    289.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Yep; the Weber is plated steel and will rust if you do not take good care-of-it. A few years back I purchased the “SNS SS Easy Spin Grate” for my Weber Performer Deluxe and to this Date I remain one happy customer:)
I can't seem to find the easy spin one with the removable center?

Last edited:
I can't seem to find the easy spin one with the removable center?
SNS Company does not make the Easy Spin with the removable Center but has the flip-up grate which sits above my SNS Plus and does not have the removable water holder. A few years back I also purchased their Outstanding SlowNSear Plus(now called SNS Deluxe) and their Drip in Griddle Pan which makes clean-up a breeze.

Thank everyone for your replies! Great stuff! I am leaning towards this one that I found on amazon. 304 stainless 5,5mm thick material removable center ...
CPine,
I don't think this looks like a bad option, one reviewer stated they got steel plated not Stainless Steel bars and sent it back. If you do purchase the one from Amazon I recommend doing the magnet test once it arrives. Nickel is magnetic, 304 SS is not, if it is magnetic I would worry it is not fully 304 SS and if it is not magnetic I think I you are good to go.
I think connected to your other post that Richard responded to, the SnS does not make a grate with a center cut out. There big product is the Slow n Sear so they have the big flip up section.
The big thing I want to say is if you get a 304 SS grate I think the grate will be able to handle the heat of the vortex, no problem, so at that point the removable center is preference based over nessassity for the vortex. If you want to get other center pieces, the CI center, use for a Wok, others that would make sense. If you go steel plated yes you need the removable center for the vortex.
As I started this post I don't think the one from Amazon is a bad option, just not a name I recognize. I will say from personal experience with purchasing a Slow n Sear and from watching all of Richard's great cooks I do trust the quality and products from Slow n Sear, and with the sale on the easy spin grate it is an option that I would highly recommend.

CPine,
I don't think this looks like a bad option, one reviewer stated they got steel plated not Stainless Steel bars and sent it back. If you do purchase the one from Amazon I recommend doing the magnet test once it arrives. Nickel is magnetic, 304 SS is not, if it is magnetic I would worry it is not fully 304 SS and if it is not magnetic I think I you are good to go.
I think connected to your other post that Richard responded to, the SnS does not make a grate with a center cut out. There big product is the Slow n Sear so they have the big flip up section.
The big thing I want to say is if you get a 304 SS grate I think the grate will be able to handle the heat of the vortex, no problem, so at that point the removable center is preference based over nessassity for the vortex. If you want to get other center pieces, the CI center, use for a Wok, others that would make sense. If you go steel plated yes you need the removable center for the vortex.
As I started this post I don't think the one from Amazon is a bad option, just not a name I recognize. I will say from personal experience with purchasing a Slow n Sear and from watching all of Richard's great cooks I do trust the quality and products from Slow n Sear, and with the sale on the easy spin grate it is an option that I would highly recommend.
Thank Michael Follow up question how often in a common use of the vortex do you all actually add charcoal after the initial fire up? I understand there may be times when you would need to do that but my guess is that would be not a lot of the time?

I usually drop the remnants of the last cook (baskets) in the bottom, fill a chimney FULL and light that while it sits in the Vortex, that will fill the thing completely and give the blast furnace heat that I want for wings. That reminds me…I’ve got to get the kettles set up for the evenings festivities!

Thank Michael Follow up question how often in a common use of the vortex do you all actually add charcoal after the initial fire up? I understand there may be times when you would need to do that but my guess is that would be not a lot of the time?
CPine,
I use the vortex a lot, lots of loaded kettles of wings, bone in skin on breast, thighs, and leg/thigh quarters, and flanken style beef ribs. Like Tim shared even with a mix of second use and new charcoal I have never had to reload charcoal in the vortex. I hope others chim in here, but that has just never been a concern I have experienced. Now if you are looking to do multiple rounds of wings one after another I think that may be something you want to think about that did not cross my mind.
Others have you had to reload charcoal?

Back