What's cooking this weekend?

Bob Erdman

TVWBB Pro
I'm making a full slab of pork spareribs tomorrow. I have baby backs nailed down on the SmokeFire. On the big slabs, not so much, yet. Too inconsistant, either not done enough or not enough fat rendered. Think I'm going to try the 3-2-1 method at 250. Smoke on!

Hi Bob, as I posted elsewhere, we actually know what we are doing this weekend :giggle:

Saturday we are having Tri-Tip with Avocado Sauce and Outback-Style Blue Cheese Wedge Salad and then on
Sunday we are having Slow-Grilled Tequila-Citrus Chicken Thighs, not sure yet about the sides. Both nights will be
from Weber's Charcoal Grilling (except the salad).

I'm making a full slab of pork spareribs tomorrow. I have baby backs nailed down on the SmokeFire. On the big slabs, not so much, yet. Too inconsistant, either not done enough or not enough fat rendered. Think I'm going to try the 3-2-1 method at 250. Smoke on!
No wrap @ 250F and spritzing every 30 to 45 minutes after the first 2 hours has worked really well for me, both on the pellet pooper and the kettle. When they've been on for 4 hours I start probing for tenderness and glaze when they're almost there. Not much different for baby backs, except they're usually done a bit quicker. With spares, I trim as needed to get a pretty consistent thickness and remove any excessive fat before they go on. Not much you can do about the fat around cartilage but chew around it.

I’m trying the last recipe posted from Weber, the first thing I noticed is that the “Paste“ needs to be doubled for good interior and exterior coverage. Smells pretty good!
Oops, I forgot, did 4 chicken leg quarters last night, old fashioned indirect, turned out quite well, baby potatoes with garlic chive butter and peas.

Last edited:
Ribs are done but my SmokeFire is out of commission. The dreaded E3 error code. One day before it's 3 month anniversary. Going to break it down tomorrow to see whats up. I saw a bunch of unburned pellets outside the burn pot when I took off the ribs. I think it shut down around the five hour mark. Ribs were perfectly done, a little bite and very juicy.

We had salmon on a cedar plank last night and I have chicken breasts marinating for chicken fajitas tonight.
Using the performer for both cooks.

Back