What's cooking this weekend?

OK so in just a few Oxtails will be getting a go on Member's Mark. Pretty well marbled so I will be using a drip pan as well

OK so I had a small pkg of the oxtails. Nice meaty ones. Smoked at around 220 for about 3.5 hours until internal of 155. Made a sauce in the shallow pressure cooker. Started a little EVOO, sliced onion, carrots, and a little tomato paste. Cooking that down until onions translucent. Added a tsp of Better than Bouillon beef stock, deglazed with a little red vermouth, red wine and touch of water to get volume up enough to pressure cook. Added some fresh parsley which is still growing out there in one of the wife's pots. Locked the lid let it come to pressure and gonna cook 30-40 minutes. We shall see
1702855577403.jpeg
1702855632710.jpeg

Well a verdict. The meat (what VERY little of it there was) was quite nice and very tasty. Smoke was very good and deeply flavored. The veg I placed in there I am sure flavored the beef somewhat and the sauce but re eating them........................meh. I think they picked up so much it would have been better had I simply blended all the veg matter into the sauce and done a separate roux and made a thicker actual "gravy". But, as large as these were, there was only a couple mouthfuls of actual meat.
So I think the method would have been better on perhaps some of those smaller shortribs you might find packaged in a grocery store. Or maybe with shanks instead.
Anyway there are seeds of ideas here. Not sure how far I will take the ideas, maybe someone else will want to pick up where I left off. But re oxtails I will only use them for soups from now on.

What is a pichana? I've never seen that type of cut,
labelled as beef loin top sirloin cap should be available at COSTCO generally sold packed in 2's see photo below taken from the web for example only what to look for . I bought a 2 pack from Costco this past summer and aged them another 2 weeks in the cryovac and did them on skewers leaving the fat cap on they came out fantastic very flavouful and more tender than I would have imagined almost the equivalent of filet .

Attachments

• picanha.jpg
    picanha.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Commonly found at Brazilian steakhouses on a spit. I usually slice and skewer then hang in my Oklahoma Joe Bronco but decided to try cooking as a roast this time. One of my favorite cuts of beef and usually fairly cheap per lb.

Back