What to expect from a used Gen2 Performer

A Lee

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm itching to pick up a used Gen2 Performer. The outside looks clean, but the seller didnt post any inside photos. Can someone comment on what parts would likely need repair/replacing on something this old? I'm obviously expecting the main grate to have some rust.

Last edited:
if it will be a keeper, then SS rod grates are the way to go.

Things to look for are:
- cracked table
- rust inside where the grates are held
- bent or rusted sweeps
- gas assist start not working
- cooking grate rusted out
- coal grate rusted out
- casters frozen

if it will be a keeper, then SS rod grates are the way to go.

Things to look for are:
- cracked table
- rust inside where the grates are held
- bent or rusted sweeps
- gas assist start not working
- cooking grate rusted out
- coal grate rusted out
- casters frozen

Are parts mostly interchangeable between current kettles and Performers? Are there any discontinued/hard to find replacements? The table looks to be in good shape. I don't see any rust on the frame. I hope the inside is just as good.

Go get it and figure out the details later! You can fix it up to your specifics.
I'm trying to...

Any idea how much one of these in reasonable condition is worth?

Looks like I have an appointment to pick it up :)

Also what tools would I need to take this apart in case it doesn't fit in my small SUV?

Last edited:
Best advice would be to ask for some photos from the seller.
From my experience, if the seller resists taking and sending pics to you, like it's some kind of hassle, then it is either in REALLY rough shape or it's a total scam.

So I ended up buying the Gen 2 Performer for $80 canadian dollars (approx $60usd).

It was located only 15minutes from work, and the lady agreed to meet me at the end of my work day. The reason she couldn't send me more photos is because she had moved after selling her house, and this was one of the last remaining items at the house that needed to be moved.

Anyway, back to the grill. It's a black 2008 vintage. Overall, it was in good condition for its age. She didn't have it covered, but it was stored under a covered patio its entire life. It was supposedly only used 1-2 times per year, and the condition seems to match the story.

The wheels look as if they havent rolled very far. The main grate had no rust, while the charcoal grate and baskets did have some. The inside still had ashes and crud, but it was far from being considered nasty. The sweeps didn't look rusted, but they were seized by the crud from the last cook. The ash catcher pan looked ok, but the handle had surface rust. The frame was in pretty good shape, but due to its age there was a tiny bit of surface rust under the table. The table looked pretty decent. It had a small scrach but no stains. The bottom wire rack wasnt rusty. Oh and the Touch and Go ignition worked on the first try.

Here's a photo from the ad. I'll have to take some more before/after shots once the weather improves. I expect this one to clean up very nicely.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221229_205640_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20221229_205640_Facebook.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Nice looking Gen 2 performer.

I would reinforce the front lip of the table. They are notorious for cracking.

I think a 2x2 glued across the front on the underside would help a lot. Cut notches in the wood to clear the plastic supports.

Looks like a good deal. Congrats!

Last edited:
Looks like a great deal to me! Get the sweeps working, throw a load of coal in and fire off a steak!
The heat and some drippings will help loosen the sweeps, just clean that out when you’re done.

That is a great grill. Clean it up,there is a how on here about that. Then as stated make sure the sweeps are working and fit the bowl tight. Check for any repairs to the frame. Replace any old,or worn parts, and then it is cooking and photo time.
Enjoy that grill and what it can do.

I really like ours the table is very convenient, and the gas assist is what got me back into charcoal.

Oh man. I'm sure the Performer will be great, but there are so many tempting deals right now. Local hardware stores currently have the Master Touch Kettle for $100 off. Is the current Master Touch scheduled to be replaced with a new updated model in 2023?

Last edited:
Congrats on a great find, you're going to love it. I have no idea about the 2023 Master Touch but I would love to have one whether I need one or not. $100 off would be hard for me to walk away from.

Congrats on a great find, you're going to love it. I have no idea about the 2023 Master Touch but I would love to have one whether I need one or not. $100 off would be hard for me to walk away from.

It was definitely hard to walk away from. Luckily, they didn't have any of the colored ones for that price.

Anyway, I started scraping the bowl down today. It turned out the gunk was mostly soft greasy film. No hard carbon deposits. The stuff scraped off in strips that looked like fruit roll-ups. I was also able to free up the sweeps using by using my torch to heat up the hardened grease. They were in good condition and did not have any surface rust.

Here's a couple shots. Btw, this is my first used weber I ever purchased, and also first 22" charcoal kettle.

Attachments

• 20221231_151842.jpg
    20221231_151842.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20221231_151951.jpg
    20221231_151951.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221231_153109.jpg
    20221231_153109.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Great job on the cleanup. Have any idea what your first cook will be? Oh, a couple of items that will make life easier, if you do not already have them. A Weber chimney charcoal starter and a pair of their charcoal baskets.
Happy cooking and Happy New Year.

Great job on the cleanup. Have any idea what your first cook will be? Oh, a couple of items that will make life easier, if you do not already have them. A Weber chimney charcoal starter and a pair of their charcoal baskets.
Happy cooking and Happy New Year.
Not sure yet. It'll probably be some rib eyes or rotisserie chicken.

I do have a weber chimney I bought about 5 years ago and only used once or twice. The Performer has the Touch N Go ignition, so I'm not sure if the chimney will see more usage. As for the charcoal baskets, this kettle came with a pair. I'll have to give them a try.

Last edited:

Back