What do you think of this.....

This is absolute crap.
Less of everything we all love is what is happening these days......closing down farms, chicken farms goin up in flames......I have been paying attention and it is a lot. The carbon foot print of eating beef is bad they tell you, we are all expected to eat less beef...this is pure propaganda to keep the lies going......and you found it on main stream media.....
Sorry for the rant......but it is the truth.
So just so you are aware, you are expected to eat less beef.......( note big changes for this year ) and eat more foods containing insects.
I cannot remember all the terms used now but the link below is a start down the rabbit hole.

PS. I eat almost all those cuts listed in the article......they are delicious.

I think the author might be trying to steer folks onto the VEGAN PATH!! But i could be wrong, or he just lost his job as a butcher...

I would probably avoid cube steak, and I've never seen blade steak or a denver steak but I have no malice towards the others.
When we were just starting out as a married couple many years ago, this was the only meat we could afford. It came packaged frozen, I think 4 steaks in a pack, with a pat of butter on top. We still eat them from time to time (fresh, not frozen these days) to stay humble. Breaded veal cutlets were also a staple in those days, and very hard to find today (Aldi's Finds is a good source when they have them).

I read that whole article, and to me it all boils down to how you cook them. Like anything else, any one of those meats can be turned into a delicious meal if they are prepared properly..

When we were just starting out as a married couple many years ago, this was the only meat we could afford. It came packaged frozen, I think 4 steaks in a pack, with a pat of butter on top. We still eat them from time to time (fresh, not frozen these days) to stay humble. Breaded veal cutlets were also a staple in those days, and very hard to find today (Aldi's Finds is a good source when they have them).

I read that whole article, and to me it all boils down to how you cook them. Like anything else, any one of those meats can be turned into a delicious meal if they are prepared properly..
Growing up, my family always had those frozen steaks with a pat of butter on them—I think they were called minute steaks. I have made cube steaks into chicken fried steak more than once.

Growing up, my family always had those frozen steaks with a pat of butter on them—I think they were called minute steaks. I have made cube steaks into chicken fried steak more than once.
The ones I remember were blade-tenderized and had a pattern of cuts in them. Add a couple of pieces of bread and you had a steak sandwich. My wife still buys the fresh ones for breakfast steaks and I think they are flavorful but they are sure hard to chew with these old teeth.

Chicken-fried steaks! I have had one of those in ages! I'm going to have to mention that to the menu planner. We both like eating these kinds of dishes that we ate when we didn't have a pot to p** in or a window to throw it out of. I am not kidding - my wife is always saying she wishes she had a good ol' 25 cent McDonald's hamburger. I think her memory is a little different than mine.

The ones I remember were blade-tenderized and had a pattern of cuts in them. Add a couple of pieces of bread and you had a steak sandwich. My wife still buys the fresh ones for breakfast steaks and I think they are flavorful but they are sure hard to chew with these old teeth.
Exactly the same ones we had growing up.

As a kid I remember having cube steak made into chicken fried steak and also breaded veal cutlets. My dad pranked us and called the breaded veal cutlets "Squid Steak". When we lived back east in the 60s these were common but after moving out to CA in the mid 70s I guess they were not readily available. It wasn't until I was an adult that I learned what "Squid Steak" really was. My Dad was surprised that I really did not know that it was really breaded veal cutlets. I guess when you learn something from Dad as a 6 year old, it becomes truth.

Lately "Cube Steak" is no longer a bargain and I can get other cuts for less so our bargain cuts tend to be pork or chicken.

I read that whole article, and to me it all boils down to how you cook them.

Maybe that's the problem that he's boiling his steaks.

These breaded veal cutlets we found at Aldi's are exactly as the ones I remember...packaged a little better, but otherwise identical. I think they were $9 for a pack of 9. We bought one box of them and when we went back they were no longer in stock. Next time we found them we bought 4 boxes.

We use a dipping sauce made up of Heinz ketchup, A1 Steak Sauce, and Lea & Perrins Worcestershire ("What's-that-there") Sauce.

Aldi's Breaded Veal.png

These breaded veal cutlets we found at Aldi's are exactly as the ones I remember...packaged a little better, but otherwise identical. I think they were $9 for a pack of 9. We bought one box of them and when we went back they were no longer in stock. Next time we found them we bought 4 boxes.

We use a dipping sauce made up of Heinz ketchup, A1 Steak Sauce, and Lea & Perrins Worcestershire ("What's-that-there") Sauce.

View attachment 85821
YES !!!

Squid Steaks

View attachment 85821
I’ve never seen these before now but I can tell by looking I would have enjoyed them.

Back