What are you cooking for Smoke Day?

I’m attempting my first packer brisket on WSM 18. Planning to go Texas style and any tips will be much appreciated.
Biggest tip is classic old timer…
“If you’re lookin, you ain’t cookin’!”
So, set up! Close up and let it ride!
How big? Start a lot earlier than you think and allow for a nice LONG 3-4 hour rest! Your patience will be rewarded.

I found a brisket flat in the freezer, so it's on the smoker now. Due to threat of rain I was in such a hurry that I didn't get any pics, other than this one of me carrying the brisket to the WSM. (I'm testing a prototype of a new security camera, so the manufacturer and model number have been crudely obliterated). The plan is to share it with my daughter's family as my combination birthday (74) and wedding anniversary (52) cookout. If it doesn't rain too hard.

Edit: some glitch with my ancient Stoker sent the cooking temperature up to 310 degrees. I hope I caught it in time. Dinner may be ready earlier than planned.
1000017825.jpg

Last edited:
Potjie tonight
Containing beef, onions, garlic, lemon grass, Makrut lime leaves, bay leave and a packet of a Thai spice mix
I'll start the fire in a little bit and then I decide what liquid to use. Beer, water or coconut milk
IMG_20240525_150539_658.jpg

5 racks of pork loin ribs using Chris's "Easy Ribs" method. 3 racks on the top rack of the WSM and 2 on the kettle. 😛

Started off giving some white cheddar a little bit of smoke.
Put the cheese on the lower rack over the water pan in foil boats with tails as I was starting my WSM.
Slid the cheese out of the side door after about 10 minutes by pulling them out by their tails.
Just long enough to see the cheese start to "sweat" but not melting all over.

20240525_094644.jpg

The main entrees were a small sirloin tip roast and a chuck roast on the top rack.
Both roasts had a simple salt* and pepper rub.
*half coarse sea salt and half Lawry's seasoned salt.

After smoking the roasts for a while, I pulled the tip roast and wrapped the chuck in butcher's paper.

20240525_132021.jpg

However, as I was adding some additional water to the water pan, the pan dropped onto the coals.
Not sure what happened, as I have never had the water pan drop like that before, so I wasn't expecting it.
I do plan to look into possibly shimming the water pan brackets further inward if necessary.

Long story short, I ended up finishing the chuck in the oven.

20240525_162925.jpg

Both roasts came out well, though I'll probably dial back the pepper next time around.

The first slices of my brisket were a little dry. I'm hoping the center will be more juicy. Tomorrow it will be reheated and served with corn on the cob, Cole slaw, baked beans, and cantaloupe, with cake for dessert.20240525_184929.jpg

Potjie tonight
Containing beef, onions, garlic, lemon grass, Makrut lime leaves, bay leave and a packet of a Thai spice mix
I'll start the fire in a little bit and then I decide what liquid to use. Beer, water or coconut milk
Hi Anne, looks awesome. You don't brown the beef? Everything goes in the pot and it all cooks together? I'm liking the set up you got going on there

WSM is ready to go. We are having small family group (~9). Bought 3 slabs of beef back ribs at Costco. Will be serving fruit salad and corn in the cob.
View attachment 91421
Unfortunately, we have had to move the rib cook to the WSK. We’ve added chocolate cake drizzled with ganache with mini chocolate chips. Preference was for watermelon fries vs. fruit salad. Less work for moi.

Back