What are you barbecuing on Smoke Day?

Unfortunately, I live in Northeastern NJ and the stores are empty. There is literally *no* meat, let alone much of anything else. I know I can order online but too much $$$. I made the pastrami recipe here for St. Pats day, but I think that's the last thing I'm going to be able to make for a while. :(

I have two racks of ribs, so that's probably what I'll be smoking. My choices are limited since I moved 6 months ago, and had to give up the 19-cubic-foot freezer I had for 40+ years. No more buying a case of butts when they are on sale. :cry:

Leaning toward a turkey seeing that May is about halfway from last Thanksgiving to next Thanksgiving and we love turkey. Spin it on the roti might be good.

I've got an SRF gold I bought a while back for a special occasion. Well, life is short. Time to fire that bad boy up!

There is literally *no* meat, let alone much of anything else.
Yeah, I selected brisket under the "BC" (before coronavirus) mindset that I could just trot out and get whatever I wanted for Smoke Day. :( So I will hope for brisket, but I do have a frozen turkey in the freezer, that will be my fallback position.

After reading this thread I did an inventory of my freezer. I have butts, ribs, chuck roasts and I forgot I also have a nice Sirloin Tip Roast.
I'm leaning towards the roast.

Tim

Hopefully, pork will be plentiful again. If so, 4 Butts.
Went to Harris Teeter at 6:00 am. They only had three bone in butts in the pork section. I asked the guy working in the meat section if they had any butts in the back. He sent a guy out with a huge box of butts. That’s the most enjoyable grocery shopping I’ve ever done!

pepper stout beef its been a while
Excellent idea Russ! It HAS been quite a while... but i think i'll go this route BEFORE SD16... i like to let it sit overnight and serve the next day...

Yeah, I selected brisket under the "BC" (before coronavirus) mindset that I could just trot out and get whatever I wanted for Smoke Day. :( So I will hope for brisket, but I do have a frozen turkey in the freezer, that will be my fallback position.
Stopped at Costco today for short ribs (OUT AGAIN :mad: ) but the had plenty of Prime briskets @ $3.49lb but NO SPARERIBS:mad::mad:

I was going to smoke the brisket in my freezer but I think it’s not gonna wait till them. So... I’m gonna have to figure out plan B

Our meat and poultry supply is presently A-OK here in the Country of Costa Rica and thinking of doing my first Hanging-RiB Technique on my WSM 18" Classic.

My traditional item of choice is a good old fashioned pork shoulder. I find myself doing more and more of these with kids running around now since they are so forgiving.

If I can't find one I'll probably do a turkey breast. Winn Dixie in my town has them on sale 99 cents a pound so I'll get 2 or 3 if I can find them.

I was leaning towards baby backs but the rest of my clan is requesting a repeat for a whole spatchcock chicken I smoked a few weeks ago.

A7237386-D94B-499C-BD97-D7F3607279CF.jpeg

49BD6FAE-F1BA-4B74-8E31-306F5F8AEC03.jpeg

it did turn out really good and I simply followed recipe in the beginner’s section of the forum.

We’ll see...

cheers,

T.

Hey friends,
I’ll go for ribs St. Louis cut this year, smoked with cherry wood, seasoned with magic dust and glazed with a self made cola based bbq sauce.
I just hope my T-shirt will arrive in time! :cool:

2018 I had babyback ribs because I can’t get a St. Louis cut.

2019 I had Pulled pork because I can’t get any ribs

2020 I am fu**** prepared and got my ribs already this week! :)

B2119900-5298-42DF-91E9-7A0B93585F0B.jpegB59ED741-B239-4FD3-8A39-21C8D82E0242.jpeg

Back