Weber Charcoal Discontinued

Unfortunately......before its even all lit in chimney...it disentagrates when poured onto grill grate. It completely falls apart. Shame. Something definitely wrong there.
That was my experience with the Jealous Devil Maxxx XL briquettes.

To each his own. Long ago, I realized it doesn't matter what KBB smells like when it lights, what matters is how food tastes after cooking, and for most of us, there's no negative impact on flavor. To be fair, it smells less today than 15 years ago because every time they've tweaked the formula over the years they keep replacing coal with more wood char.

With the way KBB didn't really go on super-sale this year at Lowe's or HD, that end of season deal at Costco for Kingsford Professional 36lbs for $14.99 is looking sweeter and sweeter. And it's just wood char + starch.

Some folks are gravitating towards Jealous Devil Maxxx XL Briquets. Online it's 20 lbs for $31.95! I wonder what people are paying for it at retail stores?
I picked up a bunch at Costco during that sale, haven’t gotten around to firing it up but it seemed like a good price considering the Holliday sales this year on KBB.

Before I got the Weber charcoal I used that Kingsford Professional from Costco in my smoker. I thought it was really good stuff seems to burn longer would just wait till they put it on sale and my wife would grab a few double bags.

KBB is garbage. It stinks to high heaven when lighting. I've got to come in and take a shower and change my clothes. I do not understsnd the love for it by some.
KBB has been my go-to charcoal for the last twenty(20) or so years because: consistent burn which produces even temperature, no foul oder, lights-up fast, cooked-meat tastes great, etc, etc, etc.;)

Last edited:
For me KBB is not good!! It smells bad when you ignite it and you can't add new KBB to an existing fire because of the nauseating smell. Also, it burns out to quickly necessitating more frequent trips to refuel the Q. It really takes the fun out of barbeque. I purchased 50 bags of Weber charcoal for $3.99/bag plus free shipping! Weber charcoal is superior to KBB in every way, especially burn time. And I'm able to add it to an existing fire without side effects. Due to KBB lack luster performance and high price, I have converted to lump charcoal and the remainder of my Weber. I will be putting my WSM 18/22 up for sale when my Weber charcoal supply is depleted and convert to Komodo Joe. Sorry, KBB is making me do this.
I can see why Weber is discontinuing their product as $ 1.00 per pound is a bit steep.

You know how there are some people called supertasters, people with a much higher sensitivity to taste than the rest of us? I think this concept extends to Kingsford Charcoal for some people. The vast majority of us that use it have no concerns, then there are a few for whom it is so repugnant that it causes them to switch to a different brand of cooker! That's a new one to me!

Chris, Hope is well in California. It is my desire to clarify a few items with you. First, I have been using KBB for about 50 years, and I observed with each iteration, they have made the briquette much smaller and the newest version does not perform as well as the older especially in terms of burn time.
It is when I tried my first bag of Weber charcoal that I decided to order more. As I see it, the Weber charcoal should be the reference standard. I agree with you when you stated "it is a good product and performed well vs KBB"Upgrading the cooker has nothing to do with repugnant smell, again it is due to KBB lackluster performance when tested alongside Weber. You even fortified my position when you purchased a bag for $22.00
In the old days, you could purchase 2-24-pound bags for $7.95, then 2-20 pound bags for $8.95, now it is 18 and a half and 16 and a half, higher price and lower quality! Also, it is no longer on sale when it should be.
I have, in due respect, a different viewpoint in that I see a future were lump charcoal will be king since it will be much more plentiful and lower price point. The price of ceramic has come down a lot and I observed more and more ceramic on the barbecue circuit.
If one wants to stick with Weber, they have you covered with the charcoal Summit which as I see it is very well made and works great. There was a guy on YouTube that achieved a full steady 24-hour burn. As for myself, I choose not to shell out 2 G notes.
The WSM is great, and I believe if Weber still made their great charcoal, I would stick with the WSM.I'm fully aware people like Harry Soo win contest with the Weber. As you stated early on, "to each his own" and I agree. Also, factor in I'm older now and wish to keep it simple, get rid of the water pan, blower motor, and blanket. Thanks for letting me chime in, be well.

A few comments/reactions...
I observed with each iteration, they have made the briquette much smaller and the newest version does not perform as well as the older especially in terms of burn time.
That is a true statement.
Upgrading the cooker has nothing to do with repugnant smell, again it is due to KBB lackluster performance when tested alongside Weber.
Rather than switch cookers, I'm sure there's another brand of charcoal that would satisfy your needs in the WSM. Perhaps members here will chime-in with their suggestions.
You even fortified my position when you purchased a bag for $22.00
I bought that bag of charcoal to replicate a cooking method I learned from Weber grillmaster Kevin Kolman in which he lays a split post oak log in the charcoal chamber and buries it in Weber briquettes. I didn't buy it for regular use. The only other bag of Weber charcoal I had was the free sample Weber sent me that I featured in the burn test. I didn't use it for barbecue, I burned the remainder of it in my Summit charcoal for grilling.
As you stated early on, "to each his own" and I agree. Also, factor in I'm older now and wish to keep it simple, get rid of the water pan, blower motor, and blanket. Thanks for letting me chime in, be well.
Amen to all of that! Keep on cookin'! I just hope there's a way to keep you in the WSM family and out of the kamado family. :)

Ha, I have plenty of Weber charcoal left to keep me out of the K camp. Harry Soo is using Jealous Devil, so I have time to experiment.
I remember a long time ago I came to this site and several people were trying to figure out, should I purchase the 181/2 or 221/2 WSM!?
So, I purchased one of each and I made the purchase such that you made some money. I even purchased the original Weber meat hangers
for the 181/2. BTW.
I'm sad to see the Weber charcoal going away! IMHO, I found it to be long steady burning and nice aroma very woodsy. I used it in my kettle, and it burned so long, I found myself closing the damper and saving it for the next Q.In the kettle I use Lazzari lump.FYI about a week ago I went into Bev Mo and purchased a 40 Lb bag of Lazzari for $29.00 plus tax. I drove into Nevada and found the same 40lb bag for $19.00 so I cleared their shelf.
I can testify that Lazzari is great with steak,chops,and chicken. I do not sauce the chicken, I let that wood flavor do its thing. It is perfect in the kettle since it is not what I would classify as long burning.
Best Regards, Michael

To each his own. Long ago, I realized it doesn't matter what KBB smells like when it lights, what matters is how food tastes after cooking, and for most of us, there's no negative impact on flavor. To be fair, it smells less today than 15 years ago because every time they've tweaked the formula over the years they keep replacing coal with more wood char.

With the way KBB didn't really go on super-sale this year at Lowe's or HD, that end of season deal at Costco for Kingsford Professional 36lbs for $14.99 is looking sweeter and sweeter. And it's just wood char + starch.

Some folks are gravitating towards Jealous Devil Maxxx XL Briquets. Online it's 20 lbs for $31.95! I wonder what people are paying for it at retail stores?

That's exactly why I stocked up with K-Pro during the end of season sale @ Costco & didn't bother with the KBB sale @ Lowes.

I did grab 3 bags of the Ridge Charcoal. @ Lowes during the end of season sale since that works well for Low & Slow in the WSM.

Right now I'm using up the the last 18lb twin pack of Royal Oak Premium Charcoal that I bought when Wal Mart had that $8.88 sale last year during Memorial Day Weekend. It does work well for HH cooks that don't take a lot of time.

Over on the BBQ Brethren they are reporting that Weber Charcoal has been discontinued. They have supposedly confirmed this with the CEO's assistant and have started an e-mail campaign trying to get them to change their minds. Reports are the CEO's assistant is upset about it too because she thinks it's the best charcoal on the market and uses it personally, so she's collecting e-mails and forwarding them on to her boss.

I just finally got a few bags to try and used it for the first time last night before I even saw the news. I was actually impressed with the charcoal and thought it seemed to burn hotter and cleaner than KBB.

I apologize if this is old news or posted in the wrong section. I tried searching, but terms like Weber and charcoal seem to catch a few just a few results here ;)

Hasn't the "Weber charcoal is being discontinued" rumors been floating around for years now?
Weber is in the business to make money, I don't understand why they would stop making a quality product.

I do understand them releasing limited edition kettles and selling for a short period, but don't understand why they would stop selling charcoal. Maybe its not a good money maker for them...

It is probably tough to compete with the larger companies that focus only or mainly on grilling coal.

For me KBB is not good!! It smells bad when you ignite it and you can't add new KBB to an existing fire because of the nauseating smell. Also, it burns out to quickly necessitating more frequent trips to refuel the Q. It really takes the fun out of barbeque. I purchased 50 bags of Weber charcoal for $3.99/bag plus free shipping! Weber charcoal is superior to KBB in every way, especially burn time. And I'm able to add it to an existing fire without side effects. Due to KBB lack luster performance and high price, I have converted to lump charcoal and the remainder of my Weber. I will be putting my WSM 18/22 up for sale when my Weber charcoal supply is depleted and convert to Komodo Joe. Sorry, KBB is making me do this.
I can see why Weber is discontinuing their product as $ 1.00 per pound is a bit steep.
Would be funny to find out that kingsford made Weber charcoal

Weber is in the business to make money, I don't understand why they would stop making a quality product.

Making a quality product does not equate to making money on that product, unfortunately. And, as others have noted, I'd be willing to bet that Weber has outsourced their charcoal, with a set of specs.

Making a quality product does not equate to making money on that product, unfortunately. And, as others have noted, I'd be willing to bet that Weber has outsourced their charcoal, with a set of specs.
No unfortunately it does not equate to making money.

Weber outsourced that charcoal here is a thread discussing who may have made it but the bag says manufactured for Weber. If you read that crazy thread at another site up top its mentioned there also, someone who was grilling in competition using the Weber charcoal had a RO rep stop by and tell them they made that for Weber. Then someone a few posts later said they did not believe RO made it because they had ridges and no plastic lined bag well not sure what difference that would make Weber gave them a spec.

They thought Jealous devil made it since they have a plastic bag and a large briquet product talk about pricey at 35 bucks a pop by the way I do not believe that Jealous devil would do that by the way make charcoal for a brand name like Weber and then under cut what you sold your stuff for makes no sense, on the other hand RO would make a lot of sense but who knows.

Last edited:
There are times that an OEM relationship is very highly protected, generally to prevent a customer from going directly to the manufacturer for pretty much any reason.

I used to work for USRobotics (20 years ago,) who sold modems both under the USRobotics name as well as nearly identical modems (different label, maybe slightly different firmware,) to PC vendors. It was nearly a firing offense for a USR employee to talk to an end user who had an OEM modem with a problem, customer service would inform the end user that they had to call the other vendor.

Received an additional confirmation of this sad news today from TVWB Facebook friend Jerry Newman:

-----

Asked Weber about Weber Charcoal and finally got the sad answer:
Giovanna H (Weber Grills)

Sep 23, 2020, 22:50 GMT+8
Hi Jerry,

We apologize for the delayed response. We are experiencing higher than normal contacts from our grilling community as many more people are using their grills and enjoying at-home dining. While you may experience longer response times, please know that our highest priority remains supporting our customers and communities. We appreciate your patience and we are dedicated to helping you as quickly as possible.

Weber charcoal is being discontinued unfortunately. Royal oak is very comparable. We apologize for your disappointment.

Thank you,
Giovanna H
Weber Consumer Care Team
Weber-Stephen Products LLC

Back