We can blame it on the pellet grills

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
This says the demand for brisket is driving up the price, due to the ease of using pellet grills.

ok o_O

I would think the proliferation of Texas style barbecue joints may have a larger impact. Or restaurants and fast food places trying to serve brisket.

But the people quoted in this article, would know where the demand is coming from, and evidently its a bunch of backyard barbecue guys on their pellet grills :) Pellet grills are just too darn easy.

Why brisket is more expensive than ever
Demand for brisket is on fire—whether it's at Maddon's Post in Chicago or in a backyard near you. Here's why.

Last edited:
One store here, Fresh Thyme, has fresh wings for $2.29/lb.
Another has a 3 lb. bag of frozen wings for $5.99.
Most other stores are trying to sell them already cooked.

Gee, thanks for the heads up about “Fresh Thyme” I will have to go see if that deal is store wide or independently available!

Safeway had whole chickens for $.79 lb. I would have bought a couple but I've got so much sale chicken in the freezer now I'm waiting for the freezer to lay an egg.

Just had to drive my 22 year old Jeep a bit and stopped at Costco on the way back, frozen first and second sections $2.09/lb. ten pound bag, frozen. Now my freezer is ready to start laying too Rich!

You had to tell me that Tim, not more than an hour ago I drove right past Costco on my way to Trader Joes. Never entered my mind to go there and I think it was Bob C that brought that up to me awhile back about the wings.
I couldn't stop there anyway, I didn't have Barb with me, I'm not allowed to go into Costco solo.:(

You had to tell me that Tim, not more than an hour ago I drove right past Costco on my way to Trader Joes. Never entered my mind to go there and I think it was Bob C that brought that up to me awhile back about the wings.
I couldn't stop there anyway, I didn't have Barb with me, I'm not allowed to go into Costco solo.:(

Where I buy them all the time good price always pick some drumsticks up also. Its a bulk buy but they are in individual packages that you cut with a scissors. Think there are around 12 wings to a pack which is a multi pack and 5 drumsticks to a pack package of 20 I think forgot how many wings there are. Great quality also.

Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post
... I'm not allowed to go into Costco solo.
Glad to know I'm not the only one suffering under such draconian rules!

So there are three of us.

That is to funny unfortunately there is a new one they built like 8 miles away so gas up there and of course you need to go in and look around not sure on the low end ever got out less than $100 out of my wallet. Whats worse is my wife generally does the shopping there so when I go on my own its a big tab for that month.

I generally get the wings, the st louis ribs and addicted to those $16 bags of pistachios.

I hit Costco several times a year, it's pretty convenient for me on the way home, especially with the new one that opened up a couple of months ago. However, as a general rule, I have to go in with a list, otherwise I'll end up spending way more than I'd intended.

Costcos on my way home
Being blunt....their bulk prices arent always that good.
Im not buying a 24 case of paper towels to save $2. If it were $10...hell yes. Many bulk items savings are marginal...if at all. $1 or so....whats the point?

My standard purchases there..pineapples and brisket and pork belly. they have good prices on huge pineapples. Good selection and price on brisket, and about only place to find bellys.

My local grocery store has better prices on ribs every friday ($2.49/lb) and butts and loin. Walmart has better prices on apples, and good price on local strawberries in season.

I dont buy all their premade meals, they dont carry pet foods i use. For the most part its a hodgepodge of unrelated crap scattered around a big room. If someones an impulse buyer, they might like it.

Last edited:

Back