Vortex for kettles

Might want to re-check that: (page 68 on the below PDF file)

http://www.ups.com/media/en/daily_rates.pdf

Using 10LBS rates start at $8.54 to a high of $10.53 and to get to $10.53, you have to go several zone to do so

I had to look up "skullduggery" it's not my intention of accusing them of "underhanded or unscrupulous behavior; trickery" my complaint is how something goes from $40 to $54 However, in the spirit...I'll just say they can do better on shipping (based on the UPS chart above, which can be beat if you're a company and sign a agreement with UPS) Where I work I can send a 10LBS package 3 zones for < $5

my UPS rates have really gone up! 10 years ago they were ~<$4 across town, now it's pretty much $6.83 minimum (across town the state).... across the US is ~$9-$11.x

Add in 'Residential', that can add $2-$3.00 sometimes.

I know what you can do - tell them you refuse to pay their ridiculous shipping fee but you'll meet them in the middle and you'll pay $49 + $6!

Or maybe you could even email them a shipping label.

UPS gives companies that do business of shipping . They gives lower rates for business , so can't understand them charging customers more when they can ship with the discount rate . thats why most business ship quantity and better rates
jerry

Bulldog-With-Headache.preview.jpg

I don't want to debate the prices of shipping vs the cost to fab a stainless steel conical ring, but can anyone really explain to me if the Vortex is any different than what I'm already using?

IMG_4584.jpg

IMG_4581.jpg

IMG_4578.jpg

IMG_5596.jpg

Granted my examples aren't as sleek as the Vortex, and if the only argument is that its conical shaped and reversible or a solid sheet of steel then I must be missing something? Or maybe I should investigate what the Kamado users are saying about it?

Let me have it-I'm genuinely interested.

Looks like some pretty interesting accessories Brian. I've often thought a modified chimney starter could do a similar job. Your adaptations are pretty close to that approach. ...shipping not included. ;)

I had the same question as Brian Moriarty. I made a lump basket using expanded metal. It's not as fancy as Brian's examples, but it does the trick. I like that my lump stays together in the basket and it's a great form for a ring of fire for longer cooks. The Vortex is a sold piece and I wondering how that affected airflow (restrictive for lump), but it really directs the heat instead of in the baskets it just centers it. I hope some Vortex owners chime in ;)

Just a thought, how many of you have ordered a Cajun Bandit Door for your WSM. Mine just came in yesterday and if I remember correctly, the shipping was about $20.00. Haven't heard anyone complaining about that have I!! I pay extra to Amazon every year for Amazon Prime to get free shipping and second day air. If I order enough it is a bargain but if I don't, it is a break even thing. I don't hear anyone complaining about that do I. So come on guys and quit complaining and talk about the product and its merits or the lack there of. To me the science looks right so I will probably order one. I will not be happy about the shipping but then again, I wasn't happy about the shipping for my Cajun Bandit door. I bought it because I wanted it and was willing to pay the freight.

Remember something, THIS SITE IS ABOUT THE WEBER PRODUCTS AND ASSOCIATED PRODUCTS AND HOW WE USE THEM. PLEASE CAN WE ALL BE FRIENDLY AND STOP SOME OF THE NAME CALLING. DOES CHRIS HAVE TO GE INTO THIS LIKE HE DID IN ANOTHER THREAD THE OTHER DAY. IF THIS KEEPS UP, IT WILL STOP BEING FUN FOR CHRIS AND FOR THE REST OF US. TO QUOTE ONE OF MY ADULT DAUGHTERS, "GET A LIFE".

As another point, the internet age has forced all of us to pay shipping on more products than we did ten or more years ago. Do we like it, NO. But it is a fact of life NOW!!

Sorry for yelling, but I am getting tired of seeing this kind of complaining on this site. I come here because it is fun and is a distraction from everyday life and I want it to stay that way. I own a business and am not happy what the internet has done to prices and shipping but it is a fact of life. Don't cause people to leave this wonderful site because you want to just complain.

Bob Ivey

Just a thought, how many of you have ordered a Cajun Bandit Door for your WSM. Mine just came in yesterday and if I remember correctly, the shipping was about $20.00. Haven't heard anyone complaining about that have I!! I pay extra to Amazon every year for Amazon Prime to get free shipping and second day air. If I order enough it is a bargain but if I don't, it is a break even thing. I don't hear anyone complaining about that do I. So come on guys and quit complaining and talk about the product and its merits or the lack there of. To me the science looks right so I will probably order one. I will not be happy about the shipping but then again, I wasn't happy about the shipping for my Cajun Bandit door. I bought it because I wanted it and was willing to pay the freight.

Remember something, THIS SITE IS ABOUT THE WEBER PRODUCTS AND ASSOCIATED PRODUCTS AND HOW WE USE THEM. PLEASE CAN WE ALL BE FRIENDLY AND STOP SOME OF THE NAME CALLING. DOES CHRIS HAVE TO GE INTO THIS LIKE HE DID IN ANOTHER THREAD THE OTHER DAY. IF THIS KEEPS UP, IT WILL STOP BEING FUN FOR CHRIS AND FOR THE REST OF US. TO QUOTE ONE OF MY ADULT DAUGHTERS, "GET A LIFE".

As another point, the internet age has forced all of us to pay shipping on more products than we did ten or more years ago. Do we like it, NO. But it is a fact of life NOW!!

Sorry for yelling, but I am getting tired of seeing this kind of complaining on this site. I come here because it is fun and is a distraction from everyday life and I want it to stay that way. I own a business and am not happy what the internet has done to prices and shipping but it is a fact of life. Don't cause people to leave this wonderful site because you want to just complain.

Bob Ivey

hear hear - Well said Bob...

You guys should spend some time checking out some other forums. I discovered the Vortex over on Smoked-Meat Forum and I'm so happy that I did. That thing has totally transformed the way I cook with my kettle. I pretty much use it for everything from grilling to smoking. For those wondering, yes the shape does make a difference in how the heat is dispersed. I've probably convinced at least a dozen of my friends to buy Weber Kettle grills to use with the Vortex. They previously saw the old kettle as just that, but the Vortex has allowed them to do some amazing food.

No affiliation with the sellers or creaters, however I do love my kettle and this accessory does give it another dimension.

Last edited:
I made one almost identical to the vortex by cutting the bottom off an old stainless beer fermenter. Works great and I use it almost every time I fire up my kettle. I like the fact I can put it narrow side up and fill it with charcoal creating nice even indirect heat with the lid on, I just arrange my meat along the perimeter, or anywhere not directly over the vortex opening. Then when its almost done Ill put it right over the opening for a nice reverse sear. Its also handy for roasting green chiles or corn. I havent really turned it over to smoke with yet because Ill use the PBC or WSM for that. I love it.;)

I like the idea, but was wondering if you couldn't create your own by cutting the bottom out of a stainless steel bowl?
Thanks,
Tim

I like the idea, but was wondering if you couldn't create your own by cutting the bottom out of a stainless steel bowl?
Thanks, Tim
I cut the bottom out of two SS bowls and then used SS nut and screws to hold them together at the bottom of each, meeting in the middle. Works so so, at best. I did two 6" bowls, I've thought about getting a 8" bowl and attaching it to one of the 6" and just maybe that will create the "vortex" affect....?

I could see a single stainless bowl working well. Why did you put two together? Im picturing an hour glass type shape? Seems like two would defeat the purpose.

I could see a single stainless bowl working well. Why did you put two together? Im picturing an hour glass type shape? Seems like two would defeat the purpose.
Yes, it's connected bottom to bottom. The whole principle of a "vortex" to restrict (the squeeze) and then expand. It's normally found in moving liquids although the concept goes across all across the board. I remember back in 80's there was a vortex component for the PC (goes back to the 286's) the idea was to squeeze the data and then expand it for faster processing. That was a stretch if ever there was one, LOL

For those of you with a vortex, what size did you get? It looks like there is a S/M/L. What size works best on a 22"? It looks like both the S and M fit.

Back