Vortex for kettles

I just got one of these myself. I bough the medium size. It fits perfectly under the cooking grate. It might just barely touch the bottom of the grate. There is no way you could use it in a smaller grill but I really like it for my 22. I have done wings with it and loved how they came out. I tried the beer can chicken setting it down in the vortex with the coals around it but didn't like that as much. I might try that again but put the actual cooking grate in and put the chicken up on top of the grate.

I decided to get one. I've used it for beer can chicken and it worked absolutely great....was really one of the best chickens I've ever made. Now trying as a smoker using the snake method. Holding firm at 250 smoking a small butt. So far I'm impressed.

OK, so being the putzer that I am. I decided to make my own Hillbilly vortex out of a stainless steel conical steam table insert that I picked up from the Business Costco for under $10. I was able to make 2 Vortexes - using a cutoff wheel (one for the 22" and one for the 18" kettles. I did a few test cooks with them and they work fantastic as described.

If anyone has any doubts about the real deal, I think it would make an ideal addition to any kettle (and BPS Drum Smoker). I'd like one for my 26.75" OTG!

Here is a link to my Left Hand Smoke fb page on the build and cooks.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.807036462710837.1073741844.116187658462391&type=3

Help Please.

Can anyone who owns the medium size vortex put up the dimensions please?

OD of large opening.
OD of small opening.
Height.

Many thanks.

The Vortex is a stainless steel cone that is about 5" in height, 8" in diameter on one side, and 12" in diameter on the other.

Thanks Oleg.
Managed to find a supplier in Europe & got one delivered. Will be trying it out next weekend.

I have one like it very much .If you like chicken wings , get one for them alone. Crispy skin every time. Really concentrates the heat.

Used mine for the first time on Sunday to cook a mess of wings on my Gold kettle. Worked like a charm and made some fabulous wings without deep frying them. Crispy skin and much lighter than the fried version, plus the clean up is a breeze.

I'll never deep fry wings again.

Back