TVWGG Hot Dog Taste-Off

When my sons were little, 20 years or so ago, my mom and dad would take them to chick- fill-a for lunch.

The premiums that came with the kid’s meals were interesting.

I remember cassette tapes I could play in my truck and also comic books- kind of reminded me of the old Davy and Goliath tv shows.

Not sure if they are still doing that.

The restaurants are closed on Sunday though.

two "fast foods" near me that almost always have a line of cars are Chick-fil-A and in-and-out.

I don't eat at either often but have always had good food at both
Chick-fil-A is universally liked. It's good and the service standards are excellent.

As a cheese head we know a thing or two about Brats.
Best brat in WI are the fresh brats from the Elegant Farmer in Mukwango.
Best "fully cooked" ( burn-n-serve ) are Vollwerth. I like the cheese and smoked, but the "plain" is good too.
As for hot dogs, I like what used to be "Bucky" brand, but now are "W" ( possibly Wisconsin ) brand?

When my sons were little, 20 years or so ago, my mom and dad would take them to chick- fill-a for lunch.

The premiums that came with the kid’s meals were interesting.

I remember cassette tapes I could play in my truck and also comic books- kind of reminded me of the old Davy and Goliath tv shows.

Not sure if they are still doing that.

The restaurants are closed on Sunday though.
They are closed on Sunday because many of the companies core values come from their founder who was a firm believer in Christian religious beliefs.

They are closed on Sunday because many of the companies core values come from their founder who was a firm believer in Christian religious beliefs.
I did know about that.

The kids meal premiums were non denominational from what I remember.

Mutt Lynches....haha...was there few times by choice...solo and later on took my wife and kids there awhile back. One of my better business trip finds.
Glad you liked Mutt's, they just remodeled it a few months back...You have to try the deep fried pickles....and chicken wings...
Ok back to the regular post....

Unlike those heathens at In-N-Out Burger who are also firm believers but open on Sundays. ;) I'm just teasing, I like and patronize both places, and the financial results of both chains prove that both approaches work.

Unlike those heathens at In-N-Out Burger who are also firm believers but open on Sundays. ;) I'm just teasing, I like and patronize both places, and the financial results of both chains prove that both approaches work.
Not to forget, I believe both entities are structured with the IRS as 501(c)3 corp, non-profit for tax purposes.

Not to forget, I believe both entities are structured with the IRS as 501(c)3 corp, non-profit for tax purposes.

IN N OUT Foundation is 501c3.

In N Out is a privately owned corporation held by the founding family's heirs.

The In-N-Out Burger Foundation, a child abuse victims charity, and Slave 2 Nothing, a substance abuse and human trafficking charity, are both registered 501(c)3 charities. The In-N-Out Burger restaurant business is privately owned by Lynsi Snyder and is not a charity.

Same for Chick-fil-A. It's privately owned by brothers Dan and Don Cathy and not a charity. They operate one or more charitable foundations that are registered 501(c)3.

It would take somebody much more knowledgeable about accounting to explain how money from privately held family corporations flows into charitable foundations and what, if any, tax advantages they provide. And that's also a discussion far afield from my original post about my hot dog taste test. You know a thread has run its course when it starts with hot dogs and ends with taxes. :)

My grown son still likes the Der Weiner Schnitzel original chili hot dogs. :) I also prefer the original over the all beef dogs.
That’s my brother’s favorite hot dog, too. He moved to the Houston area so he couldn’t get them. Once, when we went to Mesa to visit my Mom, I watched him eat six of them.

These dogs from WFF, are very similar to Nathan's. I try to keep it simple with the toppings, not to mention no ketchup on the dog or in the fridge allowed....

Attachments

• IMG_5238.jpg
    IMG_5238.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5240.jpg
    IMG_5240.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 3
Chick-fil-A is universally liked. It's good and the service standards are excellent.
Chick filet did it self a disservice with only having Mall locations for decades. The standalone locations do incredible lunch business..... Double drive through lanes and the lines wrap around the buildings too.

But back to service, Chick-fil-A hires intelligent high school kids.... Everybody that works there seems to be intelligent, polite, clean, neat appearance, well spoken and hard work ing. They simply have managers that care and they hire students that are good workers... And have plenty of them. My understanding is good students want to work there because of the kind of place it is.

It's a night and day difference from the employees you see at McDonald's or other places. Those other places hire the worst people possible usually.

Last edited:
Chick filet did it self a disservice with only having Mall locations for decades. The standalone locations do incredible lunch business..... Double drive through lanes and the lines wrap around the buildings too.

But back to service, Chick-fil-A hires intelligent high school kids.... Everybody that works there seems to be intelligent, polite, well spoken and hard work ing.

It's a night and day difference from the employees you see at McDonald's or other places. Those other places hire the worst people possible usually.
Their standards are definitely higher. They all respond with "my pleasure" when given a thank you. And you're correct, the free standing ones are packed but lines move quickly and efficiently.

Given all the varied toppings, I wonder how well would Phillippe's Hot Mustard work on Hot Dogs.... ?

Back