Tri tip

Barb and I love Tri Tip. When we first moved here 20 years ago, I could get TT in the marked down dog food section of the meat dept almost every time we went to the store. Nobody knew what it was or what to do with it. Then........The Californians started baling out of California and now you're lucky to find any. Costco is about the only place that has it regularly.
As you can see there is lots of ways to prepare it, but like said above you don't want it too rare.

So much info.....
I appreciate the advice from all of you.
Brett makes me rethink the low n slow process but the above pics look like it will come out okay....
What I do know is I have to get home and possibly trim it up a bit and get my spice on as fast as I can.
I can get a few hours in before I have to get it on the grill.
Might just pretend it is a picanha and use very similar methods......I can get a nice 300 degree going and just do my best to get an even cook and build up a great exterior......Im just saying everything I can think of now...must be confused. ;)

it's a roast that cooks like a steak and slices like a roast.

medium high heat, direct over coals. flip every 6 mins until 130F internal, tent with foil and rest for 10 minutes.

traditional Santa Maria seasoning:

Ingredients​

• 1 (2 1/2 to 4 pound) tri-tip
Santa Maria Rub (enough for a 4 pound roast)
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon finely ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (or fresh, finely minced)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried sage

rub and let rest for 4 hours, then grill as above
I think that I will follow your advice and give it a good spice Brett.....your advice on the rub seems pretty common among on line blogger people.
Still not certain on the cook, what I do know is I don't want a wet feeling exterior...

Still not certain on the cook, what I do know is I don't want a wet feeling exterior...

The reverse sear won't leave a wet feeling exterior. Have a virtual taste of the one below. This did not have fat cap. Internal temp was 124F when I pulled it, tented it to rest for about 15 mins while I removed the BGE deflector, swapped in the drop in sear grate and stoked the coals.

I flipped it every 30 seconds until it had nice char color. Had a nice yet mild crust. I could have seared it more and added more crust but the kid's don't care the char.

IMO a slow smoke to a set IT, then a reverse sear makes it pretty much fool proof.

If it is too rare, it will be chewy as noted by several. I have made this mistake having it too rare. One time from smoking at my house and taking to a friends for the sear. I pulled it at 120F IT, and it rested for about 45 mins before getting seared on a gas grill. Someone above mentioned bringing up the IT before resting and I've done that since.

Anyway, the sear needs HOT coals. this is JD lump with less than an inch from coals to meat. note: I cooked this before I bought the E6. I think the E6 will be less work not having to shuffle grates around.

20220507_192144.jpg
20220507_194523.jpg

Last edited:
This look delicious, I read your thread you linked me to......slow cook if I remember right, I will read it again, these are the same pics right?
I like the idea of a fat layer, yours looks slim to none and if Brett's call on leaving the fat and going slow isn't a good idea I may trim it.. I trim my picanha to no fat at all and it comes out great on the exterior.

The reverse sear won't leave a wet feeling exterior. Have a virtual taste of the one below. This did not have fat cap. Internal temp was 124F when I pulled it, tented it to rest for about 15 mins while I removed the BGE deflector, swapped in the drop in sear grate and stoked the coals.

I flipped it every 30 seconds until it had nice char color. Had a nice yet mild crust. I could have seared it more and added more crust but the kid's don't care the char.

IMO a slow smoke to a set IT, then a reverse sear makes it pretty much fool proof.

If it is too rare, it will be chewy as noted by several. I have made this mistake having it too rare. One time from smoking at my house and taking to a friends for the sear. I pulled it at 120F IT, and it rested for about 45 mins before getting seared on a gas grill. Someone above mentioned bringing up the IT before resting and I've done that since.

Anyway, the sear needs HOT coals. this is JD lump with less than an inch from coals to meat. note: I cooked this before I bought the E6. I think the E6 will be less work not having to shuffle grates around.

View attachment 52547
View attachment 52548
question, is that the usual TT dry rub pre smoke?

i am only speaking from my TT cooks, that a heavier exterior rub and dry brined time will produce a barkier outside on the TT as shown in the pic I googled and shared.

when i live in Paso Robles for 2 months, i discovered TT for the first time (1994) as i was still quite new to CA. it was THAT crust that made it for me, taste and texture wise. sliced up TT on a baguette type bread and i was in heaven. i only recco the crust method if someone wants to experience a traditional TT.

i also wet brine TT in a very light dusting of Montreal and Zinfandel wine, overnight. and then do the same direct over coals hot cook, 6 mins a side till 130F. this version goes well plated with mashed pots, grilled corn, slaw, beans, and such. it also goes well on a baguette sammie with a light shmear of brie and a glass of wine.

@Darryl - swazies , if you find your crust and sear is hard enough, go indirect after the crust is built and let it come to temp with a probe. this way your fear of burning it will cease.

this video will offer some insights in cooking a TT:

question, is that the usual TT dry rub pre smoke?

i am only speaking from my TT cooks, that a heavier exterior rub and dry brined time will produce a barkier outside on the TT as shown in the pic I googled and shared.

my "rub" varies.

If I have not planned ahead I'll pat dry and coat it with SPOG or montreal steak or some other salt/pepper/spice blend.

If I plan ahead, I'll dry brine on a rack, uncovered in the garage fridge for a few hours to overnight with salt and black pepper, and then hit it again before it goes to smoking.

My last batch of TT's in the freezer are vacuum sealed after rubbing in montreal seasoning.

I haven't done a wet brine or marinade on TT for a while, yet it is tasty too. a Friend does a wet brine with brown sugar, red wine, red wine vinegar and Italian spices and it is tasty.

when i lived in Paso Robles for 2 months, i discovered TT for the first time (1994) as i was still quite new to CA. it was THAT crust that made it for me, taste and texture wise. sliced up TT on a baguette type bread and i was in heaven. i only recco the crust method if someone wants to experience a traditional TT.

I first had tri tip in Santa Barbara in the early 80s. The same style and it was amazing. That said, I'm the only one here that likes some char crust and a little extra fat left on. And, the recent TTs I've gotten from costco were trimmed fairly close and fork tenderized. For several months they did not have the cryovac bags with 4 or 5 TTs in the bag. Those were not trimmed as close as the ones under plastic.

I think in the end its a very versatile cut, and we are lucky to have it readily available ( price not withstanding but I won't' go there...)

my "rub" varies.

If I have not planned ahead I'll pat dry and coat it with SPOG or montreal steak or some other salt/pepper/spice blend.

If I plan ahead, I'll dry brine on a rack, uncovered in the garage fridge for a few hours to overnight with salt and black pepper, and then hit it again before it goes to smoking.

My last batch of TT's in the freezer are vacuum sealed after rubbing in montreal seasoning.

I haven't done a wet brine or marinade on TT for a while, yet it is tasty too. a Friend does a wet brine with brown sugar, red wine, red wine vinegar and Italian spices and it is tasty.

I first had tri tip in Santa Barbara in the early 80s. The same style and it was amazing. That said, I'm the only one here that likes some char crust and a little extra fat left on. And, the recent TTs I've gotten from costco were trimmed fairly close and fork tenderized. For several months they did not have the cryovac bags with 4 or 5 TTs in the bag. Those were not trimmed as close as the ones under plastic.

I think in the end its a very versatile cut, and we are lucky to have it readily available ( price not withstanding but I won't' go there...)
Makes damn good chili by the way.

I’ve made it brisket style, smoked and then seared (my favorite way), sous vide and seared and made into chili. I’ve rubbed with various rubs (Scott’s Santa Maria style seasoning is my go-to and favorite rub) and marinated in various concoctions. Unless you WAY over or undercook it, it will be good. Living in Idaho, I have been able to afford to experiment with it. This week, RR Ranch, a subsidiary of Snake River Farms, has choice Tri-tips on sale at my local Albertson’s (another Idaho HQ’d company) for $3.99/lb., no limit. My freezer is full of tri-tips!

Last edited:
I appreciate the information, the thread should have been called everything you need to know about tri tips.....
I made it home and got the tri trimmed and made a rub and applied it.
Rub was not overly measured, seems I have a better eye for it than I used to a couple years back...it included.
Salt
Pepper
Sugar...just a bit
Smoked paprika
Garlic
Onion
Tumeric
Cumin
Ancho
Guajillo
Annato
Oregano
I applied it fairly liberally.
A few pics, hopefully I can get a couple live action and a couple end result.
I seen someone post this is good on a bun.....highly considering pairing it with pirogies and putting the beef on a bun.
I just don’t have the energy to make a full meal with salads and other things that will take me another hour, long day.
I would hate to add sauce to it though, but don’t want it to be dry.
?

Attachments

• C7551410-442C-4A7A-86AB-097950ED25B7.jpeg
    C7551410-442C-4A7A-86AB-097950ED25B7.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 11
  • E3B7AE9E-F1A4-4B89-BC3E-E21627C454FA.jpeg
    E3B7AE9E-F1A4-4B89-BC3E-E21627C454FA.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 10A4ADF7-7B22-498D-B023-2F925C7E4977.jpeg
    10A4ADF7-7B22-498D-B023-2F925C7E4977.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 11
I appreciate the information, the thread should have been called everything you need to know about tri tips.....
I made it home and got the tri trimmed and made a rub and applied it.
Rub was not overly measured, seems I have a better eye for it than I used to a couple years back...it included.
Salt
Pepper
Sugar...just a bit
Smoked paprika
Garlic
Onion
Tumeric
Cumin
Ancho
Guajillo
Annato
Oregano
I applied it fairly liberally.
A few pics, hopefully I can get a couple live action and a couple end result.
I seen someone post this is good on a bun.....highly considering pairing it with pirogies and putting the beef on a bun.
I just don’t have the energy to make a full meal with salads and other things that will take me another hour, long day.
I would hate to add sauce to it though, but don’t want it to be dry.
?
TT is never dry unless you're cooking at too high a heat. medium high is more than enough heat. say 375-425. and you're moving it every 6 mins. you can always go offset indirect if you're flaming it and burning the rub.

i recco you start with an adult bev before you start. it will calm you down some and make the cook more pleasurable.

you got this. don't overthink it. less is more. if fear becomes you, go indirect to get to temp.

Also forgot to mention, I should get a couple hours spice sitting before cook, they are calling for light rain in a couple hours.
FUN.
Cocktails started before I trimmed the beef, just like an automotive painter, 3 or 4 beers to keep a steady hand ;)
I’m not scared to cook anything, I as usual just want it to be as best as it can be.
Thanks for looking out, if you ever go to cook braised beef ribs with a wine reduction or something hit me up for tips.........:p

Last edited:
Okie dokie, it’s raining and it wasn’t forecasted.....
Fire has to start soon.
Plan adjustment apparently, now going for the cook on the JJ in the garage.
It’s half the reason why I have it and the other half is for travel...which is coming shortly for fishing....
JJ has coals waaaaaay closer to the grill, but we have a killa grilla in there, let’s make it happen.

Dinner was insane good. The MRS was seriously satisfied. Thanks again everyone.

Attachments

• 465B598B-F5F5-468B-BC5E-A69D4B8903AC.jpeg
    465B598B-F5F5-468B-BC5E-A69D4B8903AC.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 3E57B4C0-5B3B-4300-96A5-EDC5B2A5558E.jpeg
    3E57B4C0-5B3B-4300-96A5-EDC5B2A5558E.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 21
  • C52A9E78-6322-46D6-A39E-C57F3F678B66.jpeg
    C52A9E78-6322-46D6-A39E-C57F3F678B66.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 21
  • B8185D1E-9AE4-4C4E-B711-99EE56B44429.jpeg
    B8185D1E-9AE4-4C4E-B711-99EE56B44429.jpeg