Tri tip

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Emerald Member
So being in Ontario trip tip and pork steaks are something we just do not see.....I was able to grab both very recently.
We get picanha ect ect........
So I have 2 tri tips now, I plan on a mid week tri tip cook tomorrow.
I have no idea what I am cooking.........everyone give me tips.
Seriously, thawing it out now for tomorrow night, tell me about the cut, how I should spice it, marinade isn’t my favourite but I could get the MRS to help me out during the day as she is home and I am at work.
I have lots to work with at home, buns, sides ect and sides that really help would be cool too.
Looks like I should cut against the grain, this looks fairly obvious.
Around here they seem to call these steak tails...lol.
Thanks in advance, look forward to secret tips.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 29
it's a roast that cooks like a steak and slices like a roast.

medium high heat, direct over coals. flip every 6 mins until 130F internal, tent with foil and rest for 10 minutes.

traditional Santa Maria seasoning:

Ingredients​

• 1 (2 1/2 to 4 pound) tri-tip
Santa Maria Rub (enough for a 4 pound roast)
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon finely ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (or fresh, finely minced)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried sage

rub and let rest for 4 hours, then grill as above

Sounds good, I would traditionally cook it less than 130( steak wise) but how rare is too rare?
I like steaks served at 128 ish...nice n rare, but this as a roast should a more medium cook?
I also plan to reverse sear....indirect and then sear and usually it’s still under which means it can sit to the side for a few more to hit temps.

I prefer to smoke it slow until 120F internal, then do a reverse sear.

edit: I've found pecan wood is great with the tri tip.

edit2: here's some I've cooked. the last one i took to 124F internal before reverse searing.

Cutting it properly is the most important part. Seeing the grain and how it changes helps.

1654647667821.png

Last edited:
Yes...thank you.
No comments on the sharpie marks that says trip tip.
Says steak tails but they write tip tip in sharpie...
This itself made me chuckle when I bought it.

Sounds good, I would traditionally cook it less than 130( steak wise) but how rare is too rare?
I like steaks served at 128 ish...nice n rare, but this as a roast should a more medium cook?
I also plan to reverse sear....indirect and then sear and usually it’s still under which means it can sit to the side for a few more to hit temps.
When I reverse sear, I cook TriTip to 130. Let ir rest for 15ish minutes. Then do the sear and serve right away. No need to rest. The trick is the IT of the meat will drop low enough during the rest to not cook anymore during the sear.

Undercooked IMO makes it chewy. I like the 130°F pull, tent and rest. You could go 128°F. You’ll gain 3-5 degrees in tented rest. I don’t like TT rare. It’s like wet leather.

And I’m a fan of Santa Maria style as it builds a nice crust and soft inside. To me, that’s what makes TT special. If you want smoke, add wood to the coals and it’ll put out nice smoke.

These are smoked then hot seared on the WSM 18.

1654650279780.jpeg

Thanks for the cooking tips and the link......everything looks really good.
I took note on the cook, to be under cooked....or rare is not ideal.
I generally go for rare on my beef and most of the time the rest brings it up to a medium rare state that tends to be not all the way red form edge to edge. I will probably take the cook to 130 before removing from the grill advice....seems to be what most of you are saying. I do enjoy a picanha cook to a rare state, stays nice and tender even when its very red.....but that's another story.
My roast seems to have a lot of fat on it but that doesn't affect me in a negative way at all. It is also not so much in a triangle shape but the vac pack could reveal a different story once I get it open tonight. I think I have enough ingredients to make a Santa Maria style rub, I do not have anything in the way of ancho or any other chili powder unfortunately, and I read that the chili portion of the rub really sets it apart from others.
I have lots of Oakridge.......I really trust and enjoy what they make.....just not his one.
1654692627324.png

The rub for the recipe calls for paprika, not ground chile. While I do, on occasion add it, it’s not mandatory.

Everywhere I looked online....as I looked for different Santa Maria recipes seemed to use some sort of dried chili like ancho????
Isn't that just what a dried poblano is called?
I see paprika in there too, people calling for a sweet paprika..........I have regular and smoked.
I don't feel at all worried about it, I don't live in California so I am not worried I cannot achieve a mixture that is centered around that area.
While I won't just toss steak spice on it and hope for the best I hope I can put together something with a bit of a kick to it....I see some calling for cayenne pepper in the rub mix.

I also am going to try the low heat indirect option, many online recipes call for high heat and direct with lots of flipping.....
I am allowed to mess food up........but I prefer not to wreck a piece of meat ever if I can avoid it.

I also am going to try the low heat indirect option, many online recipes call for high heat and direct with lots of flipping.....
I am allowed to mess food up........but I prefer not to wreck a piece of meat ever if I can avoid it.
The direct heat and flip method helps build a nice crust using a traditional Santa Maria rub. Going indirectly, imo, leaves the outside bark mushy and gross. I’ve done both and really prefer the texture and taste of the bark. The indirect then seared leaves the outside wet and delivers a gross mouthfeel, again, imo.

Your meat. Your choice. It’s pretty hard to mess up a TT. Just don’t leave it and carbon it.

Last edited:
Darryl I do mind little brisket style wife don’t like all that red in the meat so I’ll smoke it for two hours and wrap it in a pan for about an hour

Attachments

• E0DD116B-06BD-4F4D-B1D2-41568C340B93.jpeg
    E0DD116B-06BD-4F4D-B1D2-41568C340B93.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 931B5876-592E-47EC-9B78-D1E7CC0CC70A.jpeg
    931B5876-592E-47EC-9B78-D1E7CC0CC70A.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 3
Darryl,
I love Tri Tip, and I have cooked them direct over a single layer of charcoal (flipped every 6 mins, pulled at 129-130, done in about 30 mins), simi slow and seared (with the SnS), and really low and slow and then reverse sear. I know it is not tradition Santa Maria style, but my favorite is really slow and reverse sear. And as Dan shared I love using pecan wood. I like to take it to 129 in the center and as I feed the family a Tri Tip is great because the edges are more done then the center (they like more done then me). I do think that due to the chewiness of the Tri Tip a touch higher internal is not a bad idea, but I know you like your meat a touch rarer then I, so I wouldn't pull it any lower then 125, but knowing your preference I would probably tell you to pull it at 125...
I think all of the methods and advice here is great and will lead to an amazing meal tonight. If you want to cook it traditional follow the direct over a single layer of charcoal method, you want to do what I think is your and mine favorite way to cook a roast due reverse sear!

Back