Tri tip

Thanks for looking and the compliments.
Great cook Darryl, hope you loved it as much as all of use who shared on this thread. I love Tri Tip sandwiches with the leftovers (if there are any).
I sliced vey thin pieces for beef on a bun today, it looks like it's going to be really tender and delicious.....the MRS says she plans on the same.

Thay looks seriously good! I am more well done now days. Yet that is perfect.
How long on indirect and then sear?
Awesome
It came out to about a medium, very juicy at that point, would repeat exactly the same next time. I had the meat on for around and hour, no idea how hot the bbq was, just used my eyes and hands.....went against Brett's best advice and reverse seared it but I did use his spice advice. Treated it like a picanha, outside texture was also great. Smoke was peach wood, this has become my go to for everything besides long brisket cooks or similar which I like to mix peach and hickory.

Reviving this older thread because I picked up my first ever Tri Tip and needed some advice. I haven't seen tritip in a Milwaukee-area Costco for quite a while, so I headed to local butcher shop this morning and found a choice 2.5 lb roast. Between this thread & the more recent @Tim-wannabe-smoker reverse sear post, I've got a rough idea of what I want to do. I've got it dry brining in the fridge right now and am still deciding whether to just go with SPO or something a little more elaborate. Probably going to do it indirect at 225ish and then reverse sear. Wish me luck.

1687112469113.png

I'm so excited to finally try this. If there's no pictures later, that means something went terribly wrong. :D

Reviving this older thread because I picked up my first ever Tri Tip and needed some advice. I haven't seen tritip in a Milwaukee-area Costco for quite a while, so I headed to local butcher shop this morning and found a choice 2.5 lb roast. Between this thread & the more recent @Tim-wannabe-smoker reverse sear post, I've got a rough idea of what I want to do. I've got it dry brining in the fridge right now and am still deciding whether to just go with SPO or something a little more elaborate. Probably going to do it indirect at 225ish and then reverse sear. Wish me luck.

View attachment 72874

I'm so excited to finally try this. If there's no pictures later, that means something went terribly wrong. :D

The crust is everything, IMO.

Good luck, I bought this today…..supposedly cut it tri tip steak, looks cut the right way so we will see I guess.
Going to heavy on the salt and use a good amount of high heat.
I avoided it previously as it seems like they are trying to jump on the band wagon and the cuts looked crappy, but these caught me eye walking past today…..price is fair an hopefully they come out tender enough.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 4

View attachment 72874

Nice! Thats a good looking piece of marbled TriTip. With the salt already added you could go with a black pepper, paprika & garlic mixture to season it up. With a crusty hot sear it should be stellar. Im doing a salt brined, reverse sear TriTip myself today. Happy Fathers Day!

Last edited:
Good luck, I bought this today…..supposedly cut it tri tip steak, looks cut the right way so we will see I guess.
Going to heavy on the salt and use a good amount of high heat.
I avoided it previously as it seems like they are trying to jump on the band wagon and the cuts looked crappy, but these caught me eye walking past today…..price is fair an hopefully they come out tender enough.
I'm confident the pitmaster will work his magic on these little morsels. Good luck and Happy Fathers Day!

Last edited:
it's a roast that cooks like a steak and slices like a roast.

medium high heat, direct over coals. flip every 6 mins until 130F internal, tent with foil and rest for 10 minutes.

traditional Santa Maria seasoning:

Ingredients​

• 1 (2 1/2 to 4 pound) tri-tip
Santa Maria Rub (enough for a 4 pound roast)
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon finely ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (or fresh, finely minced)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried sage

rub and let rest for 4 hours, then grill as above
What is medium high heat at the cooking grate level 300-350? Also what sides do you usually serve with Santa Maria style?

350-400°. That’s where the crust develops. Lower than that and you’re roasting it.
Oh I agree, hotter is better when it comes to searing. I just wanted to know what "medium high heat" meant to you. It's kind of like when people tell you to "head northwest". I like more specificity when it comes to cooking or driving directions :)

Oh I agree, hotter is better when it comes to searing. I just wanted to know what "medium high heat" meant to you. It's kind of like when people tell you to "head northwest". I like more specificity when it comes to cooking or driving directions :)
450-500° is high heat. 500°+ is searing heat (think 600-700°). I think Morton’s steak house broils at 900-1000° for their steaks.

Back