Tri tip

Pretty successful cook and the family really liked it. So that means they will let me cook it again in the future, not just on Father's Day. :)

Decided to use my pellet grill today. Put it on at 5:00 around 225 degrees, shooting to eat between 6:30-7:00.
PXL_20230618_215733183.jpg

It started cooking a little faster than I was hoping, so I bumped it down to 200 for a little while to slow it down, and then bumped it back up towards the end. It took about 1:45 to get to my 133 target temp. Then I opened up the sear station over the burn pot.
PXL_20230618_234336103.jpg

Here's the searing
PXL_20230618_234637981.jpg

I was shooting closer to medium, and it was pretty close.
PXL_20230618_235129311.jpg
PXL_20230618_235753079.jpg

Not very many leftovers at all, so that was a good sign.

it's a roast that cooks like a steak and slices like a roast.

medium high heat, direct over coals. flip every 6 mins until 130F internal, tent with foil and rest for 10 minutes.

traditional Santa Maria seasoning:

Ingredients​

• 1 (2 1/2 to 4 pound) tri-tip
Santa Maria Rub (enough for a 4 pound roast)
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon finely ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (or fresh, finely minced)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried sage

rub and let rest for 4 hours, then grill as above
Bret,
I like this type of rub it brings out the tri tip
tip flavor, but the last couple years I have been rubbing on seame oil before the dry rub , on almost everything beef, I love its nutty smell during the cook and that little bit of extra flavor also give it a try when you do a few steaks, add it to one to see how you like it .

Pretty successful cook and the family really liked it. So that means they will let me cook it again in the future, not just on Father's Day. :)

Decided to use my pellet grill today. Put it on at 5:00 around 225 degrees, shooting to eat between 6:30-7:00.
View attachment 72916

It started cooking a little faster than I was hoping, so I bumped it down to 200 for a little while to slow it down, and then bumped it back up towards the end. It took about 1:45 to get to my 133 target temp. Then I opened up the sear station over the burn pot.
View attachment 72922

Here's the searing
View attachment 72923

I was shooting closer to medium, and it was pretty close.
View attachment 72941
View attachment 72942

Not very many leftovers at all, so that was a good sign.
That pre sliced charred photo wow! Great cook, and happy Father's day.

Bret,
I like this type of rub it brings out the tri tip
tip flavor, but the last couple years I have been rubbing on seame oil before the dry rub , on almost everything beef, I love its nutty smell during the cook and that little bit of extra flavor also give it a try when you do a few steaks, add it to one to see how you like it .
Do you find that it burns easily due to its low smoke point? I use sesame oil in a lot of my Asian cooking. More are a finishing oil near the end so as to not adulterate it’s flavor profile. The nuttiness is super nice. I do add a drizzle into hummus to up the tahini flavor.

I’ll have to try out your suggestion.

Do you like a peanut dipping sauce with steak? We make a Thai peanut dipping sauce that goes really well with red meat.

Do you find that it burns easily due to its low smoke point? I use sesame oil in a lot of my Asian cooking. More are a finishing oil near the end so as to not adulterate it’s flavor profile. The nuttiness is super nice. I do add a drizzle into hummus to up the tahini flavor.

I’ll have to try out your suggestion.

Do you like a peanut dipping sauce with steak? We make a Thai peanut dipping sauce that goes really well with red meat.
I'd be afraid to sear steak with Sesame oil for that reason too. Sometimes my grill gets 500+ and not alot of oils can hold up to that. I would think maybe a finishing glaze with toasted sesame oil would be good or or a dipping sauce like Brett suggested sounds tasty too. My favorite steak dipping sauce lately is Carolina Gold from Trader Joes. Love that combo of sweet, mustard & vinegar flavors.

Back