Trad Rolled Pork Shoulder Sunday Roast.

TonyUK

TVWBB Guru
Went to my butcher today and picked up a 3lb piece of rolled pork shoulder.

Roast pork is a favourite for a traditional UK Sunday roast. Instead of cooking it in the oven, I decided on the O18.

ProQ coco-shell briqs for fuel, with a mix of maple and apple wood chunks. SPOG for the win.

Here we are half way through the cook. IT about 75F.

IMG_0070.jpg

Sun going down and things progressing nicely.

IMG_0075.jpg

IT at 135F. Ready to pull off the grill. That crackling on top is crunchy goodness.

IMG_0076.jpg

Ready for the carve.

IMG_0077.jpg

Your plate: Roast spuds. Steamed cabbage, leeks, carrots. Yorkie puds and onion gravy. (Crackling at 10 o'clock!!).

IMG_0078.jpg

Hope you had a grate weekend.

Last edited:
Great looking Sunday Dinner, Tony! Wouldn't be the same without the Yorkshire pudding! I much prefer roast pork for Sunday Dinner over the roast beef......always seemed more juicy and tender (though it all tasted great after a few pints!) :)

Good to see you post up a cook, been a minute!

R

Hey Rich. You seem quite conversant with the UK Sunday roast, ie after a few pints.
Yep, been a while since I posted a cook. Life.
I'm the same as you, I prefer roast pork to roast beef, (which is still the favourite over here).
Sunday roast without Yorkie Puds? Jailable offence in my opinion. ;)
I quaffed a pint or three during the cook.

Last edited:
So roast on Sunday is a British tradition. I did not know that. My Mother prepared a chuck roast every Sunday. She would put it in the oven before church and after church we would have a large Sunday lunch of roast with mashed potatoes, roast gravy, two or three vegetables, salad, and hot roll.

I don't know how that became our Sunday dinner, unless it went back through generations.

Looks wonderful Tony. We used to do similar when I was a kid many moons ago unfortunately we don't do that anymore. Life changes I guess.

So roast on Sunday is a British tradition. I did not know that. My Mother prepared a chuck roast every Sunday. She would put it in the oven before church and after church we would have a large Sunday lunch of roast with mashed potatoes, roast gravy, two or three vegetables, salad, and hot roll.

I don't know how that became our Sunday dinner, unless it went back through generations.
Hi Lynn.
Sounds very similar to the roast your Mum used to make.
Traditionally Sunday roast was the special treat-of-the-week back in the day when there was no such thing as disposable income.

Hey Rich. You seem quite conversant with the UK Sunday roast, ie after a few pints.
Yep, been a while since I posted a cook. Life.
I'm the same as you, I prefer roast pork to roast beef, (which is still the favourite over here).
Sunday roast without Yorkie Puds? Jailable offence in my opinion. ;)
I quaffed a pint or three during the cook.
Had the opportunity to indulge during visits while my daughter was in school in London (UCL.) I'm a pretty big fan of the traditional English breakfast, too! :) Though prefer mine with coffee.

I get the life thing! Come around when you can!

R

Back