Thrifty beef cuts

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
I wasn't really sure where I should put this. The link contains a list of the top roasting/grilling cuts of beef that are NOT T-bones or rib eye or filets.

It provides the various names of different cuts as well as (their) "flavour" rankings and recommended cooking method.

The experience I've garnered on TVWBB tells me this is a great resource page to bookmark. I hope you find this to be the case too.

http://www.thehealthybutcher.com/livetoeat/volume17/LiveToEat-Volume17-SustainableSteaks.html

Last edited:
That's an interesting list but I wonder if it was targeted more at the people who generally stick to high-end cuts, as just about all of those steaks and roasts show up here on a regular basis!;)

It's really amazing how these supposedly "overlooked" cuts are now priced in the premium range. Flanks, skirts, tri-tips and sirloin are all priced at almost $6.00/lb where I live. I would like to try the "shoulder blade steak" from a bovine, since I just took a "shoulder blade steak" from a porcine off the grill an hour ago....

I noticed that too Mike. One of my fav cuts for grilling is top sirloin but it's near the bottom. Best of all, it still goes on sale for $2.99. Not so for the others--flank steak is more than prime rib (around here anyways)

Last edited:
overlooked cuts = tri tip, flank, skirt and sirloin? LOL I think I have three of the four in my freezer. I must have overlooked them. :)

Thanks Len for posting this. I'm saving the sight as I learned alot about these cuts of meat, where they come from on the cow and how best to prepare them, which is mostly medium rare, which is also my favorite way to to have my steak done!

You wanna find truly thrifty beef cuts?! Find a Mexican grocery store that has a butcher in the back. Flank and all the good "use to be cheap" cuts are there. I saw flank for $2.69 at mine, a long with several other beef cuts with the grain running long ways, if you know what I mean! :)

Thanks Len.

I don't think the other posters were criticizing your link, just pointing out that consumers have figured out that these lesser known cuts are good eating. Retailers have in turn raised prices in response to this demand.

Thanks Len.

I don't think the other posters were criticizing your link, just pointing out that consumers have figured out that these lesser known cuts are good eating. Retailers have in turn raised prices in response to this demand.

Absolutely -- no disrespect intended on my part whatsoever.

Frankly, I believe all beef cuts are more expensive today because of the drought last year. If it continues, then we will continue to thoroughly enjoy pork even more. If we have good growing weather (for corn, etc.) this coming season, then beef MAY come down in price (don't hold your breath).

On the other hand, being limited to smoked pork chops, regular bone in pork chops, Boston Butt, and ribs, ribs, ribs, is not necessarily a bad thing!!:wsm:

Dale53

The flat iron steak is ridiculous around here now. A couple of years ago it was $2.49 a pound. Now it is $8.99!:mad: It is cheaper to buy T-bones.

I remember when the Butcher used to give away Oxtails for free, and Beef Shank's were considered Dog or Soup Bones..:confused:
Chuck Eyes where 99 cents a Lb cause no-one knew how to cook them Lol'
Times are a changin..

Tim

Thanks for the link, Len. Good info on those often missed morsels... :p
Is it me or does that Tri-tip look like a Quad-tip ?
Remember well the Spencer steaks Stater Bros carried, at a most decent price... Then the name changed...

Back